Join Today
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT5-R View Post
    the point they are making Mark, is that your service people will have set the correct gap for your car, but your re-map may require a closer gap set to counter the extra boost trying to blow out the spark a certain points in the rev range.
    Right got you thanks!! I wasn't quite grasping this, but do now. I'll take a look and make the adjustments if required.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT5-R View Post
    the point they are making Mark, is that your service people will have set the correct gap for your car, but your re-map may require a closer gap set to counter the extra boost trying to blow out the spark a certain points in the rev range.
    http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...p.asp?mode=nml

Q: Do I need to set the "gap" when installing a new set of plugs?

A: Maybe. A spark plug part number might fit hundreds of different engines from many different manufacturers. Although the NGK factory will set the gap to a pre-selected setting, this may not be the right gap for your particular engine. The incorrect plug gap for your engine can contribute to a high rate of misfires, loss of power, plug fouling, poor fuel economy, and accelerated plug wear. It is always best to check the gap against the manufacturer's specifications. If adjusting the gap on fine wire or precious metal plugs such as platinum or iridium be very careful not to apply any pressure or prying force to the fine wire center electrode or insulator as they can be damaged. The gap should be adjusted by only moving the ground electrode.

Another consideration that should be taken into account is the extent of any modifications that you may have made to the engine. As an example, when you raise compression or add forced induction (a turbo system, nitrous or supercharger kit) you must reduce the gap (about .004" for every 50 hp you add). However, when you add a high power ignition system (such as those offered by MSD, Crane, Nology) you can open the gap from .002-.005".

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    Recommended gap is 0.8 which is 31 thou`ish .......mine are set at 0.7 which is 27 thou........i would say 22 thou is too low as 25 was the norm. before metric and electronic ignition!

Miss firing at 3-3,500rpm on a turbo is usually plugs but get the proper Volvo ones not Bosch or NGK ......Volvo specified Bosch ones will give no problems even after a large mileage whereas any of the other makes may give miss fires at around 8,000mls and you won`t find the problem as you think you have new plugs!

Pay once, fit once, fit Volvo!
    VOLVO is Bosch

You Shouldnt re-gap platium/fine tip plugs, there will be another Part number with the correct Gap.
    Last edited by Santa; Saturday 5th April 2014 at 21:48. Reason: Easier Flow

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    You Shouldnt re-gap platium/fine tip plugs, there will be another Part number with the correct Gap.
    I had to re gap ngk 8's the other week

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamest5r View Post
    I had to re gap ngk 8's the other week
    there will be another number for the specified gap you set yours, As for spark blow out there may be when runing anything bigger than a std 19t

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Right, the car is in for a full service at Readview Volvo on the 22nd of this month. Therefore, new plugs and we'll see if those with a reduced gap to normal makes a difference. Let you all know after I've tested her.
    Last edited by foammanmark; Friday 4th April 2014 at 17:29.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to foammanmark For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Friday 4th April 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Recommended gap is 0.8 which is 31 thou`ish .......mine are set at 0.7 which is 27 thou........i would say 22 thou is too low as 25 was the norm. before metric and electronic ignition!

Miss firing at 3-3,500rpm on a turbo is usually plugs but get the proper Volvo ones not Bosch or NGK ......Volvo specified Bosch ones will give no problems even after a large mileage whereas any of the other makes may give miss fires at around 8,000mls and you won`t find the problem as you think you have new plugs!

Pay once, fit once, fit Volvo!

The only plugs not suitable for re gapping are the three pronged ones, stated in the appropriate Volvo Handbook

VOLVO is Bosch
    Read my post again it says Volvo Bosch........which are Volvo specified plugs made by Bosch......Bosch cannot sell them as it is copyright!.........The only proper specified plug for the STANDARD engine is Volvo Plugs

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:

soothingduck (Friday 4th April 2014)

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    The only plugs not suitable for re gapping are the three pronged ones, stated in the appropriate Volvo Handbook

Read my post again it says Volvo Bosch........which are Volvo specified plugs made by Bosch......Bosch cannot sell them as it is copyright!.........The only proper specified plug for the STANDARD engine is Volvo Plugs
    I dont need to read your post again! THERE NOT COPYRIGHT!! they have the right to distribute FACT!

