Join Today
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Need Bluetooth in my V70R.

I am struggling without a hands free option in my R. Not sure the best route to go down, I really quite like the sound system it has, old tech but sounds very good. But absolutely hate external receivers like you get with a Parrot system or such like. I have an IPhone6.
    Just noticed on Ebay they do a double DIN facia adaptor. So perhaps I should swap the stereo out for some new kit with built in bluetooth. Thoughts please, how have you guys handled. Not sure if all R's are the same, I have a six disk in dash setup with DolbyII buttons and has the telephone key pad front. I tried to get a clone sim for the car, but Vodaphone laughed at me. What should I do???

V70r 6Speed Auto
    First car to put a smile back on my face for years!

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Imiv is worth looking at do you have sat nav ?.

http://www.volvotech.eu/Audio
    Last edited by Harvey; Sunday 24th January 2016 at 22:08.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Imiv is worth looking at do you have sat nav ?.
    Yes and no. Yes it is there and No it does not work. Not sure the problem. I was told that it never worked when the previous buyer purchased the car six years ago and as it stayed local he never bothered getting it fixed. The screen does not lift, has DVD's in boot. Guess i should get it checked out, I noticed ebay 2nd hand screens are only £50-90 if that's the problem. Maybe better just getting a sat nav Bluetooth set. This looks the ticket http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-SP...oAAOSwgyxWVIcx

V70r 6Speed Auto

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreg View Post
    Yes and no. Yes it is there and No it does not work. Not sure the problem. I was told that it never worked when the previous buyer purchased the car six years ago and as it stayed local he never bothered getting it fixed. The screen does not lift, has DVD's in boot. Guess i should get it checked out, I noticed ebay 2nd hand screens are only £50-90 if that's the problem. Maybe better just getting a sat nav Bluetooth set. This looks the ticket http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-SP...oAAOSwgyxWVIcx
    If you have reverse sensors they won't work if you change the radio.

I think the kit you need to get the wheel controls working isn't cheap.
    Last edited by Harvey; Sunday 24th January 2016 at 22:30.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

BigGreg (Sunday 24th January 2016)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If you have reverse sensors they won't work if you change the radio.

I think the kit you need to get the wheel controls working isn't cheap.
    Don't have reverse sensors. Hence a number of these new double din alternatives have camera input. Might be ideal if I keep it until I am old. This is cheap as chips and has some great reviews http://www.halfords.com/technology/c...6-2-car-stereo

V70r 6Speed Auto

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    I did rember someone did this no idea what it's like ..

http://double-din.com/OEM-Multimedia...rqCyd_s.mailto

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I did rember someone did this no idea what it's like ..

http://double-din.com/OEM-Multimedia...rqCyd_s.mailto
    Does not turn me on. What did you do then Harvey, still go the HU850?????
    Is doing away with the phone for a cup holder easy enough, or will there be error messages galore????

V70r 6Speed Auto

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    If you have phone & on call leave well alone , I still have the Hu 850 with a imiv unit with bluetooth thing that plugs into the 30 pin iphone thing .

Last edited by Harvey; Monday 25th January 2016 at 00:18.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

BigGreg (Monday 25th January 2016)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    This needs more investigation. It would be boring if the car was perfect! Night and thanks Harvey.

V70r 6Speed Auto

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    I agree with Harvey ^^^^^

I too have the IMiv classic that plugs into my RTi unit.

Regards your RTi......if you are able to plug VIDA/DICE into the car, it will tell you if you have a faulty RTi unit.
    If it recognises the unit (it won't be greyed out) then you'll still be able to use the imiv and bluetooth dongle with the car.

I had my RTi unit repaired recently by a company in Suffolk. I can give you their details if you want? You do need to diagnose the car though and clear any fault codes first, then see which ones come back.

The imiv and BT dongle works perfectly with iphone 6. I will post pictures later of my setup for you.
    Have a look in my build thread as I posted pictures of my IMIV and BT dongle install along with my hands free kit charger for the iphone 6.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...s-V70R-Project

Lee.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    It would be going away from OEM stuff but seems like you get some decent double din units for around the 500 quid mark with sat nav built in, or ones for a bit less that would allow you to use Google maps via your phone. Looking at them yesterday I was very tempted with this one for my RX-7...

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pion...apple-car-play

But couldn't justify the cost to myself & went with a second hand Nakamichi CD-400

The phone system seemed to work fine in my S60R? I just put my sim card in the little tray below the key pad..? Maybe it's hassle to get it out of the Iphone or is a different size

Sim adaptor idea...https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Create+...M+Adapter/3183

sorry if useless in your case....I have no idea about modern phones. I stopped at a Nokia E72.

Here someone fitted a Garmin sat nav unit to the Volvo RTI case...
    http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ghlight=garmin

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    I agree with Harvey ^^^^^

I too have the IMiv classic that plugs into my RTi unit.

Regards your RTi......if you are able to plug VIDA/DICE into the car, it will tell you if you have a faulty RTi unit.
    If it recognises the unit (it won't be greyed out) then you'll still be able to use the imiv and bluetooth dongle with the car.

I had my RTi unit repaired recently by a company in Suffolk. I can give you their details if you want? You do need to diagnose the car though and clear any fault codes first, then see which ones come back.

