Join Today
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    As much as it's annoying when it rains, for me there's just something about a well polished car and the way it beads when it gets rained on.... then you have to drive it on wet roads and it becomes filthy which is cringe worthy! lol

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bonelorry View Post
    Typically it rained after all my hard work yesterday, On the plus side it gave me opportunity to take a beading picture.

Collinites No:845.....

Yep - job well done there mate

You're really making me look at the T5-R in a new light.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Another job off the list that I have been wanting to do for quite a while, Had an early finish this afternoon so stayed behind and replaced the brakes on the car.

Sadly it did not quite go to plan as the OSR brake caliper needs replacing, The outer piston is seized but I was not surprised after all it is a 19 year old car and those ATE twin piston designed calipers where never the best of designs.

I did not even bother trying to free the piston as the seal is torn so I have ordered a new caliper which comes tomorrow morning.

Over the last few days a few last minute decisions where made regarding the brakes, In the end I opted not to fit the Goodridge Braided Hoses. Since all the flexible brake hoses have been replaced on the car by the previous owner so are virtually new along with the majority of the metal brake pipes that have been replaced with Copper ones so I left them alone.

Not sure everyone will approve but I also decided not to go for Genuine Discs and pads for no other reason than I did not think it was worth the extra £150 for the Genuine items. I have had good experience using the Pagid brake products from Euro Car Parts on a daily basis and on my Saab last year and since I have a trade account through work it made sense to go down that route. Not that money is an issue especially where the car is concerned but I paid only £100 for the front and rear discs and pads and they are of very good quality indeed.

So the car is on the ramp at work overnight until the new caliper arrives in the morning then on Saturday I will be painting all the calipers, Disc bells and disc guards Black.

Hopefully give it a quick wash ready for Sundays meeting at Grantham.

So brake wise the car has had...

New Pagid Front discs and pads with 302mm upgrade
    New Pagid Rear discs and pads
    New Pagid rear pad anti rattle and pin kit
    New OSR brake caliper
    Brake fluid change using ATE Super racing blue brake fluid

Off with the old...

New 302's up-front...

This user has no status

Thanks
    Another nice job completed, your lucky you've only need 1 caliper, I've had 3 on mine since I've had it, only got one original one left... Lol
    I can see your logic regarding the brake hoses but I still think you should have opted for the braided items. In any case as I said job well done and you'll no doubt notice a nice improvement over the original ones

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    Another nice job completed, your lucky you've only need 1 caliper, I've had 3 on mine since I've had it, only got one original one left... Lol
    I can see your logic regarding the brake hoses but I still think you should have opted for the braided items. In any case as I said job well done and you'll no doubt notice a nice improvement over the original ones
    Its already had at least one of the calipers replaced on the front by the previous owner, I made the decision not to get the car mapped and to leave it as standard as possible with just a few sensible upgrades along the way.

Trouble is with the braided items is that you cant clamp them off should you need to do any further brake work in the future, Not the main reason I opted to leave the stock hoses but something else I considered.

Fact is the car never gets driven in anger at all and will never see a track day so knew that standard pads and hoses would be more than upto the job, I thought the 302's where a worthwhile uprgade and I wanted to change the brake fluid for some decent stuff for piece of mind. I do not need braided hoses or more hardcore pads so think that what I have gone for will be fine.

Thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bonelorry For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Thursday 15th August 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Its already had at least one of the calipers replaced on the front by the previous owner, I made the decision not to get the car mapped and to leave it as standard as possible with just a few sensible upgrades along the way.

Trouble is with the braided items is that you cant clamp them off should you need to do any further brake work in the future, Not the main reason I opted to leave the stock hoses but something else I considered.

Fact is the car never gets driven in anger at all and will never see a track day so knew that standard pads and hoses would be more than upto the job, I thought the 302's where a worthwhile uprgade and I wanted to change the brake fluid for some decent stuff for piece of mind. I do not need braided hoses or more hardcore pads so think that what I have gone for will be fine.

