Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I like cars, lots and lots of
    cars.
    Thanks

V70 T5 New owner with questions.

Ok, so in about an hours time, my 2000 V70 T5 (tiptronic) should be rocking up here, I bought the car cheap (and blind) and really don't know an awful lot about them.

I've got an '96 850 tdi which doesn't miss a beat (works hack) and a 2012 XC90 which is pretty damn good too. I just have always fancied a T5 (it's going to replace the works hack).

So what I'd like to know is; What are the weak points on the T5's, what kind of power gains are to be had (and which ones are the most responsive/give biggest gains), where's the best place for performance parts.

I've always had Vauxhalls previously (have 2x Cav Gsi's too) so know what works for them, but not a clue when it comes to Volvo's.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Well as you've got an early phase 2 car you should be wary of the DIM and ETM module, and as yours is an early geartronic, they can have issues to.

Also, as its an auto, the handbrake will probably be useless. Also keep an eye out for rear brake calipers and wishbones will probably need doing at about 100k.
    Last edited by LiamT4; Saturday 15th March 2014 at 20:51.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

cars.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    Well as you've got an early phase 2 car you should be wary of the DIM and ETM module, and as yours is an early geartronic, they can have issues to.

Also, as its an auto, the handbrake will probably be useless. Also keep an eye out for rear brake calipers and wishbones will probably need doing at about 100k.

Well the car turned up about an hour ago (with one of VPCUK's stickers in the rear window so some of you may know the car) and the MOT failure sheet in the paperwork doesn't make great reading.

Usual niff naff and trivia - drop links, steering arms (tie/track rods?) a couple of rubber boots, a couple of brake hoses excessively corroded, NO RESERVE TRAVEL ON PARKING BRAKE but the plethora of advisories is a little daunting - Eng Management light on, T/C light on, and a couple of other dash lights too.

But for a 138000 mile car that needs little to put it on the road, I'm very pleased indeed, now to just get the LPG hooked back up and everyone's a winner

Is the handbrake an easy fix btw?

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Possibly, i don't fix things myself, i pay for someone else to do it for me. But it didn't cost me much to get mine done, so i expect its easy lol.

The main issue would be the gearbox, as most other things can be done pretty cheap now
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forum.
    Speaking from experience, it's a very brave man that buys an early P2 blind, especially a geartronic one.
    I'm quite lucky in that my ETM andDIM seem to be fine although the 'box is starting to show signs of needing a overhaul/replacement.

My first port of call would be a stage 0 service/tune. Also, check any service history for software updates etc and transmission fluid changes. If there isn't one then i'd recommend doing that ASAP! make sure you use JWS3309 spec oil for the transmission as other grades may cause issues. Also, find someone near you with VIDA and ask if you can get codes read and cleared, or buy it yourself from ebay. These are a must own service item for a P2.
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jdavis For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Saturday 15th March 2014)

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
    Also, find someone near you with VIDA and ask if you can get codes read and cleared, or buy it yourself from ebay. These are a must own service item for a P2.
    Give me a shout if you do want them read & cleared.

cars.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    Speaking from experience, it's a very brave man that buys an early P2 blind, especially a geartronic one.
    I'm quite lucky in that my ETM andDIM seem to be fine although the 'box is starting to show signs of needing a overhaul/replacement.

My first port of call would be a stage 0 service/tune. Also, check any service history for software updates etc and transmission fluid changes. If there isn't one then i'd recommend doing that ASAP! make sure you use JWS3309 spec oil for the transmission as other grades may cause issues. Also, find someone near you with VIDA and ask if you can get codes read and cleared, or buy it yourself from ebay. These are a must own service item for a P2.

I've gone through all the paperwork & receipts it has with it, and it's had a Recon gearbox circa 20000 miles ago, and the ETM module done a couple of years ago too. Goes like stink, is pretty straight and at £275 for a 99/00 car with LPG and a T5 private reg. I'll get the steering/suspension failures sorted and throw it at a MOT centre next week and see where we're at but I think I'm going to end up keeping this as my hack and the 850 will be retired so long as I get the LPG working.

