Join Today
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    I had my alternator out a couple of weeks ago to replace the regualtor/brush pack. The biggest aggro was the aux belt. Getting it off and on. It was suggested to drain the system down a bit which I do not like doing if I can help it. So the alternative was to remove the radiator fan cowling which was pretty easy and allowed me to move the alt along the front of the radiator after I had loosend the dip stick support. I had twitchy lights while driving which I initially thought it had not cured, but I don't get that any more but I do get low rev pulsey lights at tickover. I am suspecting my battery which has shown the low battery warning a couple of times suggesting it is not holding a chaarge. I have built a battery desulfator and also added some epsom salts in it to try and extend the life of it a bit longer.

Name:  alt 1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  462.2 KB
    Thx

Tek

Emo vilis emo bis

2003 V70 SE, 5244 S2, 2.4 24v, 101,000 miles
    Mods: Yatour MP3 CD Emulator

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ShadeTek For This Useful Post:

JamesT5 (Monday 18th March 2013)

Banned
    Power of a Sports Car, Turning
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Thumbs up So pleased (A really good day!)

I've had a fantastic day on the car (with the exception of those broken wires), and I'm feeling really pleased with myself because after a steep learning curve, I've managed to remove my old Alternator. This is something I really didn't think I'd have a hope with given all the stuff that surrounds it and at this point I'd like to publicly thank anyone who has offered me advice on this, especially ShadeTek for the extra help!

It's amazingly satisfying to learn how to do a job like this and succeed in the process and although alot of you will see this as a 'basic maintenance' or 'everyday' job, for someone like myself with very little mechanical skills and experience it's a real achievement I can tell you. I was so chuffed when I finally got that last bolt out and the Alternator wiggled free!

I found it helpful to remove the ETM which I've also given another clean (might as well whilst it was off), this is a job that took me all day in the Summer last year but for some reason it seemed so much easier this time around - I even remembered some of the socket set sizes I needed even all these months later! Funny how a bigger job in front of you makes the last one look so much easier than it did when you did it (make sense?). The hardest part was finding all the bolts and there were some very illusive I can tell you!

I didn't have to drain any PAS fluid or any coolant and my strategy was to clear away as much space around the unit as possible so I could get access to it. At the moment, the car is in bits and I'm charging the battery up indoors so once the new Alternator arrives I can fit it on to the car, put everything back together and then the car should start straight away. Happy days!

The unit I've ordered is a brand new Alternator and it includes a ready fitted clutch pulley, a wise precaution as I don't have a tool to remove the old one and swap it over. It's also a 160A unit where as the old one is a 140A unit, so at least it'll have some extra juice to it!

My plan is to see if the old one is repairable and if so at what cost. If it's just a case of changing the brushes then I'll do that, get it tested locally to make sure it's fit for use and then sell it as a second hand unit. Failing that I'll add it to my pile of scrap car parts currently stacked up neatly in my bedroom wardrobe.

Anyway, some pictures I took of the job today.......

IMG]http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s562/_JamesT5/P1010811_zpsd7a44a3b.jpg[/IMG]

The offending item......

I'll update you (with pictures if possible) when the new one is installed!

Regards

James

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Oh, forgot to add, the new Alternator including the clutch pulley was £149.34 via fleabay from a company called Quing Ting Auto Parts.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,121 Posts
    replacing with a 160 instead of 140 might gives you a few issues. i would of replaced like for like as lee said earlier. you know how sensitive the phase 2 is. well done on taking the job on though

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by graemewelch View Post
    replacing with a 160 instead of 140 might gives you a few issues. i would of replaced like for like as lee said earlier. you know how sensitive the phase 2 is. well done on taking the job on though
    I did a bit of research on this topic and found that a higher amperage alternator is not a problem (unless of course it was significantly higher). It just means that when for instance the A/C kicks in, the alternator with a higher amperage will keep up with the power demand better than a lower amperage one. The V70 can have a 120A alternator (I found out from looking at second hand units), then there's a 140A which is what my old one is and then finally a 160A unit which is what I've ordered. If there was any issues with a 160A unit then I doubt they'd be allowed to sell them.

I'll let you know how it all goes once it's fitted.

Regards

James

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    Gutted for you mate. Well done on the progress on the car though mate. I know exactly what you mean about the proud feeling when it goes good.

I had the alternator on my p1 t5 refurbished and it lasted over 4 years. Got that feeling the p2's is starting to go, lights really dim when first started and throws dstc light occasionally. Better get saving.
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
    Gutted for you mate. Well done on the progress on the car though mate. I know exactly what you mean about the proud feeling when it goes good.

