Join Today
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    The Volvo with a 'twist'!
    Thanks

AcidicDavey's 98 V70 AWD - The not an R or T5 thread!

Hello all.

Well here we are, having traded the lovely C70 after just 3 months of ownership the other week for a 205 I miss driving a Volvo....again!

This, for those that don't know, is my late Father's car. He bought it in April 2007 completely standard and died in the December that year having hardly driven it. I was 15 when I took charge of the car, a long time to wait until I could drive it I tell you!

I started a thread for the car on volvoforums.org.uk in 2009 so the full story is there if you're interested. I'll have a quick round up below.

Once I passed my test in November 2009 at 17 I obviously couldn't afford to insure this so I bought a 00 BMW 316i Compact. I sold that one year later (to the day) as I had a years no claims and insurance was a bit more realistic, £4500 @ 17 down to £1800 @ 18 with 1 years no claims. In November 2010 it was ready to get the car on the road for the first time in over 3 years. I spent a month gathering parts and had a slot free in a half term break to take the car down to college to work on the car with no ££££s about!

In that couple of days we fully serviced the car, fitted a Jetex exhaust, and sorted a couple of other little things ready for it's MOT. It passed after having it's front brakes cleaned up a bit. There, legally on the road for the first time in over 3 years, driving a huge Volvo estate at 18, my Dad's Volvo estate.

It must have looked weird, a scruffy young git running around in an old Volvo.

In December '10 I nearly totalled the car in the extreme snow we had. I was going down a hill laughing at the 2wd morons failing to get up it and forgot about the crossroads just ahead! I was hurtling along at 40 or so and went straight into the high verge dead ahead! Thankfully there were no cars passing on the road or the car, well...you get the picture! My passengers were pissing themselves as I reversed off the verge, leaving bits of Volvo behind. A quick check saw that there were no leaks so on we went! It turned out that I'd bent the bumper, fog light brackets, dented the subframe and intercooler and even smashed both radiator mounts, it was hanging by just it's hoses! A new one was obviously ordered and fitted. It was a good lesson that AWD doesn't help you come to a stop. Thankfully I hadn't had the bumpers resprayed until after the incident!

So January 2011 saw the front and rear bumpers resprayed professionally along with a rare as hens teeth Heico splitter fitted. A good eBay find that .

I went on to fit a horrid silver rear bumper guard which is still on the car now, tried to remove it and the excellent tape used has ruined the paint! I'll either get a black guard or wrap it in something jazzy !

Feb saw some 302s fitted on the front and that meant different wheels as the Pureus (or whatever they're called) don't fit over them, I didn't know that until after I fitted the brakes over! Quick swap over to 280s then and I got some Tethys S60 wheels. Nice. The first swap of many I'm sure!

In March 2011 though I thought it was it. Got home from Asda and the gearbox was slipping, got out of the car and found a nice trail of red fluid. Took the car off the road as I thought a seal had failed or something. Bought a lovely 480 but it turned out the atf leak was from one of the cooler lines that worked loose, that was it, I bought a different car for nothing!

Due to the 480's lack of working correctly I had to get the V70 back on the road in June as we were going on a little holiday in a couple of days time. The car was perfect after it's 3 month rest. Here's a photo of it as it was then.

During the 'holiday' the car developed a knock. It turned out to be the rubber mount halfway down, I removed it and it's been on the garage floor ever since. I also fitted a BOV for some reason lol, you barely hear it being an auto of course.

October 2011 saw genuine rear spoiler and a black mesh grill.

December I belatedly fitted a little tribute to my old man on the tailgate.

March 2012 I sourced some C70 Comets and had them resprayed in a dark colour, looked ace on it!

Removed the roof rails for a cleaner look and that was pretty much the last thing I did to the car as I took it off the road in June 2012 for a fling with a Golf and it hasn't been on the road since as I've been driving other tat. Golf went in October and I got that 480 back on the road and then sold that in July 2013 and got the C70 T5, just traded that for the 205 GTi and we're up to date!

