Join Today
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    The Volvo with a 'twist'!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    thb I know what you mean and I check in daily to see if the forum world is starting an up cycle, but alas it seems the same everywhere, it's just people inventing more and more fb volvo pages, hate to think how many I've been invited to and really other than a bit of banter there's nothing much going on. Bring on the 1/4 season and Colin's monster running on both engines and getting this forum buzzing again.......please......or bring back the forum idot jamest5....guaranteed post count there
    That isn't quite what I meant Moley, more that I stopped coming on as I felt meh rather than thinking the forum was meh. I guess it might have something to do with it too.
    Just I've lost a lot of enthusiasm for the Volvo lately so had nothing Volvo to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    It's still in my parents' garden mate!!
    Poor little thing, not using it then?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Saturday 23rd January 2016)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicDavey View Post
    ..Just I've lost a lot of enthusiasm for the Volvo lately so had nothing Volvo to talk about.
    You don't need to talk Volvo to be on here, although it helps

Poor little thing, not using it then?
    Haven't had the time Davey, too many other broken cars going on, not to mention being busy working most of the time.

I kept any bits that might be worth something - including that boot protector, ECU & a decent set of rear lights - and parked it up meaning to sell it or give it away, hasn't happened yet. The winter killed my enthusiasm also...I need a weatherproof car, must be getting old

Overall VPCUK car of the year
    Thanks
    Just I've lost a lot of enthusiasm for the Volvo lately...
    can i get a price on the wheels, exhaust and them lovely seats please??

5. The Following User Says Thank You to craigoodwood For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Friday 22nd January 2016)

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Wow Steve, another Volvo? How many is that now!?
    Too many.

Erm... With the 460 I've just taken on for a T4 project that makes 7 Volvos and the Capri.

My 480 moved on just before Christmas. If you'd been around you could have had it for nowt.
    David (DCW) on VOC has it now.

Thanks
    Haven't had the time Davey, too many other broken cars going on, not to mention being busy working most of the time.

I kept any bits that might be worth something - including that boot protector, ECU & a decent set of rear lights - and parked it up meaning to sell it or give it away, hasn't happened yet. The winter killed my enthusiasm also...I need a weatherproof car, must be getting old
    I was really surprised to see it on there. I was idly looking for 480s on eBay then spot a nice Turbo but my little heart sank when I spotted it was an auto then I began to think 'wait a minute...'

I've still got some 480 specials too. My cupholder armrest and a Momo Daytona wheel I picked up cheap the other year

Quote Originally Posted by craigoodwood View Post
    can i get a price on the wheels, exhaust and them lovely seats please??
    Errrrrrm...

Quote Originally Posted by Doingitsideways View Post
    Too many.

Erm... With the 460 I've just taken on for a T4 project that makes 7 Volvos and the Capri.

My 480 moved on just before Christmas. If you'd been around you could have had it for nowt.
    David (DCW) on VOC has it now.
    Oh crikey Steve, there are pills to cure the problems you have mate, another 460?

To be fair David will have given your little Nipper a good home, I'm surprised to hear he's taken on another though, I thought he wasn't allowed to get another after he sold his last.

I probably shouldn't share this but about 2 months ago at the local auctions there was a 96 440 2.0 GLT in bright Red with all the options, about 20k on the clocks, one owner from new, FSH and immaculate. £650-700 I think. Why didn't I buy it again???

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Saturday 23rd January 2016)

One Clean Volvo
    Thanks
    Dave you're a tit you should have bought that 440 even just as a garden ornament, I doubt it would even have had much rot with that mileage
    Sooty...

1997 V70 2.5 10v SE

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Yeah, that's three 460s now.
    Still got Ray-le-Otter, also another I bought about 6 months ago, but now gonna break for it's goodies as it's a late top spec CD with leather, A/C etc, along with compulsory rust.

Yup, should have bought it, Fella.
    My latest one has all of 43k on it. Poverty spec though, so will get all the goodies from the breaker, plus T4 goodness

Thanks
    Yep, probably should have bought that one, oh well! On the surface is was completely rot free.

I'm not a big fan of 440s/460s really but that one was exceptional.

Well this week has been another Mini cursed week...
    Tuesday I bought a car to replace the Mini as it has to go, 2 months is way too long. More on that later.

Why have I had this hateful Mini so long I hear you ask?
    Well, when I bought the car it was wet and dark so I didn't see the terrible lacquer peel on the roof, when dry it was very obvious. I think at some point it's had a poor roof respray, very poor.

