Join Today
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Jon's New V70R

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jellison View Post
    250 and it seems he starts from scratch on each on he does so a dedicated map to your car and existing bits already on it.

Yep, a long way! Plus I mistakenly went to an old address he has somewhere on the web before realising (what a ££££ heap), wrong place and going another 40mind further north.

Also got that daft 2k emmisions startup taken off and tick over raised to ~900 (out of vib territory with the top mount). Smooth at idle and all through rev range now.
    Does the R rev at 2K when it is first started up?
    Dave

This user has no status

Thanks
    I did not press him on it, just let him do his stuff.

700 is very low (mine was around there when I first got it, last mapper able to get it high 7's, did say the ME7 ecu harder to raise to just any number you want (only within a tight range). Though Shem I think delves alot deeper. 900 spot on (for me). Yes it had the annoying 2k (warm the CAT up) emissions start up on (wake the neighbours up with my big exhaust a the time I leave each day!). Just sneek off now

Had a chap turned up on a low loader (same blue as Harvey's with the great dark red / tan leather). Turned out it was in for a full Auto to Manual Swap (hard all the bits in the back for the job - a Manual R obviously had to die to give all that up). Just shows how people are really missing being able to stir your own. All the 850's T5, T5R's and a good few V70R's an S60R's at Shems were all manuals. Kind of points to Auto drivers not really being ones to then want to push the performance over std (could not imagine driving mine on an 5 spd slush box).
    Last edited by jellison; Monday 29th October 2018 at 10:20.
    PH > https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/profile.asp? I memberId=7660
    Vids > https://www.youtube.com/user/MaximumAttack575/videos

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Jon
    I bet you are now very happy with your car,
    What is wrong with your Vida, can you post any photos of what it is doing, so I can try and help you get it working,
    Dave

This user has no status

Thanks
    Dave - many thanks with getting my Vida workin.

Was the fuse no. 9 not blown but just once swapped for a fresh one gave the obdb(?) line enough juice to enough juice to the box even though blue light was on before fuse swapped.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Jon
    No problem ,Like I say anytime,
    Dave

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Jon
    How are you getting on with vida , ?
    Dave

This user has no status

Thanks
    Very close call on Friday!!

Though head or worse was knackered!!

I'll get to the above in a sec.

So driving down M4 on Friday after work (on way to parents nr Swindon) sitting at 80 (kph) in middle lane, when the thing suddenly (nothing gradual here), just seemed to loose half it power.
    Just had enough momentum to sweep in front of bus in inside late and JUST catch the Membury Services slip road (other wise would have frozen bits off for best part of 3+ hours on hard shoulder).

Got it to services and stopped, rung Green flag and got a person to try to fix it after about 90 mins, he plugged stuff in and got a misfire on no 5 (I presumed a coil pack), he then pulls it apart and gets (no.1 out!! seemed to think 5 was on the left - I did not comment really as it clearly was going no where and needed a recovery truck. Another 90 mins later and on way home, home at just before 10pm.

I pulled all plugs and coil packs off the next day. No 5 (the real no. 5 on the right), had no bloody electrode on it! Had come off and in or gone through the exhaust valves and hopefully out the other side.

Got new NGK Iridium plug (one car supposed to run rather than the FoMoCo RS one that I had popped in when head shimmed at Tim W's) and a new coil pack. Initially did not seem to make any difference (running like a bag of spanners), but then turns out I had not seated the new coil right, then all fine.

Close call, thought the electrode might have knackered the head (knowing my luck) and was already working out how to get to Shem and what extra work he could do to it once fixed ...................... Compression tested it and no.1 and no.5 the same same all good. Still sound the Nuts.

PHEW. Not heard of the electrode falling off before in all years of motoring. But if anyone is using these RS Ford plugs I'd pull them out and bin them (they were in for 12k miles). I'll be replacing all the coil packs (Bosch) and going back to the NGK's this week..............

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi Jon
    good to know the car is ok,
    How are you getting on with vida,
    Dave

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Very close call on Friday!!

Though head or worse was knackered!!

I'll get to the above in a sec.

So driving down M4 on Friday after work (on way to parents nr Swindon) sitting at 80 (kph) in middle lane, when the thing suddenly (nothing gradual here), just seemed to loose half it power.
    Just had enough momentum to sweep in front of bus in inside late and JUST catch the Membury Services slip road (other wise would have frozen bits off for best part of 3+ hours on hard shoulder).

