Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

looking for shocks reference - v70r 1999

Hello all !!!

I did not post pictures of my v70 yet but she needs some new shocks. I will go stock, as I will keep oem springs on, but I can not easily identify references on the web, using koni, sachs, monroe or kyb shocks. I guess my shocks are as old as the car, and leak... Plus the car bounces a bit on the road.

Car is from January 1999, type lw62c8.

Please do not hesitate to post references you maybe used on your ride :-)

Thanks a lot :-)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hello!

Does anyone have any idea about a reference I can find online ?
    I can find a few parts in shop on the web, but I can read " does not fit sport / lowered chassis / suspension... Which is a bit tricky... As the R has a lower suspension, compared to a regular v70 :-/

I don't understand and... Do not want to order shocks through Volvo dealer.

Any help is more than welcome :-)

The Volvo with a 'twist'!
    Thanks
    Well, bad news.... Your 99 R will be an AWD correct? AWDs have different style rear suspension to normal models and only came with Nivomat self levelling rear suspension. These replacement rear shocks are only available from Volvo and are made by Sachs and cost £300+ each! The fronts you can literally use whatever you want for these, just the rear that is a pita for off the shelf bits.

If you are feeling flush and really want to improve the car then you could splash out on some KW V2 Coilovers, they work out cheaper than getting shocks and springs from Volvo new! I bought a set and have them on my car.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks a lot for this information.
    For the moment, I just need to change the front elements as they leak. But looking at koni, kyb, and other brands, the website offers me options but says shocks will not fit lowered chassis. If car is 100% stock, do you know what they mean by lowered chassis??

Cordially,
    Nicolas

This user has no status

Thanks
    And in the offer, I notice gas shocks and oil shocks. As I do not know about the oem setup at all, any help is welcome :-)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    looks like he's running a phase 2 V70R awd from the info from the vin plate in his post, so as you say he's a little stuck for options for awd suspension, if you don't mine me asking how much where your KW's and was that a full set or just the rear ??

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

One Clean Volvo
    Thanks
    I'm sure Dave won't mind me answering for him but I'm pretty sure he paid about £1200 for the full set MoleT-5R
    Sooty...

1997 V70 2.5 10v SE

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 500tie For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Thursday 28th May 2015)

The Volvo with a 'twist'!
    Thanks
    Yeah they were £1133 delivered from Larkspeed (cheapest place I could get them from) in the link in my post

They don't include top mounts so for the front I got genuine spring seats and reused my top strut mount plates.

KW V2 Coilovers 003 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Standard R rear shock vs the KW rears...(Maybe you'll see why I replaced them now lol)
    Rear Shocks - Old vs New by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Nicojack - Your front suspension will take any front shock available for these cars. By lowered chassis they will mean cars with lowered suspension like an R which are lowered slightly over a standard V70. They will still fit but not your best option, you will be much better off getting some uprated front shocks from the likes of Koni or Bilstein but just remember, your rear setup is Volvo only so if you need to replace them soon you are simply better off just getting the complete package from KW....

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for this explanation :-)
    I will go through the technical inspection center and read the report. Based on the work to do, I will define my budget...

My Car Will Never Be
    'Finished'
    Thanks
    I've got the same issue, I've got a v70 AWD the same as Davey's. I've been thinking about buying some cheap ebay coilovers and having a bracket fabricated that will go through the bottom of the shock so it will bolt underneath the rear bottom arm as the normal Nivomats do.

Anybody shed any light on weather or not this could be possible?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi all!

A quick feedback after weird adventures on the Web. I bought a used set of low mileage oem volvo shocks to a seller who... Kept my money and never sent them to me. Well, i bought front Monroe shocks with bumper stops and different parts to fit them on my car correctly and the car now handles greaaaat!

No change on the rear shocks as my nivomats seems to be...OK.

Thanks (with some delay...) for your advices and help :-)

Thread Information