Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

LPG conversion to a T5??

Just thinking a bit in the future here, when I get my volvo (and when i've managed to save up enough money!), I was thinking would an LPG conversion be worthwhile??

So has anyone else thought about it/done it??

Would there be any power loss? Would it be worth it in the end if I was to keep the car for a few years??

Thoughts people....

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    buy a D5 - tune it - leave the poor T5 engine alone - LOL
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave
    buy a D5 - tune it - leave the poor T5 engine alone - LOL
    Hmmm, I think i'll call that 'plan b'......

This user has no status

Thanks

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeast
    Cheers mate!

I did a search for 'LPG conversion" but that didnt seem to turn up

So going a bit off subject here (sorry!), is it better to run a T5 on the optimax/posh petrol, or is bog standard petrol fine?

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    A Rica Tuned D5 has more power and more torque than a standard T5 and it has the fuel econ. From what I hear LPG runs to hot and dry for the T5 engine to cope
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JO5EPH
    Cheers mate!

I did a search for 'LPG conversion" but that didnt seem to turn up

So going a bit off subject here (sorry!), is it better to run a T5 on the optimax/posh petrol, or is bog standard petrol fine?
    Yeah, i searched for it too and nothing turned up, i just rememberd asking the same question when i was a newbie I think on the second page of that thread i refer to a Fiat Coupe which had the LPG conversion done at Eddies. Hes still extremely happy and goes on about how economical it is. The engine in the Coupe is also a 5cyl 20v turbo, and if a Fiat engine can handle LPG........

On a standard T5 then 95 is fine.

This user has no status

Thanks
    well what can i say mine is rica tuned and also lpg converted ( waiting for the flames ) i am more than happy with what i have had done regarcding lpg conversion ive done 673 miles for £36 in gas you do the maths . i know there are a few members who say dont touch it but as far as ime consernded each to ther own, if any members are local to myself and want to arrange a test drive of mine i am more than willing to let them have a play of jojo. she is still sh*t of a shovel. (waiting for the flames)
    ps jojo is justins ex t5

gary

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayswanted1
    well what can i say mine is rica tuned and also lpg converted ( waiting for the flames ) i am more than happy with what i have had done regarcding lpg conversion ive done 673 miles for £36 in gas you do the maths . i know there are a few members who say dont touch it but as far as ime consernded each to ther own, if any members are local to myself and want to arrange a test drive of mine i am more than willing to let them have a play of jojo. she is still sh*t of a shovel. (waiting for the flames)
    ps jojo is justins ex t5

gary

Hi,

mine is also lpg converted.
    205 000 km, one thing you have to keep in mind is that you do that for money.
    The day you wanna have fun, turn lpg off. And burn.
    I made 25.000 km with the equipment and just at the beginning, i had some problem due to ignition, have to change it.
    You have to be attentive with your car, check oil level, air filter, ... more then fuel stand alone system.
    Now i spend 200€/month, before i spent 420€/month. :d
    on one year the lpg conversion is paid.
    Gary : what's the make of your system?
    My system is a Romano sequential.
    And this is ecologic !

bye.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    ps jojo is justins ex t5

gary
    I'll have a go Gary would be very interesting to see what the difference is!

This user has no status

Thanks
    ps jojo is justins ex t5

gary
    I think that those who say 'don't' are driving RICA modified ones, which should always have high octane fuel.
    If its a standard T5 then general driving would be ok I think (SAAB and VOLVO have experimented with bi-fuel turbo cars for years) with the occasional run of high octane just to keep the valves in good fettle. Obviously if you are flooring it everywhere , you are going to get trouble!

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    The only true test would be 2 brand new T5s one lpg one not both driven the same way and serviced at the same time. Yes the LPG will be cheaper in the short term but I bet the petrol engine would out live the LPG engine.
    Apart from some one living in london I cant see why anyone would want a stock 2.4 lpg volvo over a D5.
    Im always intrested to see how people get on with LPG but intill I see a volvo T5 thats done 250k+ on LPG and still running well I wont be sold!
    2004 V50 T5 SE

Thread Information