Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Powerflex Front Upper Bulkhead Mount - Just Fitted

Just to let you all know, just been out an fitted the new Powerflex Front Upper Bulkhead Mount on my 850R. Haven't seen anyone write about this on here yet so thought some people would be interested..........

I already have the Powerflex Front Upper Engine Mount so made perfect sense to get the bulkhead mount as this seemed the weak link. First impressions of the bush, its yellow and well its a LOT bigger than the stock bulkhead bush in diameter so won't fit!!! I was a bit confused by this as it says it fits petrol models only, so I contacted the great guys at RT Mechanics seeing as they had worked with Powerflex to produce this. Found out that Volvo replaced the bulkhead mount as the original one failed, luckily RT had some in stock and only about £20 so ordered one up. So it is more likely if you upgrade you will need to do the same.

Once I got the new bulkhead mount found it a LOT better produced and so put it in a press to remove the original rubber bush, as always a complete pain, and I have to say even harder to remove than the OEM top engine mount bush. Once removed I cut out the rubber still left inside the bulkhead mount and inserted the new bush, no modification needed to the bush unlike I had to do on the Powerflex top engine mount when fitting that. (Picture of the 2 attached, the new bulkhead mount has the OEM bush removed)

To remove the bulkhead mount from the car you need to remove the plastic shield below the window, not completely but just enough to get your ratchet and hand inside, that hides all the electric's for the wipers. I then loosened the nuts so the mount started to move downwards, I then removed nut and bolt from the upper engine mount and vertically pulled up the bracket over the top of the engine mount. I then remove the nuts that hold the bulkhead mount and it all came out.

I noticed when loosening the bolt that hold the bulkhead mount in place onto the bracket that the OEM bush was rather worn. I then swopped them and put everything back together on the car. (Photo's attached)

I started the engine and straight away sounded louder from the outside of the car, weird. I took the car for a spin and as soon as I got into the car there was more noise, I put it into Drive (Auto box) and the whole dash started to vibrate quite a bit (was always quiet before), but once moving it all seems pretty normal. I have to say it really feels like it has transformed the car, I even thought it felt like the car had more responsiveness and everything felt tighter.

For me it is a great performance upgrade, but for many Volvo owners the extra noise may not be so welcome.
    Last edited by Big Pete; Wednesday 11th February 2009 at 18:14.
    VOLVO 854R (1996 model)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Pete For This Useful Post:

RT MECHANICS (Wednesday 11th February 2009),T5 ROB (Thursday 12th February 2009)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Russ has fitted one to mine but I have yet to collect the car, not sure about the dash rattle but certainly looking forward to hearing the difference!

Gun Metal Grey - Volvo 850R - Saloon
    Thanks to Russ and team www.rtmechanics.co.uk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AndysR For This Useful Post:

RT MECHANICS (Wednesday 11th February 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    for the £20 do you get the Bush & the metal round bracket bit or just the bush?
    .....sooper moose. '97 850R manual. Yum yum.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    Just to let you all know, just been out an fitted the new Powerflex Front Upper Bulkhead Mount on my 850R. Haven't seen anyone write about this on here yet so thought some people would be interested..........

I already have the Powerflex Front Upper Engine Mount so made perfect sense to get the bulkhead mount as this seemed the weak link. First impressions of the bush, its yellow and well its a LOT bigger than the stock bulkhead bush in diameter so won't fit!!! I was a bit confused by this as it says it fits petrol models only, so I contacted the great guys at RT Mechanics seeing as they had worked with Powerflex to produce this. Found out that Volvo replaced the bulkhead mount as the original one failed, luckily RT had some in stock and only about £20 so ordered one up. So it is more likely if you upgrade you will need to do the same.

Once I got the new bulkhead mount found it a LOT better produced and so put it in a press to remove the original rubber bush, as always a complete pain, and I have to say even harder to remove than the OEM top engine mount bush. Once removed I cut out the rubber still left inside the bulkhead mount and inserted the new bush, no modification needed to the bush unlike I had to do on the Powerflex top engine mount when fitting that. (Picture of the 2 attached, the new bulkhead mount has the OEM bush removed)

To remove the bulkhead mount from the car you need to remove the plastic shield below the window, not completely but just enough to get your ratchet and hand inside, that hides all the electric's for the wipers. I then loosened the nuts so the mount started to move downwards, I then removed nut and bolt from the upper engine mount and vertically pulled up the bracket over the top of the engine mount. I then remove the nuts that hold the bulkhead mount and it all came out.

I noticed when loosening the bolt that hold the bulkhead mount in place onto the bracket that the OEM bush was rather worn. I then swopped them and put everything back together on the car. (Photo's attached)

I started the engine and straight away sounded louder from the outside of the car, weird. I took the car for a spin and as soon as I got into the car there was more noise, I put it into Drive (Auto box) and the whole dash started to vibrate quite a bit (was always quiet before), but once moving it all seems pretty normal. I have to say it really feels like it has transformed the car, I even thought it felt like the car had more responsiveness and everything felt tighter.

For me it is a great performance upgrade, but for many Volvo owners the extra noise may not be so welcome.
    Thats funny ive been doing the exzact same job today, quite annoyed and dissapointed, really want more sound, got jetex twin exhaust, kn panel, top purple bush an i still need to cut out atleast one of the many silencers and get this other bulkhead mount, swear my old 2.0L standard with ecotec valve made more sound, im glad to hear its worth the piss about.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    for the £20 do you get the Bush & the metal round bracket bit or just the bush?
    Hi Niles

The Poly bush is £17.00 and the metal new type mount is £18-20 from memory you will need a new metal mount for this bush to fit we have 20 of them in stock as of today

Also just to add this mount will increase the vibration on idle but does depend how badly worn your old mount is ...

Russ
    Last edited by RT MECHANICS; Wednesday 11th February 2009 at 21:17.
    LOOK at our project :
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16301
    591 BHP 524 Ftlbs torque so far
    The Most Powerful T5 in the UK

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RT MECHANICS For This Useful Post:

Niles (Wednesday 11th February 2009)

Thread Information