The imiv and BT dongle works perfectly with iphone 6. I will post pictures later of my setup for you.
    Have a look in my build thread as I posted pictures of my IMIV and BT dongle install along with my hands free kit charger for the iphone 6.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...s-V70R-Project

Lee.
    Cheers Lee, my AA pal is doing the handbrake cables this week so will get him to plug in and see if he can detect the RTI. Will check out your thread too. Would prefer to keep OEM sat nav and just add Bluetooth to the existing head unit.

V70r 6Speed Auto

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    It would be going away from OEM stuff but seems like you get some decent double din units for around the 500 quid mark with sat nav built in, or ones for a bit less that would allow you to use Google maps via your phone. Looking at them yesterday I was very tempted with this one for my RX-7...

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pion...apple-car-play

But couldn't justify the cost to myself & went with a second hand Nakamichi CD-400

The phone system seemed to work fine in my S60R? I just put my sim card in the little tray below the key pad..? Maybe it's hassle to get it out of the Iphone or is a different size

Sim adaptor idea...https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Create+...M+Adapter/3183

sorry if useless in your case....I have no idea about modern phones. I stopped at a Nokia E72.

Here someone fitted a Garmin sat nav unit to the Volvo RTI case...
    http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ghlight=garmin
    My tech skills don't come close to all of this. Nice Nakamichi though, when I were a lad I used to drool at the Naka separate systems in John Lewis before being hunted by security.

V70r 6Speed Auto

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BigGreg For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Monday 25th January 2016)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Cheers Lee, my AA pal is doing the handbrake cables this week so will get him to plug in and see if he can detect the RTI. Will check out your thread too. Would prefer to keep OEM sat nav and just add Bluetooth to the existing head unit.
    I wouldn't bother mate, AA Diagnostic will not be able to communicate with the RTi, I know as I have the AA diagnostics myself!!

Here's the RTi module shown in the bottom right corner. As you can see it is directly connected to the REM (Rear electronic Module) or the rear fuse box, via the CAN network. The REM then communicates directly to the CEM. It is possible that you may have a fault with the REM (Not uncommon) But I would start by checking every single fuse in the REM before removing your RTI.

The fault your looking for will be the one I've shown ^^

This is normally caused by a dead board in the RTi unit and easily fixed at:

Central Services
    186-188 Spring road
    Ipswich
    Suffolk
    IP4 5NR.

Contact is Marcel. 01473 725953.
    www.centralservicescaraudio.co.uk

Here's my RTi unit with the IMIV sat on top:

Last edited by LeeT5; Monday 25th January 2016 at 16:38.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Here's some pics of my iPhone 6 connected to my Volvotech BT dongle which is directly connected to my iMIV 'classic', plugged into my RTi. Although it's docked in the Brodit charger, it doesn't need to be!

Proven functionality with no hiss or crackle and total control via headunit, Phone or steering wheel controls.
    The sound is absolutely crystal clear with rich deep bass and no distortion.
    One thing to note is the iPhone 6 can upscale your music to higher bitrate. Mine is set to 256kbps AAC. Normal CD is 128kbps, so the difference is very noticeable, Clarity of music and deep rich bass.

I tried a video...but is failed for some reason. Will try again later.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Monday 25th January 2016)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Here's some pics of my iPhone 6 connected to my Volvotech BT dongle which is directly connected to my iMIV 'classic', plugged into my RTi. Although it's docked in the Brodit charger, it doesn't need to be!

Proven functionality with no hiss or crackle and total control via headunit, Phone or steering wheel controls.
    One thing to note is the iPhone 6 can upscale your music to higher bitrate. Mine is set to 256kbps AAC. Normal CD is 128kbps, so the difference is very noticeable, Clarity of music and deep rich bass.

That looks the bizz.
    Sounds like I need to get VIDA/DICE, how where cost?????

V70r 6Speed Auto

This user has no status
    Thanks

Just noticed you have an extra rotary knob on your headset, what's that for then????

V70r 6Speed Auto

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Just noticed you have an extra rotary knob on your headset, what's that for then????
    Eh? Which one?

Where do you live mate...which part of the world? If you're not too far from me, you can pop round and I'll plug in VIDA/DICE for you.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just looked like this, should be the ticket if I can't get RTI sorted.
    http://gromaudio.co.uk/products/grom...it.html#Videos

V70r 6Speed Auto

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Just looked like this, should be the ticket if I can't get RTI sorted.
    http://gromaudio.co.uk/products/grom...it.html#Videos
    I personally think the iMiV is better mate. I've heard mixed reviews on the GROM kit, namely, they are a PITA to fit because you have to remove the radio for full connectivity AND the quality of the sound is debateable.
    In comparison, the iMiV is a piece of cake to install. Comes with the necessary leads to connect and you only have to remove the rear n/s trim to access the RTi....which is very simple.
    Also, it's in the best place should you wish to install a rear camera, which Harvey has done and I'm going too. It's also compatible with your RTi screen whereas the GROM isn't.
    The GROM is directly connected to the headunit whereas the iMiV is connected to the CAN network of the car....making it seamless!

Have a look at this website, these are the original makers of the iMiV units and they are built specifically for V70R/S60R....

http://imiv.ca/cms/

This is the package you will probably need for your car Greg...

http://www.volvotech.eu/imiv-classic

(iMiV site) http://www.imiv.ca/cms/products/prod...d-rti-package/

You are possibly going to have to remove your RTi unit anyway, so it makes sense to get the iMiv mate.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Monday 25th January 2016 at 21:17.

Thread Information