Join Today
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    I can't do it fella - its too good a car. I'm not into it for much money, it's sitting in a safe place & I'm happy to wait for either someone who wants a project to come along & take it off my hands for sensible money [as we all know they're getting pretty thin on the ground] or i'll get around to doing some work to it next year & getting it to a place where I can move it on for decent money to pump back into my R. I don't mind breaking the CAT C/D's but I'm going to try & keep as many 850 T5/R's on the road as I can - don't ask my why, its not logical, just love to see these cars blasting around & would be a shame to see another one go to the knackers yard for the sake of a few quid.

time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
    Sweet another grey saloon, will be good to see this back to its former glory
    I've always admired yours from afar fella, as after the red estate R's the grey saloon is my favourite. Just happy to get a chance to put this one back together as it wasn't as far gone as the pictures might have shown. Underneath looks solid & with new brakes & a few bushes plus a service this old beast should be good to go again! Really looking forward to getting the mop out & cutting back through those 6years of grime & seeing if I can get the paintwork back, I do love a challenge!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Thursday 16th October 2014)

Yes I will be behind you but
    thats for the benefit of your
    health.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post
    I can't do it fella - its too good a car. I'm not into it for much money, it's sitting in a safe place & I'm happy to wait for either someone who wants a project to come along & take it off my hands for sensible money [as we all know they're getting pretty thin on the ground] or i'll get around to doing some work to it next year & getting it to a place where I can move it on for decent money to pump back into my R. I don't mind breaking the CAT C/D's but I'm going to try & keep as many 850 T5/R's on the road as I can - don't ask my why, its not logical, just love to see these cars blasting around & would be a shame to see another one go to the knackers yard for the sake of a few quid.
    Good for you mate, good to see someone who really appreciates them and doesn't just take the easy way out.
    854 T5 - The new project.

850 tdi - sorely missed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to martin_r_smith For This Useful Post:

kyboy (Saturday 18th October 2014)

time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    I should also add that I'm not doing it for Kudos - far from it - I'm genuinely a bit obsessed - ask my missus who thinks I'm stark raving mad with my 850 's, not to mention Tony @ IVS who I'm sure inwardly groans every time another flatbed pulls up with one of my ebay purchases onboard, about to take up yet more valuable customer parking at his busy garage

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:

AndysR (Thursday 16th October 2014),martin_r_smith (Thursday 16th October 2014)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Good on you mate, but I think your mad having so many. Lol
    Did your dad get a v70 in the end? You might be able to keep one in the family. Lol
    Your lucky having somewhere to keep them. That laser looks nice too!
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post
    I should also add that I'm not doing it for Kudos - far from it - I'm genuinely a bit obsessed - ask my missus who thinks I'm stark raving mad with my 850 's, not to mention Tony @ IVS who I'm sure inwardly groans every time another flatbed pulls up with one of my ebay purchases onboard, about to take up yet more valuable customer parking at his busy garage
    How many do you have exactly?

time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Two 855 R's in red, one grey 854 R, a silver S70R that I'm breaking (cat d) and the V70 t5 estate that I bought a a a run around for the old man. So 5 in total. Soon to be 4 once I've got the last bits off the s70 & it goes to the scrappy. So not too bad - but eBay is leathal after a few cheeky shandies & a PayPal account linked to the business credit card - must learn to resist!

time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    Good on you mate, but I think your mad having so many. Lol
    Did your dad get a v70 in the end? You might be able to keep one in the family. Lol
    Your lucky having somewhere to keep them. That laser looks nice too!
    He did & loves it. The laser is a nice car, been tweaked a bit too, but sadly it's a slush box so looses points on that front. We'll looked after though - was in having all the induction & cooling hoses changed for new oe ones.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:

Biff (Friday 17th October 2014)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    ill have to keep an eye on this..see if it comes up for sale.....

Wierdly beardly

Thanks
    BIG slap on the back mate, well done for saving it and not breaking it. Looks like its going to clean up beautifully.

I wish I had access to a workshop like that. But on the other hand, I'd also end up with half a dozen Volvos, so the missus wouldn't be quite so pleased as me!
    Currently - '96 850R auto

Previously - '97 S70 T5 manual, '98 V70R AWD auto, '98 V70R Auto in Nautic Blue Mica with LPG (went to Germany!), 1996 850R Auto, lots of various 940s, 960s and a crappy 850 2.0

time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Well, its been a while - bringing the old beast back has had to play second fiddle to the day to day humdrum of family life & work for the past few months - but fear not progress has been made:

Name:  IMAG0268.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  116.8 KB
    Engine bay is coming along nicely. Still a bit to do but quite pleased how the crud has come away without too much hassle

Name:  IMAG2045.jpg
Size:  96.7 KBName:  IMAG2046.jpg
Size:  108.6 KB
    Had a nice wash this week, first in about 6 years by my reckoning. Going to take another couple & a good cut, polish & wax before it really gleams. The bonnet, windscreen & headlamp have all been replaced over the winter as time allowed. The interior is much as the earlier photos - albeit a bit cleaner again - and smells a lot better, much less damp!

Name:  IMAG2047.jpg
Size:  63.0 KB
    A very important moment in this cars resurrection - it passed the MOT first time!!! All I had done was change the oil. The breaks were on the list for getting changed out anyhow so no drama there. I was worried it might flag up more tbh after sitting for so long but Ii think the previous good maintenance prior to it getting laid up have served it well.

I've been out for a couple of test drives [only short ones sadly] & it pulls well, no smoke, smooth through the gears, no nasty clunking. I need a longer run to give the ECU a chance to relearn as it can hang a bit under hard acceleration but apart from that happy days.

Got an order going into RUFE this week for some new bits & bobs, will keep you fellas posted.

All the best, Morgan

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:

RollingThunder (Tuesday 10th February 2015),Wobbly Dave (Monday 9th February 2015)

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    I need to de crud my engine bay, any tips?

time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    I honestly just used a small brass wire brush on the metal as it doesn't scratch but will lift off the oxidation. A tooth brush, damp rag & some soapy water everywhere else & the air hose off the compressor to dry everything after. Gave the plastics & the metal a light wipe over with oil to stop them whiting up. I'm no expert & there are loads of weird & wonderful products - I just didn't have any to hand so had to go old school! It's a bit laborious but worth the effort. Oh & latex gloves - it's a proper mucky job & they're a lifesaver unless you have a lifetimes supply of Swarfega

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    I'll try some degreaser and wash it off for starters and a toothbrush then

time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Just go easy with the degreaser - I had a nightmare on my red 850R - used too much, made the block go white & stripped the wax off the wings where I splashed it in my haste - awful stuff if it goes wrong! I laugh now, but not at the time.

The Volvo with a 'twist'!
    Thanks
    Nice update and congrats on the test but I think you've uploaded the wrong engine bay pic

22. The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

WOODY T5 (Monday 9th February 2015)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Just read this thread, 6 years without starting and fires straight up - That's impressive

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicDavey View Post
    Nice update and congrats on the test but I think you've uploaded the wrong engine bay pic
    Or spark plug cover from a 10v & missing turbo

BIG STUPID GRIN
    Thanks
    new air box and back to standard top mount bush

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Fortunately I was looking in the parts shed and found, perfect air box, ECU cover, spark plug cover, throttle cover, fuse box cover, and complete pest of boost pipes.

So that's made life a bit easier.

I have a few spares here.

Thread Information