Join Today

Thread: Gear box

This user has no status

Thanks

Gear box

Got a grinding noise from front off the car someone says I need a gearbox any suggestions where I can get one it's for a 1999 v70 r awd

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Assuming it is drivetrain related - I had a grinding noise on my 850 AWD. Turned out to be the connecting sleeve between the gearbox and the angle gear (part of the AWD system).

Problem was that the connecting sleeve had worn down the splines on the gearbox so I had to replace it.

In the later cars I think they 'glued' the connecting sleeve to the gearbox (not sure which year they started that though)

It could also be the angle gear.

Anyway, best to get it fully diagnosed before going and getting a gearbox. The sleeve is designed to wear so you don't have to replace more expensive components. A connecting sleeve costs around £90 (last time I checked).
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

abdul (Thursday 30th November 2017)

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Hi Abdul, I'm assuming that this is on Laser? Is there not a receipt for a gearbox at 120k miles or so from what I remember? She's only in the 140's now isn't she?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
    Assuming it is drivetrain related - I had a grinding noise on my 850 AWD. Turned out to be the connecting sleeve between the gearbox and the angle gear (part of the AWD system).

Problem was that the connecting sleeve had worn down the splines on the gearbox so I had to replace it.

In the later cars I think they 'glued' the connecting sleeve to the gearbox (not sure which year they started that though)

It could also be the angle gear.

Anyway, best to get it fully diagnosed before going and getting a gearbox. The sleeve is designed to wear so you don't have to replace more expensive components. A connecting sleeve costs around £90 (last time I checked).
    Will get it checked

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foammanmark View Post
    Hi Abdul, I'm assuming that this is on Laser? Is there not a receipt for a gearbox at 120k miles or so from what I remember? She's only in the 140's now isn't she?
    She's on 158 k at the moment I think the gear box was done 8 years ago not sure what the mileage was will check

This user has no status

Thanks
    Just looked at the folder the gearbox was done at 99k in 2006

This user has no status

Thanks
    As dangerous dave says I am going to look at the awd system before I do anything else

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    An easy way to check is if the propshaft will turn without turning the front wheels (as the prop is connected directly to the diff). If it does then the rear is disconnected somewhere between the prop and the gearbox output shaft which means the connecting sleeve or the angle gear. You may even be able to get the grinding noise.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Thread Information