Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Narcoleptic dash - 52 S60

Hi guys
    For the last week my dash has decided it will randomly switch off. Everything dies- dash lights, odo, trip, needles drop to 0, everything.

It does not seem to be related to bumps in the road (often though, a good smack on the top will bring it back - but not always).
    This morning, for the first time, it was dead when I started the car but then when sat at lights some 30 miles and 1 motorway later it just popped back into life.

I am assuming there will most likely be some loose connection somewhere. Arwe there any 'usual suspects'.
    Any tips on getting the dials out without bloodloss?

This user has no status

Thanks
    If the battery is in tip-top shape, then it's either a dash fault (plenty of similar threads all over the interweb) or another part on the network taking down you can bus communication. The second issue mentioned most likely will result the car to go to limp mode too.
    Get the error codes read with VIDA/DICE and see it from there.
    If it's the dash, then contact to VolvoDiagnostic

http://volvodiagnostic.com/shop/inde...duct&id_lang=1

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If you don't have access to VIDA then certainly no hrm in removing the cluster for a quick check of the connections at the back. It's surprisingly easy, only takes a few minutes, a few screws to undo and can be withdrawn without removing the wheel. Do a search and you'll find a guide or a video on Youtube, I know I did easily enough (I can't actually remember the specifics of what to do though, which is a bit embarrassing as it was only about a month or so ago that I did it!).
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

This user has no status

Thanks
    The issue with D.I.M units (dash/instrument cluster) is actual dry joints on the P.C.B.
    I'm sure there are some threads on Swedespeed where people have managed to re-solder them.
    Basically that is all the likes of B.B.A reman e.t.c will do.

But as stated above it would be advisable to have the codes read.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It certainly feels like a dry solder issue. I was just wondering if it were one thing that always fails. I doubt very much its a bus issue as everything else runs fine.

I seem to remember my old V70 dash being a massive pain to remove so good news this is easier

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baj View Post
    It certainly feels like a dry solder issue. I was just wondering if it were one thing that always fails. I doubt very much its a bus issue as everything else runs fine.

I seem to remember my old V70 dash being a massive pain to remove so good news this is easier
    Before you condem the DIM, like Gold n brown says, it's worth removing the DIM and checking the connections are not dry in the plugs. Use a contact cleaner and refit.
    You've got nothing to lose and it may well fix your issue.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Oh yeah, that is exactly the plan

This user has no status
    Thanks
    DIM came out easily enough but the tutorials online all talk of reflowing with hot air guns and stuff which I cant to.
    I saw nothing obvious on the back but I cannot get to the front side.
    I guess I'll have to get a replacement

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Replacement will cost in the region of £800.
    If you know anybody who's handy with a soldering iron, it's the Motorola chip on the pcv that'll need reflowing.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Replacement will cost in the region of £800.
    If you know anybody who's handy with a soldering iron, it's the Motorola chip on the pcv that'll need reflowing.
    Exactly what Martin says. You don't use a hot air gun, you need a soldering iron with a fine tip and a steady hand!

You could send it to BBA reman (google). Turn around is 3 days and costs around £220 inc lifetime warranty.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    As I mentioned couple of posts above
    £ 65.00 for the same.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by htomi View Post
    As I mentioned couple of posts above
    £ 65.00 for the same.

That's an excellent price, I'd go for that.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    It's a common fault it does the same on my 70 if I have the heater on or it's a hot day it works fine if I've got the aircon on it either don't work at all or it's like a disco !,

Thread Information