Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Advice on T5 engine tuning

Hi id like some advice of you guys please, for the last couple of years iv been fitting a Volvo 850 t5 into my BMW E30 3 series, and im getting pretty close now.
    Iv been looking on various forums at tuning advice for the T5 and getting lots of conflicting information on things ie. maximum safe boost pressure and the dreaded con rod problems! So id just like to ask you's a couple of questions.

(Engine and ECU came from a M reg police spec....lol 850, and the turbo i belive is a 15g)

1, What is the standard ECU boost limit?
    2, What is the standard maximum boost pressure?
    3, What is the maximum boost pressure that the standard engine, ecu, turbo ect can be set too?
    4, I will be useing a electric controlled boost controller, how should I set it i.e what pressure at low RPMs
    5, What is wrong with the con rods lol, i mean what kills them? and how can i keep them in my engine?
    6, What would be the next step for my engine? id like to get around 300 BHP at the wheels, but i cant afford a fordged bottom end.

Thanks ian

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbade View Post
    Hi id like some advice of you guys please, for the last couple of years iv been fitting a Volvo 850 t5 into my BMW E30 3 series, and im getting pretty close now.
    Iv been looking on various forums at tuning advice for the T5 and getting lots of conflicting information on things ie. maximum safe boost pressure and the dreaded con rod problems! So id just like to ask you's a couple of questions.

(Engine and ECU came from a M reg police spec....lol 850, and the turbo i belive is a 15g)

1, What is the standard ECU boost limit?
    2, What is the standard maximum boost pressure?
    3, What is the maximum boost pressure that the standard engine, ecu, turbo ect can be set too?
    4, I will be useing a electric controlled boost controller, how should I set it i.e what pressure at low RPMs
    5, What is wrong with the con rods lol, i mean what kills them? and how can i keep them in my engine?
    6, What would be the next step for my engine? id like to get around 300 BHP at the wheels, but i cant afford a fordged bottom end.

Thanks ian
    Hi Ian, I will try and answer the best I can. If I'm wrong at all I'm sure the guys on here will correct me.

1. Boost cut is usually around 15psi on a standard ECU, obviously a remap will solve this enabling you to run higher boost.

2. Standard boost is around 9-10psi I think. Maybe a little more for the R versions.

3. As per question 1. Also the 15g will be blowing hot air above 18psi. Popular bolt on upgrades are 16T, 18T and 19T.

4. As for max boost, this all depends on if you have it remapped or not. Low rpm torque/boost is what usually kills the rods. I would say limit boost to 15-16psi until 3.5-4k rpm, then full boost thereafter.

5. As above, it's all about good mapping and limiting boost low rpms.

6. I may be wrong here, someone please correct me if am but 300bhp at the crank is quite achievable with a 18/19T turbo, downpipe, injectors, remap, exhaust, filter etc but 300 at the wheels may take more work but i'm sure it's been done with the mods above on a good engine. Above 330 crank bhp, people usually go Garrett turbo which obviously takes a lot of mods to fit and they fit the rods as a matter of precaution. Basically 300bhp at the crank is relatively cheap and easy but after this point, the costs begin to rise rapidly.

Hope this helps.

Mitch.
    Last edited by mitchyboy01; Monday 12th September 2011 at 18:47.
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

This user has no status

Thanks
    thanks for the reply mate, very helpful.
    Now I have a couple more questions though,
    1, Where would i get one of the 16/18/19 turbos from, are they from another volvo?
    2, Is there any way of removing the boost cut from the ecu without a full remap? because i dont really want to part with £400 at the moment if i can help it.
    Thanks again ian

This user has no status
    Thanks
    http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=10961

Have a read of this mate there is some great info. The 16t comes standard on the v70, c70 and s70s t5s so easy to come across from breakers. Im not sure but i think the 19t comes from the later v70r variants. As for a remap I'm sure you can get them cheaper than that. There is no other way of removing the boost cut. Ill do some digging this week about the remaps and let you know mate. Im at wrk replying on my phone atm lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks alot mate ill have a read, and get some work done! lol
    Thanks ian

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I made 312 without a forged bottom LOL
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Volvo sucks....... lots of air
    Thanks
    1) Boost cut on an original ECU is about what Mitch said. Only a remap allows you to go more (turbo dependent, unless you have an MBC/EBC). But boost is not eveything. A 3" MAF housing is a cheaper alternative but then you'll need a remap to match or you'l have idling issues

2) As Mitch said

3) Ditto but if you are not changing the downpipes, only the straight flange turbing fits your current 15G. Only upgrades you can do now will be the 16T from the R or V70-T5

4 +5) Answered

6) 300 WHP can be achieved by : 19T (ext wastegated), 3" D/P & exhaust to match, blue injectors, remap (with boost & rev cut removed), EBC, High octance fuel. FMIC and alcohol/water injection helps in the summer or during a dyno with poor blower fan.

