Join Today
    Forced aspirations
    Thanks

Air Conditioning problem (yes Summer is here :-)

Hi,

Air con was failing / nonexistent. Assumed needed a regas so bought Hellfrauds kit. Started engine, turned on AC and attached bottle&meter to Low pressure port behind OS headlamp. Reading 100+ Psi. This is not normal. Meter is OK as used on another car and readings were normal.

Also noticed no clicking of magnetic clutch and not surprisingly no cold air coming out of vents.

Any ideas what's going on?

Cheers

C

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TenaciousC View Post
    Hi,

Air con was failing / nonexistent. Assumed needed a regas so bought Hellfrauds kit. Started engine, turned on AC and attached bottle&meter to Low pressure port behind OS headlamp. Reading 100+ Psi. This is not normal. Meter is OK as used on another car and readings were normal.

Also noticed no clicking of magnetic clutch and not surprisingly no cold air coming out of vents.

Any ideas what's going on?

Cheers

C
    In all likelihood, the clutch on the AC is worn and not able to engage. On the T5 I had mine reshimmed by a clever chap who dived under the car for twenty minutes. Are you getting lights on your AC controls - and are they continuous?

Forget top-up kits. Bite the bullet and get a mobile AC guy to come round. Yes it costs a few quid more, but SO worth it as they will in all likelihood be fully familiar with 850 foibles.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Flatout Phil For This Useful Post:

TenaciousC (Saturday 22nd May 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    You could try shorting out the low pressure switch on the ac pipe near the bulkhead. If the ac pump kicks in then you may just need a re-gas. The clutch on mine was weak and would kick in if I gave it a direct feed off the battery but wouldn't if connected up normally (current drop through the wiring you see) I wired up a switching relay between the battery and the clutch that was triggered by the original feed and the additional current is just enough to kick it in properly.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nobananas For This Useful Post:

96T5Andy (Tuesday 25th May 2010)

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    measure the air gap on the clutch it should be around 0.4 mm once it gets around 0.8 it wont engage , plenty of info on the web about reshimming the clutch very common problem

This user has no status

Thanks
    Had mine regassed Sat. Full dealer history and had nearly double the gas in it
    Wonder it hadn't exploded........nice n cold now with half the gas !!

Forced aspirations
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your help. I suspect that the compressor clutch may need reshimming. Also to note that my initial observation about 100psi in the low pressure IS actually normal if the compressor isn't running. (I subsequently tested on my other car with engine off and found a similar pressure there too).

Thanks again.

C

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just had mine done today as it was running only on cool, it had 620g of gas in it, so topped it up and now the missus says " it is too cold now lol"...
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

This user has no status
    Thanks
    How much gas should it have in it? I took mine in earlier this week and they said it had no gas when it went in and they got 1000g in!

It was lovely and cold for 10-15 minutes and then back to the warm air before the visit. Following day was nice and cold again for 10 minutes and then back to warm air.

Going back in on Tuesday but any ideas?

Thanks
    Gold V70 D5 SE 2003

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by siamblue View Post
    Just had mine done today as it was running only on cool, it had 620g of gas in it, so topped it up and now the missus says " it is too cold now lol"...
    Yes, my wife is just the same.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy badger View Post
    How much gas should it have in it? I took mine in earlier this week and they said it had no gas when it went in and they got 1000g in!

It was lovely and cold for 10-15 minutes and then back to the warm air before the visit. Following day was nice and cold again for 10 minutes and then back to warm air.

Going back in on Tuesday but any ideas?

Thanks
    My T5 with the the compressor clutch issue first manifested itself by doing this - could be that.
    KISS Rs

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Flatout Phil For This Useful Post:

crazy badger (Thursday 10th June 2010)

Forced aspirations
    Thanks
    Hi All,

Happily before engaging a man to look into this for £££s I happened upon this page:

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=29563

And suddenly recalled that when I removed the dashboard top recently, I noticed that blue relay behind the glove box had popped out. I shoved it in, but in replacing the glove box, I could have knocked it back out again.

Sure enough! It was out again. I pushed in back in, and CAREFULLY put the glove box back. Hey presto air-conditioning back on!

So the lesson here is that the blue relay behind the glove box makes the air conditioning work, and can easily be knocked out by the glove box being removed/replaced. :-)

Cheers!

C

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TenaciousC For This Useful Post:

Flatout Phil (Thursday 10th June 2010)

This user has no status
    Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    My T5 with the the compressor clutch issue first manifested itself by doing this - could be that.
    Well, still only 5-10 minutes of air con at a time :-(

Garage couldn't find the problem only having the car for half a day. They did say the pump was leaking (UV dye fitted when re-gassed could be seen) but the problem appeared to be too much pressure in the system which was switching the pump off.

I'm also having problems with the engine idling, mostly after a long run when the engine is nice and warm. Oil (5W30) is thinning out and as a result of hunting I get the Oil Light and Pressure Warning Message flashing on and off on dashboard.

Not the best diagnosis, but any ideas?

51 T5 Ex-police so done almost 185k but still drives well and want to try and keep her going if its still economical to do so!
    Gold V70 D5 SE 2003

Thread Information