IMG_3379 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

I couldn't get rid of the car I felt until I had relacquered the roof, what fun that has been.
    Of course, that meant waiting for a good day after I did all the prep, just pick off the loose lacquer and rub down the edge of the area, easy right? Wrong!
    The more I worked, the more it peeled, it just kept coming off in huge sheets, urgh. Eventually I found hard ground but the area had grown 3 times in size since I started!

Look at the size of this single piece, I broke it by handling it.
    IMG_3383 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

I needed to paint a couple of areas (a spare can of Rover Solar Red I had was a perfect match) then lacquer obviously. Fine job done, just needed to colour sand and polish it up.
    Wet sanded, washed, clayed and then polish. Oh dear. Even on the slowest setting it somehow managed to loosen lacquer in another location, not the bits that I did, they were fine.

So basically, all that time has been wasted, I've been driving a Mini about looking like a right vagina for 2 months and all for nothing most likely.
    It's been going wrong like nothing else. Clutch going, possible head gasket failure due to loss of coolant and mayo cap, fault code for inlet cam timing - runs like rubbish on a cold start for a few seconds. Urgh.

Because of all this I opted to send it back to the very auction I bought it from this week. It was given a terrible position, almost at the very end, despite that the bidding did really well and made it close to my reserve. I said they could have it for £50 more, they let the bidder know, bidder makes a counter offer of £25 more (I know right!), auction rings me again and I accept the offer, they go to find the bidder to let them know and they can't find them, they'd gone!!
    Yes, time wasters even at the auction house, my luck is unbelievable!

They were very apologetic about it all and won't charge me for next week and they said they'd give the car a good spot so maybe this will actually work out in the end.

What I've learned from my 2 months is that these R56 Mini's are utter ££££e! On a smooth fast road, like a motorway etc, the electric power steering was horrible, the car just felt awkward on the road, the steering was just too light needing adjustments all the time, hopefully this week the car will sell and the winner won't run off...

07 Mini Cooper 1 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

As of Wednesday I started driving the car I bought the day previous, this time a car I like.

Nearly bought many a proper car lately, a very nice Volvo C70 T5 Coupé with wheels on it worth the asking price of the entire car, a BMW Alpina B10 but instead I bought a tin can.

A 2002 Renault Clio Renaultsport 172, a fun little bugger.

Clio 172 1 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Clio 172 2 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

This means I have I now have 5 bloody cars but hopefully not for long.

Yep, that's it, a full post in my Volvo's thread with no mention of a Volvo. Oops.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Monday 22nd February 2016)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    ...I've been driving a Mini about looking like a right vagina for 2 months...
    I don't think there is any other way to drive a mini, mate, so I wouldn't be so hard on yourself there

Liking the Clio that's a much better idea. Timing belt/dephaser pulley done?

Most of my posts don't involve Volvos either but we do try!! For example - I notice Poppy the 480 is now with a new owner in Leeds

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Great choice with the Clio, Dave.
    (Don't very often hear me saying things like that about French cars)

Not to worry, you won't be a fanny for much longer hopefully

My 480 based news is that Nipper is now being broken by it's new owner (who I GAVE the car to as he promised to restore it, no matter what)
    Pissed off is an understatement.
    Oh well.
    Last edited by Doingitsideways; Sunday 21st February 2016 at 23:42.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Doingitsideways For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Monday 22nd February 2016)

Thanks
    I don't think there is any other way to drive a mini, mate, so I wouldn't be so hard on yourself there

Liking the Clio that's a much better idea. Timing belt/dephaser pulley done?

Most of my posts don't involve Volvos either but we do try!! For example - I notice Poppy the 480 is now with a new owner in Leeds
    When driving that Mini I just felt like I wanted to crash into stuff, it was quite bad, hopefully it sells and I never have to drive it again, sigh.

Sadly there is no history of a belt change from the little look through the paperwork I've had, on a £600 car though it doesn't matter a whole deal.
    The front seats are shagged but I'm happy with it, just needs a couple of small things but it seems like a good little buy so far

Ah cool, he sold it eventually then. Another enthusiast I take it bought the car then?

My 480 based news is that Nipper in now being broken by it's new owner (who I GAVE the car to as he promised to restore it, no matter what)
    Oh well.
    Yep, cheers. Dead happy with it. Over 6 months MOT, plus I've think just discovered that the cheap tacky induction kit on it is anything but cheap, a Pipercross Viper jobbie.

I no longer look like a poofter or a girl but chav/££££/££££ instead and I think that is better?

