Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Now we knock at the back!

Now the front end is all honky dory, I've noticed the back end is knocking! When buying the bits for the front I didn't really see many parts for the back, what's likely to cause it? And anything else I should change whilst it's apart? I'm wanting to go for over 300bhp next year so trying to future proof it now.

Volvo Mangler
    Thanks
    Rear trailing arm bushings perhaps? That's what just needed replacing on my C70. I got Febi Bilstein replacements, £56 a pair.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Could be, I read that the rear top mounts are known to fail and can be changed easily in the boot? It's going into the garage soon so will get them to check it out, I don't have the time these days!

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Check the droplinks, they can make a 'pop' or a knock when they are either worn or loose. Check also, the rear ARB bushings.

This user has no status

Thanks
    This thing is costing me a fortune at the minute lol, the whole front end is new, and it could do with a clutch change!

I get a rattly kind of banging from the back too, I noticed it prominently louder when I was up on a curb with the weight on the left wheels?

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    This thing is costing me a fortune at the minute lol, the whole front end is new, and it could do with a clutch change!

I get a rattly kind of banging from the back too, I noticed it prominently louder when I was up on a curb with the weight on the left wheels?
    Drop links as I say. Jack the back end up, support fully on axle stands and then wiggle the ARB and drop links. A cheap fix if my diagnosis is correct.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

Sweep (Thursday 18th December 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Cheers mate I'll give that a go if I get chance at the weekend, would they still make a noise at stand still? I thought it was the exhaust at first as that sits a little low.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Cheers mate I'll give that a go if I get chance at the weekend, would they still make a noise at stand still? I thought it was the exhaust at first as that sits a little low.
    No, droplinks would only make noises on the go. If it's rattling at the back at a stand still the exhaust heatshield could be knocking against the back box.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    You reminded me of something, funnily enough, sorry to deviate slightly for a moment but this made me laugh at the time.... I have a friend who has a Renault Scenic. He PM'd me on Faceache the one night in a right panic saying he's driveshaft had 'fallen out'. So the next morning I go round to where he'd parked it (he managed to get it to a friend's house near by), and I took a look at the problem. He said that the car wouldn't move even when in gear so i got him to start it up and there was a rattle from the front o/s wheel. The outer CV joint had actually disintegrated (I still have it, I must get a picture).

It's the only time I've heard a CV joint making a noise 'at a stand still'. He's lucky though, I managed to change it for him and saved him a fortune in garage labour. Made me laugh when I saw the state of it, I've got to be honest.

Thread Information