Join Today
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kmb View Post
    Maybe he enjoys the challenge of the renovation - I think I saw this advertised as a breaker on Ebay, although it may have been another.

Good luck with the work.
    No, different car as far as I know. I was actually 'invited' to buy this one privately by a lady who works with my Girlfriend and as soon as I saw it I thought "I've gotta have it!".

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

kmb (Wednesday 6th May 2015)

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    Don't worry, it'll be coming to a 'meet' event at some point; just not quite yet.
    I do like the AWDs, can't wait to get back in mine.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

The Volvo with a 'twist'!
    Thanks
    What I'm saying is that I'm surprised how much detail Volvo put in to the R spec models, there seems to be a lot of 'little extras' that add up to make them stand out from the rest of the cars in the range, even the T5!
    Well I'd hope they were well specced, these R AWD Autos were around £38K new plus any options (like the wood set and CD changer)! That's about double what a basic 2.0 Torslanda was! And, don't forget, a T5 isn't a trim, just an engine so you could get them with a variety of specs.

Basically, Volvo went mad with option packs and trim levels on the P80s!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Wednesday 6th May 2015)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    All I'll say is good luck.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:

Doingitsideways (Wednesday 6th May 2015),jamesy12345 (Wednesday 6th May 2015)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicDavey View Post
    Well I'd hope they were well specced, these R AWD Autos were around £38K new plus any options (like the wood set and CD changer)! That's about double what a basic 2.0 Torslanda was! And, don't forget, a T5 isn't a trim, just an engine so you could get them with a variety of specs.

Basically, Volvo went mad with option packs and trim levels on the P80s!
    So I got a 40 grand car for 1% of its original value. First class bargain!

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    So I got a 40 grand car for 1% of its original value. First class bargain!
    Time will tell whether it's a bargain or not, most people would weigh up the cost of getting it up to a reasonable standard against what it's worth in parts. All I can see is yet another money pit.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Time will tell whether it's a bargain or not, most people would weigh up the cost of getting it up to a reasonable standard against what it's worth in parts. All I can see is yet another money pit.
    Exactly the reason I broke mine. Either fit second hand parts that weren't the best design when new or buy new.
    £1600 for a prop & £1800 for a diff just didnt appeal to me on a car that was worth peanuts.
    Every job is difficult on an awd, the awd is heavier & therefore slower.
    In hindsight I wouldnt buy anothr awd unless it was to break. lol
    As it was I made a tidy profit & got my current ride with a wad in my back pocket.
    I think we will struggle to get James to see the point in what we are saying & thats why I wished him good luck.
    He's talking about modifying it with maps etc but I think he will chase his tail getting it to oe spec.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:

claymore (Wednesday 6th May 2015),Doingitsideways (Wednesday 6th May 2015),LeeT5 (Wednesday 6th May 2015)

New Identity
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    Exactly the reason I broke mine. Either fit second hand parts that weren't the best design when new or buy new.
    £1600 for a prop & £1800 for a diff just didnt appeal to me on a car that was worth peanuts.
    As it was I made a tidy profit & got my current ride with a wad in my back pocket.
    I think we will struggle to get James to see the point in what we are saying & thats why I wished him good luck.
    He's talking about modifying it with maps etc but I think he will chase his tail getting it to oe spec.
    But if you go with that way of thinking, what is the point in buying any car/project that will 'lose' its value?

I know I bought my AWD because I wanted one, it has cost me a fair bit of money replacing parts and is currently off the road waiting for its new engine, but that doesn't bother me. It's my hobby, I like to mess with it.

The same can be said for other projects on here, ok they have different goals but it doesn't matter whether your goal is to make huge amounts of power or whether it is to get to a show condition car it probably isn't worth it either way. As someone once said '....it's the taking part that counts' and if you're willing to put the time and effort in then that must count for something?

And everyone slates the AWDs but after driving the T5 I know which one I'd rather drive.

But then I could be just a crack pot.....
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

hillsidesteve (Sunday 3rd July 2016),JamesT5 (Wednesday 6th May 2015)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
    But if you go with that way of thinking, what is the point in buying any car/project that will 'lose' its value?

I know I bought my AWD because I wanted one, it has cost me a fair bit of money replacing parts and is currently off the road waiting for its new engine, but that doesn't bother me. It's my hobby, I like to mess with it.

The same can be said for other projects on here, ok they have different goals but it doesn't matter whether your goal is to make huge amounts of power or whether it is to get to a show condition car it probably isn't worth it either way. As someone once said '....it's the taking part that counts' and if you're willing to put the time and effort in then that must count for something?

And everyone slates the AWDs but after driving the T5 I know which one I'd rather drive.