Wow, not cool for old Nipper, not cool at all.
    I thought it would have been safe in those new hands, shocked.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks

My 480 based news is that Nipper is now being broken by it's new owner (who I GAVE the car to as he promised to restore it, no matter what)
    Oh well.
    oo a bit of love for French cars there mate are you feeling OK??

if the guy is breaking it he should have given you money for the car, you could have done that

Ah cool, he sold it eventually then. Another enthusiast I take it bought the car then?
    this guy here fella http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/foru...p?f=23&t=34928

Thanks
    Thanks for that Jamesy, he sent me an essay, urgh sorry I mean a PM and he sounds like the perfect owner for the car, marvellous.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

Overall VPCUK car of the year
    Thanks
    I've been driving a Mini about looking like a right vagina for 2 months
    i think i'd drive a mini for 2 months for the right vagina

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to craigoodwood For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Monday 22nd February 2016),Doingitsideways (Monday 22nd February 2016),jamesy12345 (Monday 22nd February 2016)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by craigoodwood View Post
    i think i'd drive a mini for 2 months for the right vagina
    I think he meant...

...I've been driving a Mini about looking for the right vagina for 2 months...

23. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Monday 22nd February 2016)

Thanks
    Either way it didn't bloody work!

I should have ran off when I won it I think!

At least I have the Clio now. Owning a MK2 Clio comes with the constant feeling of expecting the thing to blow up or disintegrate at any moment without warning.

The driver's window nearly fell out the other day when I put it up, it loosened itself out of it's channel and nearly ended up on the asphalt!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Either way it didn't bloody work!

I should have ran off when I won it I think!

At least I have the Clio now. Owning a MK2 Clio comes with the constant feeling of expecting the thing to blow up or disintegrate at any moment without warning.

The driver's window nearly fell out the other day when I put it up, it loosened itself out of it's channel and nearly ended up on the asphalt!
    Welcome to l'club, mon friend

I've spent many a happy hour retrieving my sister's Clio from different places it's broken down at

27. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

AcidicDavey (Monday 22nd February 2016)

Thanks
    Got a 270 mile drive tomorrow, ut oh.

Look out for a cloud of smoke in between Hereford and London folks!

Thanks
    So, nice day, time to cut the hedge. Time to move the Volvo then, not touched it since I sorned it 20th December.

It started immediately but my goodness, what a huge cloud on blue smoke, I was choking!

You may have read in the past that I was getting concerned about oil use and not really had an idea where it was going, I thought possibly turbo seals as there is signs of a misting of oil in the pipework.
    Now though I'm thinking possibly valve stem oil seals too? *sigh.

It has always been a little bit smoky the whole time I've had the car, not really thought anything of it but either way this is not looking too good now.
    I simply can't afford to sort it so this car will almost certainly sit for years now, have to do some more diagnosis.

I realised I hadn't taken a photo of the car in nearly 6 months so here's one to prove it's still in one piece

V70 13-03-16 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

The awful Mini is slowly showing itself off as being unsaleable. As I said in my last big post it sold at the first week I put it in the local car auction for £1875 but the winning bidder ran off! They put it in the next week with a good position but they didn't get a single bid with a £1200 start! Auctions eh? It just happened to be a flat moment in the hall at the time. Angry Dave took the car home again.

It is on the old eBay now, doing awful of course. There is an issue preventing the main photo from loading in the list view which is possibly stopping people from clicking on the ad? Either way it's doing fairly pants, here's the link to it...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2523077335...84.m1555.l2649

Some better news though is that the Clio is going along nicely, really enjoying it

There are a couple of knocks from the suspension over bad bumps, thinking top mounts but other than that the 1200 or so miles I've done in it have been spot on!

It really is a bad case when I can say the healthiest of my cars is a 14 year old Renault with 140k on the clocks!

I've not really done anything with it other than sort the wheels. They were quite badly curbed so I got some 80grit sandpaper to the rest of the lip so it looks intentional - pikey wheel refurbs

Clio 172 13-03-16 015 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Clio 172 13-03-16 016 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Clio 172 13-03-16 019 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Clio 172 13-03-16 024 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Clio 172 13-03-16 027 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Clio 172 13-03-16 029 by AcidicDavey, on Flickr

Done!

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    The awful Mini is slowly showing itself off as being unsaleable. As I said in my last big post it sold at the first week I put it in the local car auction for £1875 but the winning bidder ran off! They put it in the next week with a good position but they didn't get a single bid with a £1200 start! Auctions eh? It just happened to be a flat moment in the hall at the time. Angry Dave took the car home again.

It is on the old eBay now, doing awful of course. There is an issue preventing the main photo from loading in the list view which is possibly stopping people from clicking on the ad? Either way it's doing fairly pants, here's the link to it...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2523077335...84.m1555.l2649
    18 bids now fella, surely must be a buyer among them!!

Shame to hear about the stem seals..is that not something you can do yourself taking it slowly?

Thread Information