Join Today

Threaded View

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Now I've driven it some more, a bit of a review. Well as best as someone with my limited understanding can give!

First off, the one thing I have to try and get across is how much of a nice drive it is. Ever since the latter couple of years of owning the S70, I've wanted/requested that the tunes on my cars make for a nice, easy drive. It's easy to whack the boost up, stamp your foot on the go pedal and take off like a scolded rat. But when it comes to pottering around, those kind of tunes make the car difficult to control, hard work and somewhat of a hassle. You don't want the thing tearing off when you breathe on the accelerator, well I certainly don't anyway!

The way Tim has mapped this car is quite unbelievable. The control you have over the boost, and acceleration is even beyond what he and Shark achieved with the S60. It's an absolute joy to drive. And with the combination of the DMF and V70R clutch, you couldn't want for an easier car to drive. The clutch is light and smooth. The throw of the gear stick is perfect, and it feels positive and smooth yet light and easy to engage. Its so smooth when you lift the clutch and engage the next gear, even with my hamfisted gear changes, it's almost impossible to make changing gear jerky or not smooth. It's hard to believe it's a 20 year old car.

The low down torque is something else. Even running less than a bar of boost up to 4k. It's pulls so strong from low down revs, no other word can describe it other than, impressive. But Jesus Christ, push the pedal to the floor, and the power and acceleration is breathtaking. It pulls so hard all the way to the red line, it's simply relentless. It's without a doubt the fastest car I have ever owned. I have driven my old man's Jaguar XFR a lot, and of course, whilst it would destroy pretty much anything on the road to the high triple figures, I really think this 850 wouldn't be far behind up to 100mph+. I'm simply blown away by the performance of it. And what's more impressive is how this can be achieved, not only with a 19t, but a 19t that is running less than 1 bar of boost to 4000rpm and barely peaking at 1.3bar to the red line. So whilst I have only just got it back, it really should be a reliable set up for the road and the track, I guess time will tell.

The AP brakes feel great. The pedal feels firm and it stops as well as you would wish for, even from cold. I'm yet give them a massive amount of stick but I think the DS2500's are a good compromise for the road and track.

The suspension is superb. The BC's really are incredible value for money. I have Elevate lowering springs on the S60R so it's firmer than standard but d'you know what, I think the 850 rides as well, if not better than that does. Coupled with the rear IPD anti roll bar, it really feels planted and stable. At first I was wanting to set the ride height as low as possible (without causing issues), however I left it to Tim to set up all aspects of the car up to his recommendations, suspension included, so the ride height is approximately where a standard 850R would be. And it's absolutely the right way to go. It sits how it should, and maintains it's practicality. It's perfect.

Best till last; The gripper LSD. It has a slight groan when manoeuvring, which is more than acceptable (and expected from a gripper). But oh my lord. Even with the ££££y Kumho 205's that are currently fitted, it's stunning! Literally on every bend I find myself testing the diff, and it just doesn't stop amazing me. It just goes. Put your foot down, and it just drags the car around the bend. It's undeniably one of the best modifications you can do to a FWD car. It doesn't just bring a smile to your face, it makes you laugh out loud as it seems to defy the laws of physics! I remember fitting a Quaife to the S70 years ago, and being amazed, and I think I even more blown away by the Gripper! I said back then that if you had a standard car, fitting a proper LSD is the first thing I'd do. That advice has not changed, fitting an LSD is one of, if not the most, huge improvements you can make to a standard car!

Overall; Happy is a huge understatement. Everything about the car is perfect. And I couldn't be more appreciative to Tim and his hard work and perseverance. Now to crack on with the rest of the cosmetics!!
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

Biff (Sunday 15th March 2015),cherry1809 (Sunday 15th March 2015),claymore (Saturday 14th March 2015),Dream3r (Saturday 14th March 2015),Jamest5r (Saturday 14th March 2015),martin_r_smith (Sunday 15th March 2015),martybelfastt5 (Saturday 14th March 2015),MIKESC70T5 (Saturday 14th March 2015),Nealevo (Saturday 14th March 2015),Shinsplintz 101 (Sunday 15th March 2015),siamblue (Sunday 15th March 2015),volvokid (Saturday 14th March 2015)

Thread Information