Join Today

Hybrid View

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quick update: since doing the job and writing about it, I have since found out that I was wrong about the air distribution box for the heater system. The white plastic box is standard on non-AC 940s. Hadn't seen anything anywhere on the internet about it until last week, then it turns out I was wrong and it's not that uncommon. Can't go back and edit my previous posts so here is a correction in hindsight

Not done much to the car recently but will be working on getting it tuned properly soon using TunerPro and attempting to get the fueling right for my setup. There's a great thread on Turbobricks about it and a good resource here: https://ipdown.net/jetronic.info/tiki-index.php
    The stock fuel map is pretty rough and has weird things in it. So immediate priorities are (first to refresh front suspension) get a wideband in and a chip burner, and start messing around with things I don't understand very well.
    If I don't manage to blow my engine up doing that, then the same process works for the EZK (ignition module) too. You're welcome to have a sweepstakes on how long it takes me to bend the rods

( I am joking of course).

This user has no status

Thanks
    It's been a while since I said anything; recently moved house and started a new job.

Here's a picture of the cam cover I took way too long to paint, photograph and upload. I think it looks alright. Annoyingly various hoses run across it (that PCV breather pipe from my ****ty eBay catch can in particular) and have rubbed away the paint in places. I also replaced the seal in the oil filler cap and stopped that from leaking for once, so it's yet to have puked oil over the cover at least. I'm amazed that the catchcan and PCV system are actually doing a decent job; my other oil leaks are negligible as well. Realised when I swapped it on that my oil was disgusting (only 5k miles since last change so pretty good timing.

Name:  camcover.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  911.2 KB

Did a couple of oil changes in January before I moved, at a really short interval. No way am I putting any of that engine flush ££££e through it, figured a short oil change would do as good a job without dislodging all the sludge and getting it somewhere it shouldn't be. It came out gross either way.

Name:  Screenshot_20200107-185528_Video Player.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  428.9 KB

Took it on a dyno to see how much (little) power the turd makes. Went to JPR Tuning in Bristol, wholly recommend and one of the guys there is a Volvo guy too so was good to have someone who knew something about bricks and LH2.4.
    It made 195.9 (flywheel) horsepower at 5195, and 221.7 ft lbs at 3370. Peak wheel hp was 154.8. Full spec list at the time for direct reference:
    15G at 0.6 bar, V cam on stock timing, standard LH2.4 ECU and EZK. Muffler deleted, and generally a fairly healthy engine. Useful to put some numbers on the wall rather than guessing and talking ££££.
    This also highlighted some of weaknesses of my setup /LH 2.4 in general. Leans out on throttle tip in around 3000 RPM, and then goes too rich up top (AFRs of 12.5 ish and then down to 9s above about 5400). As a result, I didn't turn the boost up as was the original plan, but probably wise as the clutch isn't holding it either.

Went and got some custom chips from Martin Smith (I believe he's on here but rarely), to tide me over until I sort out a proper management system. Great service from Martin and 100% recommend!

Haven't had it back on the dyno yet, but will be getting a wideband in and sorting out the front suspension before I do. Have an electric fan to sort out and am going to be sorting out a new management system. It's gotten to the point now where everything I want to do is actually quite expensive.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jfxv For This Useful Post:

kmb (Monday 17th February 2020)

Thread Information