I think its different circumstances though Dave, you are obviously pretty competent with the spanners building your engine & the other things I've seen you build (boost guage), plus your awd system works!
    In all fairness I'd say my awd was comfier & did handle very well for the extra weight & ride height. It did me proud for over 12 months & 8000 miles but the age of the car was showing with the fuel/brake lines as above. I replaced my rms, clutch & flywheel, down pipe & cat on seperate occasions & to be honest I never want to see another angle gear, bevel or dodgy downpipe ever again!
    I think James will struggle like I did to maintain it properly. I will never claim to know it all & my awd taught me a lot about our glorious Volvo's but a £400 auto awd R is never going to cut it really. At least mine had manual box & an 18t.
    James is right, the spec on th p80 cars is awesome for the age but I do think he should've gone for a fwd model, he's not mentioned if the awd is working & i'll be very suprised if the prop is even fitted which again is a nightmare to source given the 3 enginering changes that happened in 1998 (being pre me7 I guess its a 98).
    I admit The biggest problem with my awd was me, I modified it & failed to replace the bcs/tcv which ultimately resulted in a bent rod. After the amount of hours & money I spent was it really worth it when I ended up with a much better spec, easier to maintain & quicker T5? Even before number 5 decided to lunch itself I estimated the bill to be around £5k to get the car to original spec.
    No brainer in my eyes.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:

kmb (Wednesday 6th May 2015),LeeT5 (Monday 11th May 2015)

New Identity
    Thanks
    I think its different circumstances though Dave, you are obviously pretty competent with the spanners building your engine & the other things I've seen you build (boost guage), plus your awd system works!
    Only just LOL

In all fairness I'd say my awd was comfier & did handle very well for the extra weight & ride height. It did me proud for over 12 months & 8000 miles but the age of the car was showing with the fuel/brake lines as above. I replaced my rms, clutch & flywheel, down pipe & cat on seperate occasions & to be honest I never want to see another angle gear, bevel or dodgy downpipe ever again!
    I think James will struggle like I did to maintain it properly. I will never claim to know it all & my awd taught me a lot about our glorious Volvo's but a £400 auto awd R is never going to cut it really. At least mine had manual box & an 18t.
    James is right, the spec on th p80 cars is awesome for the age but I do think he should've gone for a fwd model, he's not mentioned if the awd is working & i'll be very suprised if the prop is even fitted which again is a nightmare to source given the 3 enginering changes that happened in 1998 (being pre me7 I guess its a 98).
    I admit The biggest problem with my awd was me, I modified it & failed to replace the bcs/tcv which ultimately resulted in a bent rod. After the amount of hours & money I spent was it really worth it when I ended up with a much better spec, easier to maintain & quicker T5? Even before number 5 decided to lunch itself I estimated the bill to be around £5k to get the car to original spec.
    No brainer in my eyes.
    Yep, that angle gear gets in the way of everything. And I'm the same, I am the problem with the bigger failures on the car.

Yeah we need more info. Come on James, do a video of you doing some donuts in a field....

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

Biff (Wednesday 6th May 2015)

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    No brainer in my eyes.
    I didn't go out looking for an R intentionally, this one came up on a private sale and wasn't advertised, I was given first refusal on it and actually 'invited' to buy it.

The AWD system works, the Propshaft is fitted and all that needs doing is the Torque Tube bushing needs replacing (Bushing is on it's way in the post).

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    The guy at the MOT test centre said the car was pretty solid and didn't need a lot at all. His words to me during the test were, "I'm looking for signs of play in the suspension but I just can't find any"... and, "You've got a bargain here!".

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    Exactly what I was saying, it's what you have yo put in to it not the price it's bought for.

It's taken a year on and off to go through the sonic number plate to number plate and sort stupid issues and get it right again, even though it has a full main dealer history.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post

Basically you've hit the nail on the head in many ways. I'd rather have something to work on than buy something 'straight' or 'ready made' as it takes the fun out of owning the car but also it makes me go through the whole car and I know what's what, I learn a bit about what I'm driving and it's something to do otherwise I'd get bored.

Whiny Old Git
    Thanks
    but why not just concentrate your money and efforts on the T5?, or is that going to just get left to rot now?
    PIC][/SIGPIC]

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    but why not just concentrate your money and efforts on the T5?, or is that going to just get left to rot now?
    Because I had the opportunity to buy this car and I did.

Whiny Old Git
    Thanks
    Because I had the opportunity to buy this car and I did.
    that doesn't answer the question you quoted at all, I didn't ask why you bought the VR, I asked what you were going to do with the T5?
    PIC][/SIGPIC]

Owner of a SupeRioR
    Thanks
    I think I remember saying that the S60 was inferior to the V70....ok, I won't start that one again.

What I'm saying is that I'm surprised how much detail Volvo put in to the R spec models, there seems to be a lot of 'little extras' that add up to make them stand out from the rest of the cars in the range, even the T5!
    S60 R vs V70 R
    List below what makes the S60 inferior then!!!
    Doing my bit for the environment by driving a 'Green' car!

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey R View Post
    S60 R vs V70 R
    List below what makes the S60 inferior then!!!
    It's green

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nealevo For This Useful Post:

Bones (Wednesday 6th May 2015),Dangerous Dave (Wednesday 6th May 2015),Doingitsideways (Wednesday 6th May 2015),S70T5Chris (Wednesday 6th May 2015)

Owner of a SupeRioR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealevo View Post
    It's green
    Tit!
    Doing my bit for the environment by driving a 'Green' car!

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sharkey R For This Useful Post:

Bones (Wednesday 6th May 2015),Doingitsideways (Wednesday 6th May 2015),Nealevo (Wednesday 6th May 2015)

Thread Information