This is what the car looks like now having given it's wheels to the C70.

05-11-13 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

05-11-13 002 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

It's filthy and running way too high. I'm thinking that I will be selling the 205 (Yes, I haven't even had it 2 weeks!) and getting this beast back out there.

So there it is, not much will happen for a while but this is out there now.

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    I see what you mean about that rear bumper protector !

The rest of the car does look very nice, especially that front splitter.....should be a no brainer getting shot of the 205 to have this back to her former glory.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

3. The Following User Says Thank You to V70 Graham For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Saturday 9th November 2013)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    It looks well mate! Do you plan on tuning it?
    It's good it has sentimental value &sure your dad would be proud.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Saturday 9th November 2013)

Thanks
    Cheers chaps

I realised after writing this thread on Thursday it would have actually been my Father's birthday on the 7th, how weird is that!?

I do like driving the little 205 but I do seriously think it's time to get this back out there now hence me starting this here.

Mind, I do wish I didn't have emotional attachment to the car, it was for sale in 2008 and someone made an offer and left a deposit and then later pulled out of the deal and we took it off the market. It could have been very different now couldn't it?

My plans for the car are nothing drastic right now, just to get it safe again. Then I will look into getting it ride right as this monster truck ride height is quite comical too!

The engine bay is probably the dirtiest one on the forums at the moment, I'll upload a few more photos soon.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Saturday 9th November 2013)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicDavey View Post
    Cheers chaps

I realised after writing this thread on Thursday it would have actually been my Father's birthday on the 7th, how weird is that!?

I do like driving the little 205 but I do seriously think it's time to get this back out there now hence me starting this here.

Mind, I do wish I didn't have emotional attachment to the car, it was for sale in 2008 and someone made an offer and left a deposit and then later pulled out of the deal and we took it off the market. It could have been very different now couldn't it?

My plans for the car are nothing drastic right now, just to get it safe again. Then I will look into getting it ride right as this monster truck ride height is quite comical too!

The engine bay is probably the dirtiest one on the forums at the moment, I'll upload a few more photos soon.
    Doubt that mate, my bay is vile!!
    Everything happens for a reason & it's fate you still have it.
    Let me know if you need tips on the lowering, I've got everything I need now but would like lower front springs as my -30's have made very little difference to the original R springs.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Sunday 10th November 2013)

Thanks
    Ok, I'm going to say it, I absolutely hate the 205, it is going when the V5 arrives! ;(

Yes it's fun and handles a dream but it's bloody annoying! When it's cold it stalls unless you give it a little rev so you have to sit there holding it at 1.5k before driving off or else it'll cut out when you come to a stop again. Ok, I know it's not a huge issue, probably just needs a good clean through of the breather pipes etc but I'm so lacking the enthusiasm for it right now. I've only had it 2 weeks but I feel like I've had it ages, not a good sign...

I still don't quite know if I want to get this back on the road or buy something else, I guess once I have the money in my hands and see what's on the market then I'll be able to make a decision.

If I didn't have any sentimental attachment to this car it would have been broken a long time ago...

The car does have a few issues...
    It hasn't been started once since last November as there's no battery, borrowed it for a different car.
    One front wheel bearing has failed,
    No handbrake and one rear wheel is difficult to turn,
    Cambelt change is due as it was last done 8 years ago (but only 35000 miles ago!,
    There were various suspension noises when the car was on the road.

Bloody cars, maybe it's me actually!

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Ok, I'm going to say it, I absolutely hate the 205, it is going when the V5 arrives! ;(

Yes it's fun and handles a dream but it's bloody annoying! When it's cold it stalls unless you give it a little rev so you have to sit there holding it at 1.5k before driving off or else it'll cut out when you come to a stop again. Ok, I know it's not a huge issue, probably just needs a good clean through of the breather pipes etc but I'm so lacking the enthusiasm for it right now. I've only had it 2 weeks but I feel like I've had it ages, not a good sign...

I still don't quite know if I want to get this back on the road or buy something else, I guess once I have the money in my hands and see what's on the market then I'll be able to make a decision.