Thanks
    Fair enough, the 280's are crap tbf even with the standard power, the 302's should have been factory fitted to these, especially when you think that Volvo marketed these as the "performance" model in the lineup. I've been happy with the performance of the 302's on mine but I'd like to upgrade to the AP's next year, although if I'm honest with myself it's probably going to be more for looks than braking performance as like you I don't do track days and don't really drive the car like a racing driver either..

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Good update it looks like you and me both have the same idea of what we want from the cars I know mine is no where done but I want it nice and standard just to enjoy the nice smooth drive, I know my t5 is fun but is really pi$$es me off when I just want to cruse along with the harsh ride and then running mbc wanting to boost all the time as soon as I touch the pedal

This user has no status

Thanks
    Fair enough, the 280's are crap tbf even with the standard power, the 302's should have been factory fitted to these, especially when you think that Volvo marketed these as the "performance" model in the lineup. I've been happy with the performance of the 302's on mine but I'd like to upgrade to the AP's next year, although if I'm honest with myself it's probably going to be more for looks than braking performance as like you I don't do track days and don't really drive the car like a racing driver either..
    Don't get me wrong, I have had the AP 340mm fronts on my old 854 T5 and they where unreal but on the T5-R it would be a step in the wrong direction.

If I went down the tuning route, Forged rods etc then I would without a doubt go for something more hardcore. Since there are very few Manual Gul Saloons left that are even worth buying these days mine just has to stay standard or as near as.

It will be going up for sale early next year so I want it to appeal to enthusiasts and I am hoping the work I have done will help the car retain its value. I am thoroughly enjoying owning the car and making my mark on it but I always planned not to keep it long term.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by t5 pete View Post
    Good update it looks like you and me both have the same idea of what we want from the cars I know mine is no where done but I want it nice and standard just to enjoy the nice smooth drive, I know my t5 is fun but is really pi$$es me off when I just want to cruse along with the harsh ride and then running mbc wanting to boost all the time as soon as I touch the pedal
    Thanks Pete,

I will be keeping an eye on your Gul project Pete, You are only over the hill from me probably a 15 min drive so I wouldnt mind popping over one day if OK with you?
    Last edited by bonelorry; Thursday 15th August 2013 at 22:31.

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    You would be more than welcome to pop over anythime,
    Once the winter time gets here and my work starts slowing down I can get back on with the gul but at the min I don't have a spare min ive got all the bits ready to fully do the under body now and get all the metal work done.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Don't get me wrong, I have had the AP 340mm fronts on my old 854 T5 and they where unreal but on the T5-R it would be a step in the wrong direction.

If I went down the tuning route, Forged rods etc then I would without a doubt go for something more hardcore. Since there are very few Manual Gul Saloons left that are even worth buying these days mine just has to stay standard or as near as.

It will be going up for sale early next year so I want it to appeal to enthusiasts and I am hoping the work I have done will help the car retain its value. I am thoroughly enjoying owning the car and making my mark on it but I always planned not to keep it long term.

Cheers

Thanks Pete,

I will be keeping an eye on your Gul project Pete, You are only over the hill from me probably a 15 min drive so I wouldnt mind popping over one day if OK with you?

Really!?!? You can't let another immaculate Volvo slip through your fingers in a short space of time, you've got to keep it. Not many will cherish it like you've done over this short period...

This user has no status

Thanks
    Really!?!? You can't let another immaculate Volvo slip through your fingers in a short space of time, you've got to keep it. Not many will cherish it like you've done over this short period...
    Yes this was always my plan, Buy and own the best example I could get my hands on. I am enjoying the car and enjoying improving it but the car will be pretty much what I consider finished very soon, I will use the car for a few months get it MOT'd in Jan 2013 and see how I feel at the time.