However the most important thing you need to upgrade is the BRAKES

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    the Torque will give you a considerable advantage over a N/A car of the same power.

Audi are downsizing their cars at the moment... even though the new versions are quicker, then generally have 4lb-ft extra for every BHP lost.

You'll be pushing 330lb-ft throughout the rev range... it'll absolutely fly even with just 300 @ the crank

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    If you're good with computers then you can have a go at remapping the ecu yourself.....

Check out Motronic Suite on this site
    http://trionic.mobixs.eu/

A chip programmer can be bought quite cheaply and chips and sockets are no more than a couple of quid each.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

Cookie Monster
    its getting there
    Thanks
    ive just had mine remapped by hlm in bromsgrove cost me 150 plus 12 quid p&p and beleive me its well worth the money im now boosting at 20 psi dropping to around 18 higher up the rev range

and i have to say you are indeed building the perfect car for me,t5 power in an e30 god dam thats sexy lol love for you to show us photos mate...please

full respray..plenty of body mods..comets..ray cat back noise pipe..decat and wrapped downpipe..me7 exhaust manifold..3" throttle body with ported inlet manifold..blue injectors..adjustable fuel reg..reverse intercooler pipework..19t..open cone air filter..255 fuel pump..m-r-p short shift..boost gauge..unknown remap..adjustable suspension..lightweight crank pulley..n/a cams..stripped out interior..and a heavy right foot

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    If you are on a budget the HLM map is a great bargain. You wont see 300 out of it but it is well worth a visit - good starting point at least.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    hi thanks for the helpfull replys guys, I think that maby i wanted a bit more power than i can afford lol, so I think for now im going to look for a 18t turbo, blue injectors and use my Apexi ebc, and ill look into these remaps a bit more before i decide who im going to get to remap it.(Thanks Bomb192 but im compleatley useless with computerslol)
    Will I be ok with the standard intercooler with this set up? I dont really want to change it yet because it was such a nightmare to fit.
    Glock19 (cool name lol) Could you tell me more about the mass airflw housing, is this of another volvo? and is this a common upgrade? i.e will there be a remap available? and dont worry ill do somthing with the brakes.
    Iv only got one pic on this pc and its come along alot since this but ill post it anyway, and ill post some updated ones when my friend finally finishes the respray.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbade View Post
    hi thanks for the helpfull replys guys, I think that maby i wanted a bit more power than i can afford lol, so I think for now im going to look for a 18t turbo, blue injectors and use my Apexi ebc, and ill look into these remaps a bit more before i decide who im going to get to remap it.(Thanks Bomb192 but im compleatley useless with computerslol)
    Will I be ok with the standard intercooler with this set up? I dont really want to change it yet because it was such a nightmare to fit.
    Glock19 (cool name lol) Could you tell me more about the mass airflw housing, is this of another volvo? and is this a common upgrade? i.e will there be a remap available? and dont worry ill do somthing with the brakes.
    Iv only got one pic on this pc and its come along alot since this but ill post it anyway, and ill post some updated ones when my friend finally finishes the respray.
    Standard Intercoolers are supposed to be very good. You don't hear much discussion about them or the gearboxes as these are not a weak point. Only when you go for big power do people seem to go for a custom jobby.

Thanks,

Mitch.

Volvo sucks....... lots of air
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=bigbade;410698]hi thanks for the helpfull replys guys, I think that maby i wanted a bit more power than i can afford lol, so I think for now im going to look for a 18t turbo, blue injectors and use my Apexi ebc, and ill look into these remaps a bit more before i decide who im going to get to remap it.

QUOTE]

Good choice on the 18T turbo but hope you're using the AVC-R from Apexi, it'll allow a gradual build-up of boost pressure as the rev goes up as well. There's no other Volvo MAF housing that the 850 can use as the orientation of the sensor is a 90 Deg off from the newer ME7 models (Those are actually 3" housing but sensor diameter is smaller than the 850)

So you'll need to fabricate one either from Delrin (similar to Nylon texture but cheaper) or some stainless steel hose. Either one of these will require an open pod filter unless you are very good with your hands and can retain the original intake box. Due to the increase of air flow volume -with no difference in detection by the MAF, boost is raised or rather the limits are increased.

Some tuning companies can remove the boost cut when asked.

Thread Information