Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kick Back .....

This user has no status
    Thanks

Kick Back .....

Not meaning to get all boy racer'ish, but was having a wee blast on the motorway towards Edinburgh with a BMW 335i coupe, i have to say i was very impressed with how my C70 T5 held its own and basically kept on the tail of the 335 ...

Few questions though ....... whilst going from 3rd gear, to 4rth then to 5th .. hitting the upper rev range before changing, whilst lifting the clutch pedal up after every change the car would give a quick kickback ... apart from that the car was fine ....... any idea's ???
    Also, is getting 17mpg normal if nipping on ? ...

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    not sure what you mean by the kick back, but i've had the average mpg down to 14.7

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    not sure what you mean by the kick back, but i've had the average mpg down to 14.7
    Mmmm ... like a sudden jolt .... shock ....

It only done this when really pushed ... as i say it was perfect any other time ....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by st1t5 View Post
    Mmmm ... like a sudden jolt .... shock ....

It only done this when really pushed ... as i say it was perfect any other time ....
    sounds like it could be overboosting?? have you altered anything like the actuator arm. my first T5 did it cos someone had altered the actuator arm which goes to the wastegate, so all the power in the turbo was low down and by the time it hit the high revs the turbo had nothing left.
    it felt like you had hit something for a second ie. a sharp jolt, and then as soon as you changed gear and the turbo spooled down again for a bit it was ok. not 100% certain but it does sound uncannily similar.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mightywolf View Post
    sounds like it could be overboosting?? have you altered anything like the actuator arm. my first T5 did it cos someone had altered the actuator arm which goes to the wastegate, so all the power in the turbo was low down and by the time it hit the high revs the turbo had nothing left.
    it felt like you had hit something for a second ie. a sharp jolt, and then as soon as you changed gear and the turbo spooled down again for a bit it was ok. not 100% certain but it does sound uncannily similar.
    The car is totally standard mucker ... just the way i like it ...

Dont think it was overboost as it was'nt happening before changing gear but was happening as the clutch was being released, as it was hitting the biting point !! ..
    The power delivery all the way through the rev range was great .. even at 3 figure speeds the car was still boosting perfect ....

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Not meaning to get all boy racer'ish, but was having a wee blast on the motorway towards Edinburgh with a BMW 335i coupe, i have to say i was very impressed with how my C70 T5 held its own and basically kept on the tail of the 335 ...

Few questions though ....... whilst going from 3rd gear, to 4rth then to 5th .. hitting the upper rev range before changing, whilst lifting the clutch pedal up after every change the car would give a quick kickback ... apart from that the car was fine ....... any idea's ???
    Also, is getting 17mpg normal if nipping on ? ...
    you wanna race a 335d they are awesome one totally blew me away coming off a duel carriageway roundabout in my s70 t5

This user has no status

Thanks
    Depends if they are remapped or not. The standard one is quick alright but a t5 will hold it.
    Chipped tho they are a different kettle of fish...

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If you mean a 'shudder' through the transmision as the clutch re-engages after a 'racing' gear change? then it sounds like a problem I had with an Audi a few years back. That was eventually reduced (although never completely cured) by changing the Dual Mass Flywheel (and clutch, as the clutch was knackered). I assume yours has a DMF, in which case it is probably not worth worrying about until the clutch needs changing.
    Laser Blue 2000MY V70R (Phase 3) awd, Rica 330, 04 C70 front, Goodridge Hoses - Now up for Sale as of 15th April 2013 - pm me for info.

This user has no status

Thanks
    can someone tell me the spec (performance) of the 3, 3.5i?

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jt racing View Post
    Depends if they are remapped or not. The standard one is quick alright but a t5 will hold it.
    Chipped tho they are a different kettle of fish...
    trust me a 335d will leave a t5 for dead 428ib ft of torque, 0-62 in 6.1 secs i just read an ad stating it was the fastest production diesel in the world

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowt5r View Post
    can someone tell me the spec (performance) of the 3, 3.5i?
    3.5 is 302 bhp 0-60 in 5.6 secs its still a 3 litre just with 2 turbos and the 3 litre has 268 bhp 0-60 in 6 secs these are for the new models

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    I'd suspect a 335D would be quicker in the real world than the 335i.

the 335 has 295lb-ft of torque flat from 1500 to 5200rpm - now it's a heavy car (1650kg) so would probably be slower than a chipped T5 (1450kg or so) through most of the rev range till it hit about 5000rpm and then would pull away a bit.