I had the alternator on my p1 t5 refurbished and it lasted over 4 years. Got that feeling the p2's is starting to go, lights really dim when first started and throws dstc light occasionally. Better get saving.
    Here's the link to the one I brought, still an eye watering £150 but cheaper than the £281 the Main Stealer wanted........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1906665377...84.m1439.l2649

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesT5 For This Useful Post:

jdavis (Thursday 21st March 2013)

Driving Miss Daisy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,943 Posts
    Well done James, looked a bit tricky to get out going by your pictures.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT5 View Post

I didn't have to drain any PAS fluid or any coolant and my strategy was to clear away as much space around the unit as possible so I could get access to it. At the moment, the car is in bits and I'm charging the battery up indoors so once the new Alternator arrives I can fit it on to the car, put everything back together and then the car should start straight away. Happy days!
    VERY, VERY, DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!

If that battery explodes whilst charging or even after charging, anyone in the house when it goes BANG will be deafened and you'll have Sulphuric Acid splashed on every surface within a 5m range of that battery!!

I strongly advise you remove it NOW and put in the garage or outside.

I had a battery explode on me once and trust me, it was not a nice experience. I was showered in acid and my ears were ringing for hours...and i was outside! Luckily i had safety specs on so no acid went in my eyes.

James....seriously, get that battery out your house mate.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for the mention James and well done on repairing your car.

P.S.There is a missing bracket in one of your photos:-

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/...psd7a44a3b.jpg
    Thx

Tek

Emo vilis emo bis

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadeTek View Post
    Thanks for the mention James and well done on repairing your car.

P.S.There is a missing bracket in one of your photos:-

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/...psd7a44a3b.jpg
    Where abouts?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Where abouts?
    The first bracket is missing [ Between your second and third photos.
    Last edited by ShadeTek; Wednesday 20th March 2013 at 22:32.
    Thx

Tek

Emo vilis emo bis

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    VERY, VERY, DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!

If that battery explodes whilst charging or even after charging, anyone in the house when it goes BANG will be deafened and you'll have Sulphuric Acid splashed on every surface within a 5m range of that battery!!

I strongly advise you remove it NOW and put in the garage or outside.

I had a battery explode on me once and trust me, it was not a nice experience. I was showered in acid and my ears were ringing for hours...and i was outside! Luckily i had safety specs on so no acid went in my eyes.

James....seriously, get that battery out your house mate.
    Lee, I appreciate the advice however the battery charger states 'indoor use only'. In addition to that, what is the difference between the battery charging up in the boot of the car as normal and it charging in the house?

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    One thing I won't be doing however, is charging it up overnight. The battery charger will be turned off during this period...

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadeTek View Post
    The first bracket is missing [ Between your second and third photos.
    Are you referring to the thing that goes over the top of the coolant pipe and holds the electrical connector in place? If so I just loosened it, it's sitting on top of the inlet manifold.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V70 Graham View Post
    Well done James, looked a bit tricky to get out going by your pictures.
    It's certainly not easy Graham, but the fact that someone like me who has the car fixing skills of a 5 year old managed to get it off means it's certainly not a job that I'd be paying a garage to do. I do know that if I had to do this again I would find it a hundred times easier as I'll know what I'm doing now and what fits to what. A lot of time was taken up by trying to work out where all the bolts were, how to get the belt off (that was actually quite easy in the end as I'll explain), how everything fits together and what does or does not need to be disconnected.

To get the belt off I used a 12 inch 14mm ring spanner, pushed down on the 14mm bolt head on the middle pulley which then lifts the pulleys and slacks the belt, and then just slipped the belt off a bit at a time. Took me a bout 2 minutes once I'd got the knack of it. Just make sure you draw a diagram or take a photo of the belt and pulleys before you take it off, otherwise you might forget how it went on!

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Lee, I appreciate the advice however the battery charger states 'indoor use only'. In addition to that, what is the difference between the battery charging up in the boot of the car as normal and it charging in the house?
    The fact your charger states 'Indoor use' means exactly that. Indoors. However, common sense would prevail because it means that the charger is not waterproof and shouldn't be used outside in the rain for example.
    However, most people using battery chargers would use them either in a garage or shed, where if the battery exploded no harm would come to persons or pets.

It doesn't mean charge it up in your house. Honestly mate, your taking an enormous risk. Been in the trade long enough to know and i certainly wouldn't do it. I like my sofa as it is not with big holes in it.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    The fact your charger states 'Indoor use' means exactly that. Indoors. However, common sense would prevail because it means that the charger is not waterproof and shouldn't be used outside in the rain for example.
    However, most people using battery chargers would use them either in a garage or shed, where if the battery exploded no harm would come to persons or pets.

It doesn't mean charge it up in your house. Honestly mate, your taking an enormous risk. Been in the trade long enough to know and i certainly wouldn't do it. I like my sofa as it is not with big holes in it.
    The compromise is to put the battery out the window and leave the charger indoors and just run the terminals out through the window to charge the battery.

Banned
    Circle of a Bus.

Thanks

Alternator Inside

I've opened up the old Alternator today and I've taken some photos for those who want to have a look. Personally I think the brushes look totalled and sooted up but I could be wrong...

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Brushes look absolutely fine
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Thread Information