Join Today

Thread: mbc for 940 lpt

This user has no status

Thanks

mbc for 940 lpt

Hi, appreciate this will have been done to death but my question is in regard to fitting one without setting boost..ie, is there any reason I can't for mbc and manually adjust boost after runs until I hear 'pinking', then wind it back a bit. I don't want a boost gauge in my cabin, don't want huge power would just like a wee bit extra oomph if required. Car is quite special, reputed to be last 940 sold in the country, manual saloon with 37K miles!!

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    The LPT was the same turbo just with a lower set boost.

My bro had the LPT 940 and put an mbc on. Problem is you'll need a boost gauge at least initially to set the boost level. About 12psi is generally considered a safe level, as the 13C turbo that is fitted will run out of flow the higher you go.

You shouldn't need to worry about the engine internals, the later turbo engines had beefier conrods and are quite rugged if you look after them.

Some more info:
    http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=101959
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yup, am aware of the potential for simple power these old lumps have, was specifically asking if I could simply adjust boost after each run without a boost gauge and simply turn mbc back a bit once engine starts pinking. If not, mbc in glove box would be my preference...I suppose for the peace of mind of setting things up properly, I should just get a boost gauge! Thanks for your reply Man, not been on here for an age!!
    Last edited by biggbn; Sunday 12th June 2016 at 04:02.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to biggbn For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Sunday 12th June 2016)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
    Hi, appreciate this will have been done to death but my question is in regard to fitting one without setting boost..ie, is there any reason I can't for mbc and manually adjust boost after runs until I hear 'pinking', then wind it back a bit. I don't want a boost gauge in my cabin, don't want huge power would just like a wee bit extra oomph if required. Car is quite special, reputed to be last 940 sold in the country, manual saloon with 37K miles!!
    Is this car a silver saloon that was for sale a while back nice car if it is .mbc question it will be very rare that you will hit anything over 12psi on a lpt because the actuator is none adjustable and a very weak Spring too so they open early .but always setup with boost gauge

6. The Following User Says Thank You to smithy For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Sunday 12th June 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yes, it is silver saloon bought from voc member, and yes, I believe it is one of the best original 940 left. Been using it last two days and can only describe the drive as like a new Volvo! I don't drive quickly any more but have read so many times that these cars feel so much smoother and pokier with the upgraded boost, it's a simple mod I may pursue. Thanks all for advice!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by biggbn; Sunday 12th June 2016 at 12:15.

This user has no status

Thanks
    if you like the car so much don't risk blowing it up, stick a boost gauge in the glove box at least for setting it up and just checking it every now and then

cheers

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wiganer31 For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Tuesday 14th June 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yup, makes sense!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Think am gonna leave it as is just now, 350 miles since Sunday and not felt the need for more go yet. Big, comfy cruiser.

This user has no status

Thanks
    All i will say to you is what i was told when i went to inquire about an MBC for my Wentworth 2 litre 940

He said "why not?... and set it at 14psi...you don`t have to use the power but it is there if needed"

So i did...cost a fiver for around 20bhp more.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

This user has no status

Thanks
    Good point well made.

Bird is the word!
    Thanks
    It's well worth doing for the cost involved! As some have said, you will need a boost gauge initially to fine tune it to the desired boost psi.

Just remember to buy black silicone hoses for the mbc if you want it to blend in the engine bay. There is a nice space under the coolant reservoir to hide the mbc too!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Cheers man, I have very busy schedule but will look into this. Can anyone recommend a mbc or suitable boost gauge?

Bird is the word!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
    Cheers man, I have very busy schedule but will look into this. Can anyone recommend a mbc or suitable boost gauge?
    Depends on your budget? I used an ebay MBC similar to this; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TURBO-MANU...kAAMXQDnpTYh-Q
    No spikes although the ball did get misaligned when I unwound it too much, a quick wind back and it was fine!

Boost gauges, again I went for a £25 ebay TIM branded one, it had a slight rattle as most cheap boost gauges do. apparently fitting an inline fuel filter stops this buffering so im told?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dionbullock View Post
    Depends on your budget? I used an ebay MBC similar to this; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TURBO-MANU...kAAMXQDnpTYh-Q
    No spikes although the ball did get misaligned when I unwound it too much, a quick wind back and it was fine!

Boost gauges, again I went for a £25 ebay TIM branded one, it had a slight rattle as most cheap boost gauges do. apparently fitting an inline fuel filter stops this buffering so im told?
    thats the same mbc that i have, seems to work great

cheers

This user has no status

Thanks
    Have put 2900 miles on car in a month. Serving it's purpose!

Thread Information