A 335d is auto only, and would pull away from a T5 from about 3000rpm upwards.

Both Beemers chip well - so if either was remapped - they would annihilate a T5 chipped or otherwise, so maybe that 335d you met was chipped ?

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status

Thanks
    lmao st1t5, you must be having a laugh. found a snip from this link http://www.verdictoncars.com/jsp/voc...300&pageid=665

Which means the 335i has got plenty to prove. It's actually twin-turbocharged, with two small compressors supplying air to three cylinders each in an attempt to eliminate turbo lag. Working in conjunction with direct petrol injection, the end result is certainly impressive: in addition to 300 bhp the 335i musters an equally potent 300 lb/ft of torque. BMW claims that producing a 4.0 litre V8 engine tuned to deliver the same power would be 140 kg heavier. And the 335i's performance figures are certainly impressive: 0-62 mph in just 5.5 seconds and - as you'd expect - a top speed artificially constrained by a 155 mph limiter.

And, once on the road, you are certainly hard pressed to detect any evidence of turbocharging. The 335i pulls cleanly from low revs with no evidence of turbo lag - nor is there are there any of the whooshing noises that tend to come from forced induction: instead there's just a slightly muted version of a 330i soundtrack.

please tell me how on earth you kept on the tail of this????

was he towing you ? lol

15. The Following User Says Thank You to yellowt5r For This Useful Post:

JelT5 (Monday 12th July 2010)

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    lmao st1t5, you must be having a laugh. found a snip from this link http://www.verdictoncars.com/jsp/voc...300&pageid=665

Which means the 335i has got plenty to prove. It's actually twin-turbocharged, with two small compressors supplying air to three cylinders each in an attempt to eliminate turbo lag. Working in conjunction with direct petrol injection, the end result is certainly impressive: in addition to 300 bhp the 335i musters an equally potent 300 lb/ft of torque. BMW claims that producing a 4.0 litre V8 engine tuned to deliver the same power would be 140 kg heavier. And the 335i's performance figures are certainly impressive: 0-62 mph in just 5.5 seconds and - as you'd expect - a top speed artificially constrained by a 155 mph limiter.

And, once on the road, you are certainly hard pressed to detect any evidence of turbocharging. The 335i pulls cleanly from low revs with no evidence of turbo lag - nor is there are there any of the whooshing noises that tend to come from forced induction: instead there's just a slightly muted version of a 330i soundtrack.

was he towing you ? lol
    LOL you really don't read the strings do you? the post above yours I wrote is talking about exactly that or do you prefer Trolling ?

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors

This user has no status

Thanks
    i put the link in so it s1t5 can read it for himself.

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks

was he towing you ? lol

See post #13 - 335 vs remapped T5 deathmatch

BMW kerb - 1600kg - torque stock 300lb-ft - lb-ft/kg = 0.187
    S60 T5 kerb(2002) - 1430kg - torque mapped 280+lb-ft - lb-ft/kg = 0.195
    > 4% more torque per kg in the Volvo

BMW kerb - 1600kg - power stock 295bhp - bhp/kg = 0.184
    S60 T5 kerb(2002) - 1430kg - power mapped 280bhp - bhp/kg = 0.195
    > 5.9% more power per kg in the Volvo

Conclusion - S60 T5 will be quicker than a 335 until it's torque tails off @ 4500rpm.... and then quicker after that, until a very high speed (where the extra power of the beemer will matter as ultimate aerodynamic drag will be the issue).

Final Conclusion - under 130mph Volvo will be quicker

So... the story of how the Volvo stuck with the 335, best of all... he wasn't being towed
    Last edited by t5_monkey; Sunday 11th July 2010 at 20:20.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    lmao st1t5, you must be having a laugh.
    Damn .. you sussed me out ....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by v70rade View Post
    If you mean a 'shudder' through the transmision as the clutch re-engages after a 'racing' gear change?
    Yeah, i was using the ''racing'' gear change method .... its maybe just my T5 but i have always thought that the racing gear change method in my car just confuses the ETM system ... maybe thats where the ''jolt'' was comin from ....

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yeah, i was using the ''racing'' gear change method .... its maybe just my T5 but i have always thought that the racing gear change method in my car just confuses the ETM system ... maybe thats where the ''jolt'' was comin from ....
    I think that gearbox just doesn't like to be rushed... mine does it too.

Thread Information