Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D5 vs T5

has no status...
    Thanks

D5 vs T5

Hi All,

I bought a black sapphire 55 plate S60 D5 manual last Friday and after almost a week of driving it i'm nothing but impressed. We have still got an Auto 51 plate V70 T5 and i never thought i would say it but i enjoy driving the D5 as much as the T5, I know whilst everyone wont agree what has impressed me most is its power output.

I've never been a diesel fan until now and have always said that im not ready for it, but having recently started a new job they insisted i had to have a newer car so took a test drive in this one. My model has 185bhp which whilst impressive for a diesel is not nearly as impressive as the torque at 400nm.

One of the benefits i had hoped for is the fuel consumption, when i collected it i reset the trip computer and it currently shows as per the photo Filled it up on the way home tonight and it the trip computer suggests 650 miles until empty..even if it does 450 i will be happy thats 150 more than i wouldve got from the T5

Highly recommended

2001 V70 T5 - Auto, Dark Anthracite Comets, Volvo Window blinds, ITG Panel filter, Strut bar solid bushes with powerflex top mount

Must update my sigpic ...the S60 lemon went a while ago.

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    no one believes me! lol

550 miles should easily be in your grasp- thinking of re-mapping it? The economy will improve

Just curious as to why your work would say you need a newer car?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    39.6 pah! You're not even trying!

3100 miles this summer across France (mostly with a blown intercooler) at an average speed of 58mph and an average mpg of 42.1.

V70 D5s ROCK! So there!

luv'n'stuff

J

has no status...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbrick View Post
    no one believes me! lol

550 miles should easily be in your grasp- thinking of re-mapping it? The economy will improve

Just curious as to why your work would say you need a newer car?
    Hi RB. Haven't really considered remapping yet, how much improvement do you think I could expect?

The company pay a car allowance & in exchange the car you buy has to be no more than 6 yrs old, probably a little to do with their appearance & a bit to do with reliability the rest is just a rule for the sake of having a rule

2001 V70 T5 - Auto, Dark Anthracite Comets, Volvo Window blinds, ITG Panel filter, Strut bar solid bushes with powerflex top mount

has no status...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by v70torslanda View Post
    39.6 pah! You're not even trying!

3100 miles this summer across France (mostly with a blown intercooler) at an average speed of 58mph and an average mpg of 42.1.

V70 D5s ROCK! So there!

luv'n'stuff

J
    haha excellent. its been improving slowly all week.. I do a 20 mile trip to work so hasn't had a proper long run yet.

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by richiemat View Post
    Hi RB. Haven't really considered remapping yet, how much improvement do you think I could expect?
    Don't know on the later engines, 163 to 200+ was a massive difference especially in torque. If your happy with it then leave well alone until you get bored.

The company pay a car allowance & in exchange the car you buy has to be no more than 6 yrs old, probably a little to do with their appearance & a bit to do with reliability the rest is just a rule for the sake of having a rule
    Yes I get that as well but no stupid age rule, ran around in an N reg 106 diesel before coming to my senses and buying the D5. Could even buy a bike if I wanted!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Mine S60 D5 does as my signature shows, BUT I drive mostly in city. I did 2000 miles across europe few months ago and with average speed of 60 mph (german motorways) and to pspeed of 100 mph I got 41.5 MPG. But these are real figures, not trip computer. That was showing around 48 MPG. Overall I'm happy with 570 miles on one tank in the city.
    Greg

This user has no status
    Thanks

...........but having recently started a new job they insisted i had to have a newer car .............

they insisted?!?!? are they paying for it? or is it coming out of your wage?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    He's probably getting a 'cash alternative' to having a company car - so in essence they're paying for it (or the lion's share of it...).
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm
    2001 V70 T5 SE (RICA 310)
    1997 9000 Aero (Abbotted)

Visit my Rant

This user has no status
    Thanks

Smile

me too.

Have both . both mapped.

D5 is still the "berries" when it comes to 600 mile a tank easy
    Jaseb77

S80 D5 SE (now enjoying it more)
    C70 T5 GT (weekend toy)
    S60 D5 SE (gone and i miss it)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I am seeing some very nice looking 3-4 yo D5 SE's coming through the auctions at the moment ex lease types with 60-90k on the clocks mostly 163's but some 185's too.

£5k will get you a tidy leggy one, £6-7k gets you a mint 60k 185. I dont think thats alot of wedge for what you get, although they arent as cheap to tax as they might be

tim..

has no status...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by y2blade View Post
    they insisted?!?!? are they paying for it? or is it coming out of your wage?
    Cornclose is correct, they pay an additional car allowance which is really just extra cash but you have to buy and run something within their guidelines. So they will buy most of it for me over the next few years. I looked closely at their car scheme but couldnt get interested in the cars they were offering, the likes of Peugeot 407s'.....yuk.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletchv70RAWD View Post
    The best I have got out of mine is 30.5 mpg with an average of 58mph on a trip to Duxford for a meet last summer. Not bad for an `R`.
    Thats pretty respectable, our V70 shows an average at the moment of 26 and thats running wifey and littlen around during the week. It won't get a long outing too often now except occasional weekends and of course camping holidays when we fill it to the gunnells.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaseb77 View Post
    me too.

Have both . both mapped.

D5 is still the "berries" when it comes to 600 mile a tank easy
    I'll look forward to seeing how many mine does, im still being enthusiastic with it but have found that im having to remember where the power is...ie not above 3500rpm but 1500rpm and above. It clicked over to 40mpg today on the fuel computer thingy

I've been thinking about mapping today after RB's comment last night, floated the idea past Mrs Richie and got the answer 'well if you map yours i want mine mapped too'. Its gonna cost me unless anyone has any special 2 for one map offers on?

This user has no status

Thanks
    the most boring thread on the net... sorry
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2552&dateline=1218822  313
    She may not be perfect but i love her anyway....

has no status...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
    the most boring thread on the net... sorry
    thanks for your input then

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Don't read it then.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbrick View Post
    Don't read it then.
    it said T5 v D5.... i thought we had a race! not some dull thoughts about the D5! we all know they are quick.....but.. whats new on this thread?

mpg to me is rubbish as i use my car for fun! work fill my lorry up with diesel! check out the torque on that
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2552&dateline=1218822  313

has no status...
    Thanks
    Pnut,

Thanks again, could you tell us what the compression ratio is in cylinders 1-5 and how easy it is to change the head gasket on the D5?

Point i'm making is that different people post different threads, this is mine and those are yours

No harm done

This user has no status

Thanks
    Pnut,

Thanks again, could you tell us what the compression ratio is in cylinders 1-5 and how easy it is to change the head gasket on the D5?

Point i'm making is that different people post different threads, this is mine and those are yours

No harm done

nope, i was replying about the compression figures... & the changing of the head! its called trying to help others out

the only recent thread ive started was about a key.... i hardly described it as T5R v V70R to get more views

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    looks like friday nite handbags

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t5 pete For This Useful Post:

kyebosh (Friday 31st October 2008),pangster (Friday 31st October 2008)

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    ... lifes too short can't be arsed...

Thread Information