Join Today
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Yeah but whats the point when people cant take things onboard. Advice is just that. Spitting your dummy out and is just childish. Theres a load of hear say on hear but also some good advise if your prepared to wade through all the waffle.
    s60 2.4 t5 eibach springs,up rated rear anti roll bar, poly bushed wishbones, poly lower engine mount, fmic, bmc air filter, 3" decat, 2.5" stainless exhaust,hlm remap 328bhp,

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    i dont htink the black wishbone bushes will be that harsh, but we all know that all black engine mounts will be a silly move.
    Actually, having now completely Powerflexed my top engine mount assembly with every available Powerflex Black Bushing available, I can say I'm genuinely happy with the way it feels and aside from increased dash vibration which would happen with any grade of Powerflex, I love the feeling of the car and am quite comfortable with the comfort level. On a run, even at 30mph, I don't notice any vibration from the Black bushes and that's the honest truth.
    Last edited by JamesT5; Saturday 15th March 2014 at 00:00.

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Can I just say, those who are showing support for me here, thank you, you know who you are.

For the minority that seem to want to hack me to death, do you really think the world is going to end when these bushes are fitted because it's actually quite comical reading some of the comments. The way you are talking, you'd think my car was going to take off and cause an RTA every time I drive over a Cats eye.

For those of you think my bushes are too hard, I have some good news for you. I've written to Powerflex about their up and coming 'Powerflex Pink' range of bushes, these will be designed for Monster Trucks but they plan to bring out a range for the V70, S60 and S80 along with the V70 P1 and 850 models. They're way softer than the yellow range so when the truck comes down hard the driver doesn't get whiplash. Should be good and they'll look great as well....

Last edited by JamesT5; Saturday 15th March 2014 at 00:01.

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    But not a lot of people know that fitting the powerflex strut brace tensioners, reduces the engine vibration caused by fitting poly engine mounts

Part of the function of forums is to help rectify problems when they occur, not just tell people what they should or shouldn't do. they might like having their nuts jiggled
    That's a bit of a reactive view, I think most people are being proactive, and trying to avoid problems before they occur. For my part, I think all that'll happen is they'll be more road noise, more vibration through the steering, and it won't transform the handling the way James thinks it will. On the upside the steering should feel sharper.
    Last edited by stribo; Saturday 15th March 2014 at 07:41.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stribo For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Saturday 15th March 2014)

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post
    .... do you really think the world is going to end when these bushes are fitted because it's actually quite comical reading some of the comments.
    I'm holding onto this months mortgage payment - JUST IN CASE

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    James hope you have a good run down south today & the work goes to plan.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    Yeah but whats the point when people cant take things onboard. Advice is just that. Spitting your dummy out and is just childish. Theres a load of hear say on hear but also some good advise if your prepared to wade through all the waffle.
    if your "advice" was actually based on anything, such as having tried them then i could understand all the anti-black comments. To me the advice on how stupid it is to fit Black bushes is in the same league as the comments about "how it'll be too harsh & uncomfortable", different people want different things from there car & different people can tolerate different conditions & may be quite happy with it
    Last edited by p fandango; Saturday 15th March 2014 at 07:34.

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    if your "advice" was actually based on anything, such as having tried them then i could understand all the anti-black comments. To me the advice on how stupid it is to fit Black bushes is in the same league as the comments about "how it'll be too harsh & uncomfortable", different people want different things from there car & different people can tolerate different conditions & may be quite happy with it
    It's a bit harsh to call him a racist.

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    To me it just seems a very strange sequence of modifying, if I wanted to improve my handeling I would start with a strut brace then probably uprated dampers and perhaps a little lowering, then probably bushes (but ones suitable for fast road)
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

960kg (Saturday 15th March 2014),LeeT5 (Saturday 15th March 2014),MIKESC70T5 (Saturday 15th March 2014)

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    To me it just seems a very strange sequence of modifying, if I wanted to improve my handeling I would start with a strut brace then probably uprated dampers and perhaps a little lowering, then probably bushes (but ones suitable for fast road)
    I guess the main reason to change them is due to MOT is around the corner and they are in a poor condition (wishbones that is).

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Harsh and uncomfortable... try Apex yellow springs on a P2 - now that ruins the ride. I'm pretty sure (keep in mind I've now fitted pretty much every type of upgraded bush to P2 wishbones) that James's car will still be more comfortable than mine.

It's been interesting reading the various reactions to this thread, but most of the negative stuff is purely based on reading the blurb on the powerflex ad and not actually experiencing these bushes first hand. They are a lot harder to fit and will transfer a lot more vibration to the car but I can't see it ruining handling, quite the opposite, the level of feedback and precision compared to the non-genuine rubber bushes he has now, will be nothing but positive.

Let's see what the day brings...
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

siamblue (Saturday 15th March 2014)

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Have a good day mate, let us all know how you get on and your HONEST opinion of the results.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by V70 Graham View Post
    Have a good day mate, let us all know how you get on and your HONEST opinion of the results.
    You know me, if I think it's crap, I'll say so
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Harsh and uncomfortable... try Apex yellow springs on a P2 - now that ruins the ride. I'm pretty sure (keep in mind I've now fitted pretty much every type of upgraded bush to P2 wishbones) that James's car will still be more comfortable than mine.

