Join Today

Hybrid View

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Did you balance the rods, crank and other internals?
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Tuesday 28th April 2015)

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    Project rally eh? I'm a big rally fan & ex codriver/passenger.
    Any plans for uprated awd? Looks like the engine is going to be a good spec.
    Good to see you back mate.
    No plans to do anything with the AWD as yet, will be a daily driver. Can't wait to get back to some better grip.

Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    wow nice build mate and that sump looks way better than the last time I saw it, bet you cleaned a good pile of cr#p out of it, plus I did spot the 'A' series head in blue and a turbo casting as they would say in those sort of circles if I am not mistaken.
    It wasn't too bad to be honest, the broken one I've got has a shed load of crap in it, thank god I didn't have to clean that out
    I can't remember what A series head it is, it's been sat there that long....

Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Did you balance the rods, crank and other internals?
    I'm afraid I didn't get that done, it did cross my mind when you mentioned it at the Two Henry's last year, but I decided against it in the end.

Head came back today from it's skim, £20 and a cracking job. Now setting to work grinding the valves and putting it all back together.

Have had a problem with some of the upper spring washers. Three of them have got what seems like stress fractures

So I'm gonna speak to FRF tomorrow and see if I can get some replacements.
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Saturday 27th October 2018 at 16:38.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Tuesday 28th April 2015)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
    No plans to do anything with the AWD as yet, will be a daily driver. Can't wait to get back to some better grip.

It wasn't too bad to be honest, the broken one I've got has a shed load of crap in it, thank god I didn't have to clean that out
    I can't remember what A series head it is, it's been sat there that long....

I'm afraid I didn't get that done, it did cross my mind when you mentioned it at the Two Henry's last year, but I decided against it in the end.

Head came back today from it's skim, £20 and a cracking job. Now setting to work grinding the valves and putting it all back together.

Have had a problem with some of the upper spring washers. Three of them have got what seems like stress fractures

So I'm gonna speak to FRF tomorrow and see if I can get some replacements.

just re-read the post and noticed it's the spring caps that have fractured so will you replace all of them just in case or just the fractured ones
    Last edited by MoleT-5R; Wednesday 29th April 2015 at 11:05. Reason: re-read post

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    just re-read the post and noticed it's the spring caps that have fractured so will you replace all of them just in case or just the fractured ones
    Well, a couple that are cracked were off my dad's engine from when I replaced the head gasket, I just swapped them for the ones on my engine. It seems the later engine ones are slightly thicker (not by much, one of them is starting to fracture)

I ran them all under the wire wheel to remove the crap and show up any issues.

Anyway, I have some new ones coming from Sweden (via FRF) so should have some in a week or so (bloody bank holidays)
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Thread Information