Join Today
    The old girl is a little rough
    Thanks

Temp needle fully warm position 163hp D5 ?(Pic inside!)

Evening folks, gone and bought a cheap S60 D5, seems alright, clutch is good, engine is strong, just a few bits needed doing to it.

IE: Power steering pump changing/reconditioning & a general service.

My question is this, (Is this normal temp needle position for a D5, it took ages to warm up, I fitted a new header tank and flushed the coolant as there was a fair bit of crap in there, took about 20 mins to warm up (without driving it) - Temp needle sat just after the 12 O clock position, didnt really go any further, fan did not kick in either, but what confuses me is when i test drove it and gave it a good thrashing, it sort of sat at 10 O clock and didnt go any further, but surely the Tstat is working as its keeping it @ 90 degrees or so at 12 O clock. Sorry for the ramble guys, just want to paint a clear picture.

Heres a photo of where it sat. Thankyou, Pilla.

Name:  20150128_175233.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  1.17 MB
    '04 S60 D5 163

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Seems good to me if it sits at the 12o'clock position, although from the angle of the pic it does look slightly past that position. Mine currently takes approx 10 minutes of driving to get to temperature.

I think in this current weather, you'd struggle to get the cooling fan to engage on a D5.

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    I've done 150K in my D5 and I look at this picture and can't decide if its right or wrong!

My gut feeling says mine sits straight up 12 o'clock.

D5's take an age to warm up, if it hit operating temp in 20 mins at idle thats quick. A few years ago I drove 25 miles at 20 mph in snow (I could have gone quicker using winter tyres but your limited by the speed of others), in that time I didn't even get warm air through the vents!

My current commute is 12 miles of stop start A roads into Bristol, gauge does not hit normal until last mile of motorway.

With this in mind I changed my stat last year and the new ones performs in exactly the same way.

Volvo only do a stat assembly for mega money, the stat is not sold seperatley. I think it is 'Gates' that do just the stat. I did post up on T5D5 about it so have a search over there.

Just to add coming home I hit the motorway in 3 minutes and its at operating temperature in 10 minutes.

Thanks
    Thanks Stephen, I took the pic dead on angle wise, Nice S60 in your sig, no colour coded mirrors?
    '04 S60 D5 163

Thanks
    Heya Redbrick, thanks for that, I held it at 2krpm for the last few mins or so to finally get the needle to where it was at. I suppose as long as it doesnt go any further on the gauge then its alright.
    '04 S60 D5 163

Thanks
    You just reminded me of a car i bought a few years ago from Bristol Redbrick, An old C220CDI, bought it off Ian Holloways cousin, who by the way was pretty much his double, voice and looks wise. That had a dodgy thermostat and dropped an injector after a few weeks.
    '04 S60 D5 163

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    All Bristolians are related to and sound like Ian Holloway

(I'm a Bathonian lol)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Redbrick For This Useful Post:

pillapow (Wednesday 28th January 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Mine is exactly the same, its a 2003 D5, had it from new and its always shown the same temp as yours....
    Living in Greece now, different weather conditions than the UK and still the same..

Thread Information