If I didn't have any sentimental attachment to this car it would have been broken a long time ago...

It hasn't been started once since last November as there's no battery, borrowed it for a different car.
    Cambelt change is due as it was last done 8 years ago (but only 35000 miles ago!,

Have a look at my threads for the past 2 years mate. I'd call those problems "cosmetic" lol.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Tuesday 12th November 2013)

Meh.....
    Thanks

Mate sort it out! Are you kidding me? Those problems can be sorted quite easily & instead of wasting money on old French cars spend it on your sweed. You liked the c70 but seems such a waste you not using your v70. It still has the potential to beat any "gti" on the driver stakes & I bet if you put a battery on it & a fluid change it will start.
    I love my big v70. I've spent many a late night working on it on fiddly little jobs like that. Mines getting to a stage now where it feels a different car. Especially when it performs like it did tonight.
    Mot Friday, if it passes it's been well worth it & I don't have to sit on the accelerator to warm it up which I will as my mate with the pugs as he has had trouble with them idling.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Tuesday 12th November 2013)

Thanks
    I must say I am a twit. Regularly make brash decisions and then suffer afterwards

I do struggle to find motivation sometimes and I am a dirty poor child so little issues can sometimes be difficult to fund.

I need to sort my whole life out nevermind just the cars...

Good luck with the Mot on Friday...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

Biff (Tuesday 12th November 2013)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    I must say I am a twit. Regularly make brash decisions and then suffer afterwards

I do struggle to find motivation sometimes and I am a dirty poor child so little issues can sometimes be difficult to fund.

I need to sort my whole life out nevermind just the cars...

Good luck with the Mot on Friday...
    Thanks mate, I need it.
    Needs to be said mate as it's a tidy looking car & to be an enthusiast you need enthusiasm.
    If I were rich I wouldn't be driving an r reg Volvo mate, I'd be driving a polestar!
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

Thanks
    Right, I tried to do a couple of things to this old thing today, let me explain...

I've been noticing some dripping in the boot on the blind, I thought that maybe it was from one of the holes from the roof rails left behind when I removed them last year. Since I decided to have a look it was also a good time to fit some replacement boot struts that I bought in 2010 I think!

When I removed the trim this is what I was faced with...

Damp Hinge by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

I have no idea where it's got in or if it's just there due to the fact the sun literally never shines on that part of the car due to it's positioning, I've dried it all out so I'll keep checking back to see if any water is getting in.

I removed the one old strut with difficulty but couldn't get my replacement ScanTech ones on! I could get each ball on separately but I couldn't get both ends in place at the same time as the strut is slightly too long and I can't compress it even slightly to help with fitting.

How useless am I eh?

So I just left the boot in bits and I'll tackle it another time.

I did find the time to detail the 205 a little, it does look great all things considered. And yeah, the wheels got refurbed...

12-11-13 001 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

12-11-13 003 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Still going mind.

Thanks
    Hey all,

Thought I'd update this. I sold the 205 on 11/12/13 (for a good amount, boy did I nearly get my fingers burnt with that one!) and bought this later that week...

These photos were taken a couple of days ago after a thorough 2 day cleaning session!

Link to full album...

When I got it had the teardrop alloys on it but a week later I put those GTA wheels on it.

I love it, yes, I'm driving a car I love again!

I think I prefer it to the 480 Celeb I had that I sold in July and damn I loved that car!

I do keep thinking about this V70 but I don't bloody know....
    Last edited by AcidicDavey; Friday 3rd January 2014 at 01:16.

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Id love a GTV but just not brave enough to own one, does everything work on it? what does it drive like?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    Id love a GTV but just not brave enough to own one, does everything work on it? what does it drive like?
    It drives, well, fantastically! These have a slight bit of passive rear steering so the turn in is amazing, even compared to the 205! The steering is very quick too, just under one full turn off centre to full lock.

You really shouldn't be scared of these modern Alfas, the only persistent issue these have are the electric windows sticking, this one however is perfect, even the AC works.

