Join Today
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    Correct me if im wrong but when you tune an engine (or anything else)there is alwaysthe risk of things going wrong that is outwith the installers control?.
    If you want a remap just go for it as there is always a risk,just remember that if Hamish or any of the other tuners were no good they would soon be out of business
    Your missing the point.

Granted, there is a risk of things going wrong when tuning a car. The risk as fairly low however, if the person doing the tuning know's what they are doing.

My engine melted a piston within 3 hrs of me driving away from HLM. Coinsidence? That aside, whether it was down to the workmanship, the map, whatever... What you cannot deny, what anyone who chooses to read what happened correctly cannot deny is the way in which I was treated by Hamish. How would you like it if you spent over 3k with someone tuning your car and then when it went wrong, not 3 months, or 3 weeks, or 3 days but 3 hours later, your were just point blank ignored and told catagorically that you were going to be offered NO assistance. Is that good customer service? Anyone who says YES THAT IS GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE, is simply blinded by the fact that Hamish is selling some dodgy unknown remap for the knock down bargin price of £150.

There's a saying people, Buy cheap, Pay twice.

I've never believed in buying cheap when it come to anything. So in my unfortunate case it should be Buy expensive, still pay twice.
    Last edited by S70T5Chris; Sunday 26th October 2008 at 08:56. Reason: spelling

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigV View Post
    no no no no....... there is no risk at all as long as you get your car tuned by the lastest flavour of the month.............. however if you get the same work done anywhere else you are DOOMED.
    You have no idea what your talking about.

It's people like me tyring to help people like you from making the same mistakes I did, by going to the wrong people. If you can't see past the cheap sh*tty remaps then thats up to you.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post
    You have no idea what your talking about.

It's people like me tyring to help people like you from making the same mistakes I did, by going to the wrong people. If you can't see past the cheap sh*tty remaps then thats up to you.
    I didn't ask for your help, I have my own mind.

An off the shelf remap (BTW do you have any evidence which proves they are 'sh*tty') is slightly different from spending large sums of money trying to squeeze out 1/3rd more power from a 10yr old car......... which I would not be stupid enough do try and do in the first place.

I just can't believe how naive some people are when it comes to spending money on cars!
    854 T5 Auto.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigV For This Useful Post:

pangster (Sunday 26th October 2008)

This user has no status

Thanks
    from a 10yr old car.........
    what exactly does the age of a car have to do with anything?
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2552&dateline=1218822  313
    She may not be perfect but i love her anyway....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
    what exactly does the age of a car have to do with anything?
    I think we can all agree a 10yr old car is going to have seen a lot more use, wear and tear etc than one that is nearly new? Thus making it more risky to play about with?
    854 T5 Auto.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ok so to sum up (and someone correct me if I am wrong) - off the shelf remaps for a straightforward map there is plenty of choice and apart from delivering power slightly differently they are all on a fairly level playing field. There is no more risk with one companies off te shelf map than with another?

If you are looking to spend big bucks on upgrading your car to take a custom map then do some research?

And just to clarify, although I don't take anything away from Chris and the problems he has had because in his position I too would have been mortified, for every customer who has had a negative experience there are probably a lot more who have had a positive one (most of whom are afraid to post up for fear of the "anti-hamish" lynch mob!)

x

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mrsmopp For This Useful Post:

BigV (Sunday 26th October 2008),MIKESC70T5 (Sunday 26th October 2008),pangster (Sunday 26th October 2008),S60-MBS (Sunday 26th October 2008)

This user has no status

Thanks
    I think we can all agree a 10yr old car is going to have seen a lot more use, wear and tear etc than one that is nearly new? Thus making it more risky to play about with?
    seems alittle bit of a generalisation to me, ive seen some high milage explod cars 3-4 years old with double the milage of a 12 year car....

with regards to the money, what exactly is wrong with spending 20 grand on a car that will do everything & maybe more than a 40 grand M3? modding is actually an awfull lot cheaper than buying new! fair enough you will never get the money back, but you wont on a new car either
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2552&dateline=1218822  313

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Once again you have no idea what you are talking about.

This user has no status
    Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmopp View Post
    Ok so to sum up (and someone correct me if I am wrong) - off the shelf remaps for a straightforward map there is plenty of choice and apart from delivering power slightly differently they are all on a fairly level playing field. There is no more risk with one companies off te shelf map than with another?

If you are looking to spend big bucks on upgrading your car to take a custom map then do some research?

And just to clarify, although I don't take anything away from Chris and the problems he has had because in his position I too would have been mortified, for every customer who has had a negative experience there are probably a lot more who have had a positive one (most of whom are afraid to post up for fear of the "anti-hamish" lynch mob!

x

About right.
    Had good work and a nice map done nearly 3 years ago on my car, car never missed a beat goes like stink, yet I must be a total moron for ever letting HLM/VT touch my car.
    How many people have had problems with HLM/VT 3, 4 or 5?
    Paul

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pault5 For This Useful Post:

BigV (Sunday 26th October 2008)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
    Moppy you missing the point

Hamish is selling a knocked off map for 50% less than any registered map(be it off the shelf or custom)claiming its a genuine Rica but yet as Hamish has lost the right to SELL the Rica

Rica has been informed of the situation regarding Hamish's maps and they have stated that HLM is no longer an authorised Rica dealer

So what warranty under the consumers rights(Because we do have rights)does Hamish's maps come under?
    I'm not missing the point at all and isn't it funny how this is the first time in 12 pages that this particular issue has been raised - stinks of moving goalposts again. if thats what the real issue is here then why has it not been mentioned yet?