It's been interesting reading the various reactions to this thread, but most of the negative stuff is purely based on reading the blurb on the powerflex ad and not actually experiencing these bushes first hand. They are a lot harder to fit and will transfer a lot more vibration to the car but I can't see it ruining handling, quite the opposite, the level of feedback and precision compared to the non-genuine rubber bushes he has now, will be nothing but positive.

Let's see what the day brings...
    I know i am P1 V70 but i have Apex Yellow springs 40mm drop and yes mine is firm (but not uncomfortable) but then i have 55 ratio tyres to help it out. I have the suitable Bilstein Struts on the front but use standard shocks on the rear as i prefer the rear to break away first!

I have read all about these black bushes in this thread and don`t wish to join the banter but for road cars unlike race cars one has to have suspension, not for comfort only but for grip, if the suspension does not give or absorb the correct amount the car WILL slip off a cats eye in the wet easier than one could imagine and with the state of our roads tramlining will be all to familiar and can be dangerous driving fast.

It`s no good saying i only travel between points A & B `cos the road is smooth!........this is rather a silly statement.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Saturday 15th March 2014)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi James

I have read this thread with interest, and totally understand peoples advice/comments. reading your previous posts, what you do as an amateur mechanic is great, and I applaud all that you achieve with your car.

A few years ago, we (who i work for) started research into KERS and TERS for heavy vehicles. We were rubbished at the time, but now, F1 has taken it on board, and it is already in production vehicles, and every other company is on the back foot.

What i'm trying to say is, its your car, your money, and if its rubbish afterwards, you can fix it. Opinion and advice is great, and well worth taking on board but its your decision and if you like how your car feels after the mods, then brilliant!

What I have found is everybody is an expert, but only you know what you want!

Apologies if I upset anybody!

Cheers

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sperm1980 For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Saturday 15th March 2014),soothingduck (Saturday 15th March 2014)

Another day,Another part. The
    Volvo pile is getting bigger

Thanks
    I have been following this thread from the start and watched it go downhill (like so many other threads here and all over the net)
    I once posted a thread about a canoe I built from plans, it took about 10 months and over that time 6 people got banned over fluk hall (but it just got worse) and my the time i'd finished the canoe I was just so sick of it I didn't post a pic of the finished canoe and just never went back.

The fact is text is not the same as face to face as you can't read the other persons face ( a smiley just isn't the same as a smile) and people say things that they wouldn't say to your face (they will tell you different) It's just how the net is.
    The net is like ice-cream (best served chilled) I must admit to wishing m/soft would invent a vertual poking stick from time to time.

I am about to redo all engine bushes during my rebuild but have no idea which way to go and i'm not sure I dare ask now.

It's a shame really

22. The Following User Says Thank You to soothingduck For This Useful Post:

Sperm1980 (Saturday 15th March 2014)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    For the record, I have new OEM, yellow, purple AND black PF bushes fitted to my car.

Regards the black bushes fitted to the wishbones, I think it's a great move because the steering will be more positive and not 'floaty'. Fitting black bushes here will not make one jot of difference to the ride quality per say, due to the relative nature of the bush in relation to the suspension itself.
    However, quite why you want to fit black bushes to the engine mount is beyond me? They don't improve handling here and surely the point of a bush in the first place is to prevent metal to metal contact and therefore eliminate ANY vibration.
    Fitting the black insert bushes to the strut brace does not increase or decrease vibration, I should know as I have used the purple insert and now I use IPD's alloy strut brace brackets (you don't get any harder than that) and after fitting I noted absolutely no increase in dash vibration.
    Having the strut brace inserts will improve steering feel and sharpen the front end up slightly, so this can only be good.
    What will increase vibration is the large top mount in black.
    I remember having a purple top mount on my T5 and the dash vibration was bad.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Saturday 15th March 2014 at 23:26.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    He's gone for a harder compound bush. Believe it or not the world isn't going to end because of it, get over it
    I was only having a laugh!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    No updates yet.....is that a good thing ?

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    as no one has used them on the road yet theirs no evidence it will have any adverse effect on harshness/ride (as the main ride comfort is determined by the springs & shocks) so can't see it being any unsafer than any other modification on a car. Especially a home done modification as no one knows how different combinations of components will react with each other
    Had my Black series bushes on my car now for 6 months and I can concur, they are harsh. Luckily for me thou, having an R means that when in Comfort mode the ride is still soft but firm! Like that new car feeling when you jump into a new hire car.

Yes the main ride comfort IS determined by the springs/shocks but its the vibration of the tyres on the road hitting all the little imperfections and holes, cats eyes, cracks, changes in types of tarmac/road surface that is going to be transmitted through the wishbones/subframe/chassis via all the black bushes and ultimately felt by the driver and passengers. Now I'm not going to argue with anyone whether or not they don't care about the excess vibration and noise and yes they might well be accustomed to it and James, me ole mate, you may not give a toss about it, however, this thread will be cast in stone for future users to view and ppl on the net and I am saying that noise and vibration is NOT welcome in a car that is used as a daily driver with the missus and kids. What most of us are saying is by fitting Black series bushes at every available bush on the car will have an adverse affect whether James likes it or not.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Saturday 15th March 2014 at 23:11.

Thread Information