One thing to be aware of though is that the TS engined Alfas are known to snap their belts so have a regular interval for a of swap every 3 years.

The twin spark unit is a great engine. This model is a 2.0 with 155bhp which makes it quick enough. No, it's not going to set the world alight but the impressive thing is just how darn smooth it is! Sounds great too, kind of barks which gets more aggressive the higher the revs get.

All in all, if you can find one that's had it's belts recently changed and live with the terrible practicality then go for it.

Buy wise and you won't regret it

22. The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Friday 3rd January 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    Why do you feel you aren't brave enough? Is it because all Alfas are so terribly unreliable? Just like how all Volvos are driven by old men in flat caps who always drive sensibly?

@AcideDavey - how much did you get for the GTI? Surprised you didn't gel with it, but they can be a pretty frustrating experience when they don't run right. My first 1.6 going back 11 years ago was an asshat for stalling too. I was forever making adjustments to the idle speed but it would always idle too high when cold, or stall if set at the correct speed. Back then I didn't know enough about them to sort it out. They're pretty simple to set up in theory but most owners do seem to struggle getting it right, and of course these days the main parts are always worn and new parts like the airflow sensor can't be bought new.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the GTV. I'll have a black V6 with red leather and a Wizardovoz exhaust please
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Gold 'N' Brown For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Friday 3rd January 2014)

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Beautiful car mate, and nice write up

26. The Following User Says Thank You to merc85 For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Friday 3rd January 2014)

Thanks
    Or just get a V6, same insurance, no different on fuel to a T5... But they sound the biz!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

merc85 (Friday 3rd January 2014)

Thanks
    Well I had to jump start a friends Mazda MX5 the other day so what does that say? And yes, before that he was taking the piss out of me for getting a car that will never work lol

TBH, I hated the 205, it didn't do traffic nicely, the steering tried to self centre too much and there was too much lock and as the steering was heavier the more you turned it didn't make for a great drive imo. I admit I never drove it on a proper road but in my world it didn't work well

I was desperate to get rid of it, I kept finding too many issues (there was a hole in the inner wing big enough to stick your hand through). Me being me I wrote a detailed and honest ad, listed it on eBay and the first viewer a couple of days later it was bought out for £1250. Not bad considering I paid £1000 for the C70 and swapped it straight for the 205. Still got some bits from it to sell too

This user has no status
    Thanks
    TBH, I hated the 205, it didn't do traffic nicely, the steering tried to self centre too much and there was too much lock and as the steering was heavier the more you turned it didn't make for a great drive imo. I admit I never drove it on a proper road but in my world it didn't work well

I was desperate to get rid of it, I kept finding too many issues (there was a hole in the inner wing big enough to stick your hand through).
    205 values are on the up at last so not surprised you did well with the sale. And it looked to scrub up well in the pics. The problems you described are not normal for a 205 GTI (I'm sure you probably know that though) so your opinion has been tainted by a bad experience. You probably could have sorted it quite easily and for little money, but equally it could have turned in to a never ending project, to be SORNed for ever more (seems to be the norm these days, and I speak from my own experience too). If your heart wasn't in it, then you made the right move.

Here's some more GTV porn. The aforementioned "Wizard" exhaust for the higher pitched "mini-Ferrari" sound (also pure coincidence that it just happens to be a black GTV with red leather. Lucky swine
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

Thanks
    I guess you've got to remember that 205s are getting on a bit now and they've all been abused. I think the one I had probably was in a crash at some point in it's life. The buyer knew the story and was happy with it so everyone's cool . 'Restored' examples are advertised for stupid figures.

I do wish I didn't buy a Silver GTV but I bought this one due to it's great history, custom exhaust and those lovely innards! It's a Lusso 'Red Style' which gives it the Red dash and Black carpet . It really is a lovely place to be.

I also wish I could have got a V6, the little difference in insurance is a real surprise. Just a £13 difference for myself @ 21 between this TS and a 99 V6 but they make twice as much money and more so I couldn't afford it.

Thread Information