Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Auto box wanted, anybody got one?

Hi Everybody.

Got a problem with my R, looks like the autobox is knackered.

What happened was,

Drove it for about 5 miles and all perfect, park up at a friends house and had to reverse about 300 meters to get out of his tight lane, been reversing for about 200 meters and engine revved but lost drive, no forward gears either.

Turned it off and restarted and still nothing, turned it off and slammed the selector back and forth and got drive back, went a few yards forward and it faded to no drive again, did this a few times and managed to move about 100 yards really only to get out of traffic. No dash lights on. Let it cool and had a poke around under the bonnet, all level ok and not burnt, started again and it drove perfectly through the gears for a mile the faded again so got it towed.

I am prepared for the bad news but i am not totally convinced the box has had it as when it does go it is so smooth and also no lights?

The only thing i did differant just before it failed was to hit the tracs switch and switch it off then back on as i was trying to open the roof. Cant see this has anything to do with it tho.

It is off to my friend who is gloucester indie volvo tech on monday for codes etc but i thought i would try the brains on here for anything in the mean time and also get a box, even if it is not the box i will buy one for a spare as i need the car on the road quickly when it breaks due to the wife and kids hectic social life.

What really p++++s me off is that i spent 2 days claying and polishing it and have just bought new brake discs and pads and this is how it treats me, complete lack of respect!

Appreciate any info.

Ta

Steve

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks

auto box

Quote Originally Posted by ahhpigsy View Post
    Hi Everybody.

Got a problem with my R, looks like the autobox is knackered.

What happened was,

Drove it for about 5 miles and all perfect, park up at a friends house and had to reverse about 300 meters to get out of his tight lane, been reversing for about 200 meters and engine revved but lost drive, no forward gears either.

Turned it off and restarted and still nothing, turned it off and slammed the selector back and forth and got drive back, went a few yards forward and it faded to no drive again, did this a few times and managed to move about 100 yards really only to get out of traffic. No dash lights on. Let it cool and had a poke around under the bonnet, all level ok and not burnt, started again and it drove perfectly through the gears for a mile the faded again so got it towed.

I am prepared for the bad news but i am not totally convinced the box has had it as when it does go it is so smooth and also no lights?

The only thing i did differant just before it failed was to hit the tracs switch and switch it off then back on as i was trying to open the roof. Cant see this has anything to do with it tho.

It is off to my friend who is gloucester indie volvo tech on monday for codes etc but i thought i would try the brains on here for anything in the mean time and also get a box, even if it is not the box i will buy one for a spare as i need the car on the road quickly when it breaks due to the wife and kids hectic social life.

What really p++++s me off is that i spent 2 days claying and polishing it and have just bought new brake discs and pads and this is how it treats me, complete lack of respect!

Appreciate any info.

Ta

Steve

Hi am not an expert but have found autos to be a real P in the A***
    only thing that springs to mind is the P N P switch???

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Maybe a solenoid fault there mate,

Gary
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by siamblue View Post
    Maybe a solenoid fault there mate,

Gary
    I did think it might be PNP which is why i banged it through the options a few times but i really do not know much about this fault or where the PNP switch is.

Gary, nice to hear from you, if it is a solenoid problem is this a box out job or just sump of and replace?

Thanks for the info, appreciate any more.

Steve

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Depending on model it will have 4 or i think 5 solenoids, all you have to do is take the front cover off as you look at the front nearside of the car, they are all under there, get a multimeter on them to see if any are at fault,

Gary
    V40 2.0T Sport Lux Titanium grey,(03) 133k,standard
    Yamaha R1 5VY,(06) 180bhp/165whp,100nm

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Gear box is shot, sump full of churned up casing. I think that this is due to the tuning and extra torque.

I have bitten the bullet and bought a second hand box from Salvo for £250 and getting it fitted for £200 inc oil from my mate a Volvo indie.

I will bang the invoices through the business to offset the vat etc so not to bad.

I am still after a box if any are available especially if it has low miles, at current rate i am going to need one a year so better stock up.

Steve

in dilema near ilford
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahhpigsy View Post
    Gear box is shot, sump full of churned up casing. I think that this is due to the tuning and extra torque.

I have bitten the bullet and bought a second hand box from Salvo for £250 and getting it fitted for £200 inc oil from my mate a Volvo indie.

I will bang the invoices through the business to offset the vat etc so not to bad.

I am still after a box if any are available especially if it has low miles, at current rate i am going to need one a year so better stock up.

Steve
    Convert to manual,flamin auto box just aint up to the job

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Got the used box in and all ok, for the time being at least. Has been in for a few weeks now actually, haven't had much time to come on here.

The manual option was just to much trouble, if i had the facilities i would have tackled it myself as a project, but haven't so didnt.

Long term plan is to get the duff box professional rebuilt and fitted when this box fails, and it will!

Thanks for the replies.

Steve

Thread Information