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Volvo don`t make spares. They get company`s to make spares to Volvo spec and label the parts "volvo"

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

12. The Following User Says Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Friday 4th April 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I dont need to read your post again! THERE NOT COPYRIGHT!! they have the right to distribute FACT!
    Volvo spec. plugs are copyright as they have spent years with there manufacturer,Bosch to get the heat range correct for all models, Ford plugs after 2005........ and also want to profit from them doing so.

Here are a few posts from the VOC of which Clan has worked for Volvo`s for over 40yrs.........there are loads of different items made by others to Volvo specs for Volvo and they are not off the shelf at the aftermarket places they are all captured parts from Volvo.

One of my friends works in the parts department at Volvo and he says the same about plugs.....you cannot buy a Bosch plug with the Bosch part number on it from Volvo ......ONLY the Volvo specified plug made by Bosch with the Volvo code pressed in around the centre metal part of the plug.

To prove to yourself go try and buy a set with a Bosch part number as i have asked my mate and they cannot be ordered.
    Last edited by Santa; Saturday 5th April 2014 at 21:50. Reason: Do not attach images/content for which you have no ownership - Removed any potential personal attacks

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Bosch like other manufactuer's spent ££££s Designing there plug for VOLVO Bosch are the Owner of the copyright NOT volvo!

Your saying Bosch spent £££s develping a plug then made spent £££s making a lesser plug to sell to the aftermarket.

Why dont other manufacter a VOLVO badge?? well its because VOLVO own the Name so other's cannot copy that why you cant copy a Volvo or any other vehicle embluem.

We will have to agree to disagree, Eurocarparts/Unipart/Central auto supply and thousands of other motor factors are now going to go out of business because of supplying all these copyright infregmnt lesser parts.

Oh btw ive just bought a Bosch air flow metre, Oh just noticed that every part number on the air flow metre is the same as every other part number on the original Bosch volvo air flow metre, funny that?

One more point keith, I havent pushed my Company on this thread mate. nor the sale of plugs to anyone on this thread.
    Last edited by Santa; Saturday 5th April 2014 at 21:52. Reason: Easier Flow - Removal of potential personal attacks

Another day,Another part. The
    Volvo pile is getting bigger

Thanks
    Its getting pointy in here

16. The Following User Says Thank You to soothingduck For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Friday 4th April 2014)

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by soothingduck View Post
    Its getting pointy in here
    Bosch make that particular plug for various other vehicles too, NOT just for Volvos hence you dont see the Volvo number on the plug (ONLY THE ONES from Volvo). It would certainly upset the local ford comunity. lol
    Last edited by Santa; Saturday 5th April 2014 at 21:53. Reason: Removal of any potential personal attacks

Thanks
    I worked at a motorfactors untill 2012 and would say bosch make a range of plugs to suit all cars with the bosch name on them BUT they do not make all plugs with bosch on them. Each bosch plug will match a number of makers part numbers because the plug is close to each makers plug requirements. If you want the plug for your car that is set right then you need to go to Volvo otherwise said plug may need to be adjusted. Yes bosch made the volvo plug but they made it to Volvo spec ie the gap/temp/lifespan. A plug with the Bosch name on it will be close but not quiet spot on.

There i've said it now.

Thanks
    Its not a copyright thing its just good business. I think the Bosch range goes to number 57 or so and that covers all engines. If they made a plug just right for each car they would need a range of hundreds.

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Anyone want a beer

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    I respect your opion but the gap is the same as the volvo plug, its thesame plug. you should not re gap a long life fine tip plug. btw the plug range is massive as you quite rightly said it would need tobe,

Anyone want a beer
    lol i dont drink im on the lemonade pmsl
    Last edited by Santa; Saturday 5th April 2014 at 21:53. Reason: Easier Flow

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Anyone want a beer
    Me, I've had 6 dry nights now. What've you got?

From injectors to plugs, and beer in the same thread. Just a normal one really..................lol.
    Last edited by Santa; Saturday 5th April 2014 at 21:54. Reason: Easier Flow

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Anyone want a beer
    Yes please.

Thanks
    I myself use bosch and it works fine. But if i was to mod my engine then the volvo plug would not be the correct plug anyway.
    MY opinion its just that, thats what forums are for.I dont want to get into a fight, just tossing the night off really.
    Last edited by Santa; Saturday 5th April 2014 at 21:55. Reason: Lets not offend other forums :-)

Thread Information