Harvey - yeah mate that would be cracking. Not sure of MOT regs and warning lights (been hearing all sorts from different people) but concerned the warning lights = MOT failure, so will have to acquire trade plates unless you're ever over this side of the moors and have an interest in clunky broken cars lol

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Well, at least the box should be ok for a while. Just get it all sorted BEFORE you do the lpg, as it'll be easier to sort out the issues first.

cars.
    Thanks
    Well, at least the box should be ok for a while. Just get it all sorted BEFORE you do the lpg, as it'll be easier to sort out the issues first.
    Yeah - once the codes have been read etc, it'll all be sorted before the LPG is reconnected.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Owengsi View Post
    Well the car turned up about an hour ago (with one of VPCUK's stickers in the rear window so some of you may know the car) and the MOT failure sheet in the paperwork doesn't make great reading.

Usual niff naff and trivia - drop links, steering arms (tie/track rods?) a couple of rubber boots, a couple of brake hoses excessively corroded, NO RESERVE TRAVEL ON PARKING BRAKE but the plethora of advisories is a little daunting - Eng Management light on, T/C light on, and a couple of other dash lights too.

But for a 138000 mile car that needs little to put it on the road, I'm very pleased indeed, now to just get the LPG hooked back up and everyone's a winner

Is the handbrake an easy fix btw?
    Steering arms - Stick with OEM or Nordic. Patent parts tend to be the wrong length thread and you'll never get the dam things fitted correctly.
    Rubber boots - OEM only. Patent ones are crap and don't last 12 months.
    Brake hoses - Any good garage with a proper bleeding machine. Good opportunity to fill the system with ATE blue 5.1 fully synthetic. Lasts 5 years!! and looks cool.
    Parking brake - You'll need OEM brake shoes and new cables plus the rear brake shoe service kit. Worth doing yourself if you want the job done nice. Otherwise a good garage that has worked on V70's will be fine.
    EML - See Harvey or Main dealer.
    Couple of other dash lights - Namely what??

If you take your car to the Dealer and have a service for £300 it will include a full software update (F.O.C) of ALL modules and ECU's on the car. The dealer will update modules individually at a big cost to you, so the service route is the best option.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Sunday 16th March 2014 at 00:44.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Owengsi (Sunday 16th March 2014)

Norfolk born and bred.
    Give me a high 6!!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Parking brake - You'll need OEM brake shoes
    As Lee says, make sure you get the VOLVO shoes. I have learnt from experience. Thought I would save a few pennies and get pattern ones. NIGHTMARE! Went on but no good. Size very slightly wrong but enough to render them useless.
    Buy Volvo, buy once!!
    Me: 2005 V70 2.4 T5 SE. All standard.
    The Wife: 2008 C70 2.5 T5 SE. All standard.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    welcome aboard. sounds like Chris and Jean's old car (porcine aviator) is it silver?
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Owengsi View Post
    Harvey - yeah mate that would be cracking. Not sure of MOT regs and warning lights (been hearing all sorts from different people) but concerned the warning lights = MOT failure, so will have to acquire trade plates unless you're ever over this side of the moors and have an interest in clunky broken cars lol
    I do work all over the place,next time I am over your way at the end of the day will drop you a PM to see if your are about.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts

:

cars.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    welcome aboard. sounds like Chris and Jean's old car (porcine aviator) is it silver?
    Yeah that's them. What do we know about the car then?

Looked through the old MOT's and the one I was looking at was the previous years' and according to Jean the MOT just expired, and have LOADS of receipts etc too.

The EML is on, but the others have gone out today.

Harvey - I'll PM you my number, I'm home every weekend and usually one day midweek, so sure we can arrange something (Thankyou)

cars.
    Thanks
    Name:  VOLVOS.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  91.5 KB

The only one I have right now is this one - all 3 Volvo's in one picture

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Thats good news then as i think they had a new box fitted a few years back.

cars.
    Thanks
    Thats good news then as i think they had a new box fitted a few years back.
    Yeah a recon box done a few years back, I took her for a quick blast up the lanes, not bad for a barge

This user has no status

Thanks
    I also bought my 2000 X V70 T5 blind.

It went quite well for what it was, but I only kept it for 10k miles as the fuel bills were killing me and I was pretty sure there was some massive bork on the horizon.

Bloody good fun though.

X435 HTF where are you now.

ps. It was on its 3rd gearbox with me, and was needing a 4th (bloody gay-tronics!)
    2010 XC90 D5 Polestar.
    ex: 2004 V70 D5 163 facelift
    ex: 2001 V70 T5 gay-tronic

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    They christened the car "Christine" it had a hunger for new parts lol. 2 gearboxes overall, 2 radiators, wishbones, steering rack etc etc.
    It was in lovely condition last time I saw it and they always made sure any work was done properly as neither of them could tolerate cowboys lol.

Nice couple and missed around here.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Thread Information