Got it to services and stopped, rung Green flag and got a person to try to fix it after about 90 mins, he plugged stuff in and got a misfire on no 5 (I presumed a coil pack), he then pulls it apart and gets (no.1 out!! seemed to think 5 was on the left - I did not comment really as it clearly was going no where and needed a recovery truck. Another 90 mins later and on way home, home at just before 10pm.

I pulled all plugs and coil packs off the next day. No 5 (the real no. 5 on the right), had no bloody electrode on it! Had come off and in or gone through the exhaust valves and hopefully out the other side.

Got new NGK Iridium plug (one car supposed to run rather than the FoMoCo RS one that I had popped in when head shimmed at Tim W's) and a new coil pack. Initially did not seem to make any difference (running like a bag of spanners), but then turns out I had not seated the new coil right, then all fine.

Close call, thought the electrode might have knackered the head (knowing my luck) and was already working out how to get to Shem and what extra work he could do to it once fixed ...................... Compression tested it and no.1 and no.5 the same same all good. Still sound the Nuts.

PHEW. Not heard of the electrode falling off before in all years of motoring. But if anyone is using these RS Ford plugs I'd pull them out and bin them (they were in for 12k miles). I'll be replacing all the coil packs (Bosch) and going back to the NGK's this week..............
    TBF Jon I've seen loadsa burnt out electrode tips on plugs even had them melted onto the earth! It's a common enough issue and affects most petrol cars, tuned or otherwise.

I wouldn't worry about it, just replace all 5 spark plugs and you'll be fine mate
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Good to know then Lee. Mind it was not so much burnt off as looked like a clean break where the electrode is welded to the main body of the plug. Be all back together this evening.

Dave, yes all good (Vida), mind I did get a cheapy diagnostic reader just to have in glove box as a back up.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jellison For This Useful Post:

davebb (Tuesday 8th January 2019)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Good to know then Lee. Mind it was not so much burnt off as looked like a clean break where the electrode is welded to the main body of the plug. Be all back together this evening.

Dave, yes all good (Vida), mind I did get a cheapy diagnostic reader just to have in glove box as a back up.
    Same difference mate, I see those too, all too regularly.

Rule No1: Petrol car with a misfire.....Always remove and check the plugs first!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    go for a colder plug, higher number NGK,
    Dave

This user has no status

Thanks
    Iridium IX Spark Plugs LFR7AIX, Stock 2309, and dont forget to gap them

V70 2.4T5 M66 Summum

This user has no status

Thanks
    Name:  IMG_2693.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  106.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_2692.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  110.2 KB

Got round to doing the Single mass flywheel conversion. Hears me thinking all cars had these till I came to do the clutch on the T5 a few years back!

Thanks to LeeT5 for providing the definitive list of all the parts required.

Basically a long list of bolts and seals (Volvo), Centre release bearing, TTV Racing SMF, Clutch (different one to std, but still Volvo item), different Gbox oil and clutch / Brake fluid (Dot 5).

So at the same time the clutch fluid changed all fluid to brake lines flushed and then bled with the new stuff (so hoping for a better pedal). From reading up on this swap I hear best to raise the idle a bit over std, mine was done when at Shem's from ~760 to ~900, so hopefully all good.

Pick-up tomorrow.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jellison For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Monday 25th February 2019)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Raising the idle on a V70R/S60R with this set up is completely unnecessary.
    The engine will start easier, rev easier than ever before with this mod.
    Drive ability will remain unchanged.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Cool then Lee, mind I felt it needed it over the frankly stupid low std idle, especially once once it had firmer engine poly bushing. 900 is perfect.

Looking forward to picking it up.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have Just sold my V70R, but the start up revs and low idle did piss me off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macV70R View Post
    I have Just sold my V70R, but the start up revs and low idle did piss me off.

I love the high idle start. Sounds fruity and pisses the neighbours off!! Lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    I love the high idle start. Sounds fruity and pisses the neighbours off!! Lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    I was glad to get the weird cold start high idle thing turned off (that emission cat warming thing for 30 odd sec's, but at the same time get the actual idle upped a bit). Don't want to pissed my neighbours off too much (try to limit amount I fire the properly load stuff up!).

Reminds me to do that recording of the 3" catback now mapping spot on.

Thread Information