I will most likely sell it on though if I got a buyer, I never wanted to keep it long term as I have plans for building something and having a bit of a project car in the pipeline so will need the money to fund that next year.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Had another few hours on the car this afternoon finishing the brakes off, Fitted the new OSR brake caliper which turned out to be an ATE re manufactured unit but had to cut and re-flare the copper brake pipe that goes into the caliper.

The old caliper was totally goosed.

I removed the 3 bleed nipples from the other calipers and cleaned up all the threads before refitting then bled the braking system using about 1 litre of Super Blue, Adjusted the handbrake and then took the car for a quick test drive....All good.

Job for tomorrow afternoon is to get all the brakes painted up.

Cheers

This user has no status

Thanks
    Another very productive afternoon today, Finished work at 12.30pm and in the 850 came into the workshop for some more finishing touches.

Very happy indeed with this afternoons work, Its all about the little details now with the car and today I did the following...

Painted all the Brake Calipers, Disc bells, Disc vents and Disc guards with Hammerite Smooth Black.
    Removed all four tyres and fitted new rubber valves in the wheels
    Removed all the old stick on balance weights
    Nitrogen infated all the tyres
    Rebalanced the wheels
    Rotated the tyres front to back

Few snaps from today's activities....

Wheels off...

Removed all the old weights and then did a painstaking job off getting the old residue off each wheel...

Tyres off, New valves fitted. No worries about marking the wheels as I fit my own tyres...

Nitrogen inflation, Excuse the marks on the wheel its just tyre bead lubricant, Then re-balanced the all four wheels...

Everything painted up, Ready for the wheels to go back on, New 302's upfront...

Not the best pics and the car needs a wash but you get the idea, Very happy with the outcome, One of the front...

One last one, Of the rear...

your mars a welder

Thanks
    looking better all the time bud , proper nice motor this

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Very very nice, brakes are looking great, can't believe you even have a 'Gul' ramp !

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leet5r View Post
    looking better all the time bud , proper nice motor this
    Quote Originally Posted by V70 Graham View Post
    Very very nice, brakes are looking great, can't believe you even have a 'Gul' ramp !
    Cheers chaps, Very happy with the level the car is at now. Just an Oil n Filter change and ofcourse the paint correction next week and the car is finished, Everything is crossed of my list of to-do's.

Thanks Simon

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bonelorry For This Useful Post:

leet5r (Monday 19th August 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Nice work Simon

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

bonelorry (Wednesday 21st August 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thought I would update the thread with the cars current spec as of today as it has undergone quite a bit of work and new parts fitted over the last few months.

What turned out to be just carrying out Stage 0 ended up turning into a bit of a restoration project and an already very well looked after car has now gone up to another level. It has been a much quicker turnaround than what I initially expected but I managed to get through my list of To-Do's in just a few months.

Although its been pretty intensive and has taken up pretty much all my spare time after work and at weekends not just fitting new parts and renovation work but also detailing the car and all the little details its been worth it, I can now just enjoy the car for a while without worrying about anything.

I wont do a checklist as the list of parts I bought and fitted are found earlier in this thread...

Spec:

Volvo 850 T5-R, Registered Dec 1994, Standard M56 Manual Gearbox, Currently on 105260 miles.

Engine:

Standard B5234T5 engine, Stock 15G turbo reconditioned by A.R turbos in previous owners ownership, New clutch and slave cylinder, Gearbox oil changed using Genuine Volvo fluid, New Bosch Lambda sensor all replaced/changed within the last 6000 miles.

Full Stage 0 has been carried out in the last few months by myself plus a few more items including...

Genuine Ignition leads, Genuine Distributor cap & Rotor Arm, Genuine Spark Plugs, Genuine Fuel Filter, Full PCV Kit, Genuine later style BCS and all new Vac pipework/hose clips, Genuine Coolant temp sensor, Genuine Thermostat with seal, Genuine Header tank, Genuine Green Expansion tank cap, Coolant change using Genuine Volvo coolant, New D088 Silicone Hose kit in Black 2 x Radiator hoses, 2 x Header tank hoses, New D088 Silicone 5 piece Turbo boost Hose Kit in Black, New stainless Hose Clips throughout on the turbo and coolant hoses.