Its, obviously, not a question I can answer - perhaps you could call or email Hamish and post his response here?

x

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrsmopp For This Useful Post:

BigV (Sunday 26th October 2008),pangster (Sunday 26th October 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    So have I got this right BigV

What you are saying is people with 10year+ old cars shouldn't tuner there cars past a simple remap?
    Well, I suppose that is a fair representation of my opinion yes....... I would never say never because I know other people have done so successfully, but if you are not fully aware and happy to accept that an bad outcome is possible even probable at some point down the line you shouldn't do it......

I don't think most of us are willing to accept that risk, and on some of the T5's I have seen for sale before buying mine even a simple remap would be pushing your luck!

in reply to PNUT: Yes it was a generalisation, but it holds true 99% of the time..... old car, 100k miles, more worn out....... Unless we are a user car dealer, in which case it was owned by a vicar, never driven above 50 and is in showroom condition!
    854 T5 Auto.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Once again you have no idea what you are talking about.
    Yep, if I don't agree with you I must be an idiot right.......

Jeez, a fool and his money........
    854 T5 Auto.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Anyone else feel a "yeah but" mentality going on here?

x

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrsmopp For This Useful Post:

pangster (Sunday 26th October 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmopp View Post

And just to clarify, although I don't take anything away from Chris and the problems he has had because in his position I too would have been mortified, for every customer who has had a negative experience there are probably a lot more who have had a positive one (most of whom are afraid to post up for fear of the "anti-hamish" lynch mob!)

x
    What your saying is pretty accurate Moppy. The off the shelf rempas are all much alike, and all proven to do the job and be safe.

However when someone from a company (that I believe, through my experience, isn't good to deal with) turns up with a VERY CHEAP remap, with dubious origins, I am very sceptical. And it would be my advise to be very wiery of this product. Just my opinion.

Cheap, isn't always best. In fact the cheapest is almost certainly the worst, no matter what your buyin. Like I said Buy cheap, Pay twice.

This user has no status

Thanks
    What your saying is pretty accurate Moppy. The off the shelf rempas are all much alike, and all proven to do the job and be safe.

However when someone from a company (that I believe, through my experience, isn't good to deal with) turns up with a VERY CHEAP remap, with dubious origins, I am very sceptical. And it would be my advise to be very wiery of this product. Just my opinion.

Cheap, isn't always best. In fact the cheapest is almost certainly the worst, no matter what your buyin. Like I said Buy cheap, Pay twice.
    Thanks Chris and from your own, direct, experience I don't think anyone would blame you being wary

x

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yep, if I don't agree with you I must be an idiot right.......

Jeez, a fool and his money........
    Well you got one thing right.

It's not about aggreeing or disagreeing. Its about reading all the facts and making an informed decision. If you want Hamish tinkering with your car, thats your choice. So you are right, a fool and his money....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well you got one thing right.

It's not about aggreeing or disagreeing. Its about reading all the facts and making an informed decision. If you want Hamish tinkering with your car, thats your choice. So you are right, a fool and his money....
    I have read all the facts....... I have made my opinions of tuning cars clear....... what more do you want me to say, apart from I think you were unlucky........
    854 T5 Auto.

This user has no status

Thanks
    in reply to PNUT: Yes it was a generalisation, but it holds true 99% of the time..... old car, 100k miles, more worn out....... Unless we are a user car dealer, in which case it was owned by a vicar, never driven above 50 and is in showroom condition!
    99% ? thats quite a high figure

most t5's aint driven that hard for most of their lives because of the simple fact you cannot do it!

i would prefer to rely on data from individual engines & other items on the vehicle rather than looking at the speedo & making a decision from that.....

24. The Following User Says Thank You to PNuT For This Useful Post:

El Diablo (Sunday 26th October 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have read all the facts....... I have made my opinions of tuning cars clear....... what more do you want me to say, apart from I think you were unlucky........
    that'll do! We'll agree to disagree

This user has no status

Thanks
    Moppy you missing the point

Hamish is selling a knocked off map for 50% less than any registered map(be it off the shelf or custom)claiming its a genuine Rica but yet as Hamish has lost the right to SELL the Rica

Rica has been informed of the situation regarding Hamish's maps and they have stated that HLM is no longer an authorised Rica dealer

So what warranty under the consumers rights(Because we do have rights)does Hamish's maps come under?
    I am NOT selling knocked of maps. These are maps I purchased from Rica Over many years while I WAS their distibutor. They ARE files that were tuned by Rica and by law I can sell them as that! What I am not entitled to do is pass of as an agent for Rica. Which is what Rica have confirmed. You have exactly the same rights under consumer law as you had when we were the distibutors/ agents for Rica. Please be advised that history has proven that Rica will offer no assistance financial or otherwise when their tuning goes bad.
    Please stop making up these stories to suit your arguments.
    Here is the facts I have good title to some tuning files and I can sell them for a any price I choose.
    I have never heard anything so ridiculous somebody trys to sell a product at an affordable price and you then accuse him of unfairly undercutting the competition.........you are special.!!!

Regards,
    Hamish.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hamish For This Useful Post:

Alan M (Sunday 26th October 2008),cameron (Sunday 26th October 2008),pangster (Sunday 26th October 2008),y2blade (Sunday 26th October 2008)

Thread Information