New Powerflex upper engine mount, New later style rubber firewall mount, Power Lower engine tie bar large bush.

Exterior:

Standard T5-R bodykit, Creme Yellow in colour, Genuine Volvo Mudflaps allround and Genuine Volvo headlight protectors, Genuine Volvo DTM style exhaust tailpipe, Underside, Front Turrets and Rear Chassis legs fully undersealed using Bilt Hamber Dynax.

Interior:

Standard T5-R interior, Half leather half alacantara seats, Walnut dash surround with matching gearknob and Alacantara gearbag, Genuine Volvo T5-R floormats with yellow emblems in unmarked condition with genuine Volvo heavy duty rubber overmats, Genuine Volvo fire extinguisher, Genuine Volvo optional rear window blinds.

Wheels & Tyres:

Standard T5-R 17" x 7j Titans with matching spare, All 5 Refurbished in Anthracite with Pirelli P-Zero Asymmetric Tyres in 205/45R17 88W Fitment allround, All Nitrogen filled and rebalanced by myself.

Brakes:

Brand new brake Discs and pads all round last week including 302mm front upgrade and a new OSR brake caliper, All calipers, Disc bells, Disc vents and Disc guards painted black. ATE Super Racing Blue DOT 4 Brake fluid.

Suspension:

Stock T5-R suspension fully overhauled by the previous owner within the last 6000 miles with new Boge Shock absorbers, New springs, New top mounts, New front lower suspension arms and New suspension links, Genuine Volvo front strut brace.

In car entrainment:

Kenwood CD head unit with IPOD connection, Factory Volvo alarm and additional CAT 1 alarm/immobiliser. Also have original Volvo CD/Radio head unit.

Future plans:

Apart from the car having a minor paint correction next week and carrying out an Oil & Filter change over the next few months as it was done prior to myself purchasing the car just over 1000 miles ago so is not due yet I have no plans for the car.

It is for me pretty much finished and getting the paint correction done will be the icing on the cake, It is a bit too late to start showing the car this year so I will just enjoy it and ofcourse keep it in as good condition as possible.

The car received a lot of positive comments by fellow members at the Grantham meeting on Sunday aswell as Tim Williams saying it was probably the best Yellow one he had seen aswell as having a good poke around and giving it his approval which meant alot! I was asked by a few people about the future of the car and what my plans are and my reply was....

I have done what I always set out to do, Own a Gul Yellow T5-R and hopefully make my own mark on it. I have and still are enjoying my ownership with the car but I am not in it for the long haul, The MOT is due at the end of December and I have already decided that I will be advertising/selling the car after the MOT.

I was told I am mad for even considering letting a car like this go especially with all the work I have done but that was always my plan from day one, It is a very special car, Totally unique and a car I am glad I had the chance to own.

As said it wont be for another few months yet and until the MOT has been done but I am hoping the car will go to a fellow enthusiast and a good home!

Thanks Simon

This user has no status

Thanks
    I too hope that a serious enthusiast will continue what you and the previous owners have tried so hard to do, maintain one of the best 854 T-5R's to the best of your abilities

Oh and after tirelessly trawling my pc look what I found... Knew I recognised it..

23. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

bonelorry (Thursday 22nd August 2013)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I too hope that a serious enthusiast will continue what you and the previous owners have tried so hard to do, maintain one of the best 854 T-5R's to the best of your abilities

Oh and after tirelessly trawling my pc look what I found... Knew I recognised it..
    Thanks Andy, Great snapshot! Must be a few years ago as it had the original plate fitted! Think he put his private plate on for about a year until I purchased the car.

Its in for the paint correction a week today, Looking forward to the results!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to bonelorry For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Friday 30th August 2013)

Thread Information