Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

GAHHH! Child seat nightmare!

So I buy Mrs P a nice 855 T5 because it has three proper belts in the back, so we can take the children with us instead of leaving one at home to play with the chip pan.

But the new-born's rear facing seat doesn't &*^&*^* fit because the seat belts are too short!

I've just done a full-on Meldrew in the street, it won't even fit on the front seat (no passenger air bag on our car it seems..??). Ridiculous, this seat has fitted in at least five different cars we've owned from the sensible (Mitsubishi Starion 2.6 Turbo) to the ridiculous (1976 Daimler XJC) via various Saabs.

A quick look on the net and the Britax site has offered NO infant seats that fit the 850 - and according to the handbook Volvo's own contraption needs anchoring to the front seats as well so that's a world of grief that I'm frankly no going to put up with, and nor is Mrs P more to the point!

Not such a clever family car, or has anyone got any bright ideas?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yes - return the seat to the supplier asking for a full refund (you may want to investigate the "not fit for purpose" attack), then ban the rest of your family from the T5 telling Mrs P that only you should have use of the T5 as it's not for girlies!

Good luck!

Seriously, try another seat and see what does fit maybe?

Fun in the twisties!
    We take the "be polite" rule very seriously!

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    It is very odd indeed. Last year I visited my Bro who has 2 young kids. We found no great difficulty taking his 2 child seats out of his aging Sierra Estate and putting them in my 855R. We were then all 5 (inc. my Sister-in-law) able to travel in great comfort, safety and speed. Seat belt length was not an issue. I have to say that the child seats were forward facing.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco
    So I buy Mrs P a nice 855 T5 because it has three proper belts in the back, so we can take the children with us instead of leaving one at home to play with the chip pan.

But the new-born's rear facing seat doesn't &*^&*^* fit because the seat belts are too short!

I've just done a full-on Meldrew in the street, it won't even fit on the front seat (no passenger air bag on our car it seems..??). Ridiculous, this seat has fitted in at least five different cars we've owned from the sensible (Mitsubishi Starion 2.6 Turbo) to the ridiculous (1976 Daimler XJC) via various Saabs.

A quick look on the net and the Britax site has offered NO infant seats that fit the 850 - and according to the handbook Volvo's own contraption needs anchoring to the front seats as well so that's a world of grief that I'm frankly no going to put up with, and nor is Mrs P more to the point!

Not such a clever family car, or has anyone got any bright ideas?

I know how you feel mate, our new car seat is a super tight fit! the seatbelts are too short. I have to pull the seat back and force the belt over the back.
    The only good thing is that when you finally get it on the seat doesnt have any movement whatsoever. But its a right ££££ getting it in.

Mac

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I am selling my Mammas and Pappas rear facing seat at the mo. It fits in our V70, which most others didn't. Let me know if you want it.

Andrew
    This user has no status
    The 850 has always suffered from the shorter seat belt - especially for us more rounded individuals. ;P

Consider a seat belt extender - all official etc cost you no more than 8-12. One was on ebay recently but www.google.co.uk should be able to find you one easily enough.

Andrew.

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Yes they are short but longer seatbelts are available from Volvo.

Andrew
    This user has no status
    Do you have a cost? I'd imagine £150 inc fitting or thereabouts per belt?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Paco - absolutely agree. I did the same as you. I assumed that the good family car would accept both the Mamas and Pappas seat and the other cheaper one - but no no no.

I went further than throwing a Meldrew - I was fuming.

However, with a bit of jiggerypokery and persistence the child seats do actually fit. You need to find a 'knack'. It is a _really_ tight squeeze but I've got it down to about 10 seconds now - although I thought I'd never get the bloody thing in the car.

I did some reading around and the seatbelt has been a common complaint - just too flaming short. I think some Americans petitioned and got free seat belt replacements - no such chance in rip-off Britain I'm afraid.

But stick with it - it does work eventually.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbrick
    Yes they are short but longer seatbelts are available from Volvo.

Redbrick...whats the story with this , have you seen or got one....I was thinking of trying to adapt a belt from another car that is longer but not sure of the work involved...I have contacted my local Volvo dealer and asked but they none the wiser ( infact not wise at all!!)

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    I saw it posted on the VOC forum a few years ago as your not the first to encounter this problem.

The solution posted was longer belts from the Stealership and yes I bet they're stupid money.

If it helps I'm sure my replacement S/V70 front seat belt is longer than my old 850 belt.

Anyone out there with 'the software we are not allowed to mention' that could shed any light on this?

If it helps my Britax Rennaisance (sp?) car seat is fantastic and fits perfectly, you strap it in and then torque it up so its rock solid. Our Mothercare own brand new born seat also fitted with a real squeeze.

Do Mothercare still provide the service where they will fit the seats before you buy? That might be worth trying.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The only car I found child seats fitted into no problem was the 480. The 440 was a bit tight, and the S70 just about manages it too, but it is close. Suprising for a family conscious manufacturer.
    V40 T4

Apart from my dignity and self respect, I have nothing to lose

OTBC

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks

Child seats

Perhaps this topic could be pinned and people could state the make and model of seat that will fit in either rear or forward facing and the model of car they fit in, might save someone some time and money.

I myself bought my kids reccaro seats which fit in the back and front of my T5R very well.

Regards

Iain

This user has no status
    Thanks
    There are two lengths for the 850 front seat belts. One is 2150mm and the other 2250mm. The longer one is on the front seat belts for 1997 onwards as the door pillars are modified.

There are no differences in lengths for the rear belts on the 850, including the middle one.
    Stock manual 854 T5 in Red ... at the moment!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    me too! ,i too bought an 855 thinking big safe etc for my newborn son!i bought an m and p rear facing seat(prima vagio,i think)i could get it in ,just!front and rear,it was tight though,now my boy is old enough he has a britax rennaisanse ,which fits a treat,my father in law has a 97' s70 and both seats went in no probs,i can only assume that in the early nineties they didnt have very large people or young children in sweden!!!
    fords my job,volvos my passion

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Only thing I've ever found was an extension, but it said unsuitable for child seats, maybe source a newer one in Salvo or somewhere and DIY fit the belts

Halfrauds will usually let you test the seats in your car, bigger stores tend to have more choice. (some Mothercare stores also do)

Just been reading on another forum people having problems fitting baby seats into the XC's aswell

Maxi Cosi Priori Toddler Car Seat - mean't to fit well but they are a stage 2 car seat.
    Last edited by lil_me; Monday 3rd October 2005 at 21:11.

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    We had this trouble to when giving a friend a lift. Seems it's only newborn rear facing child seats that are affected & not forward facers. absolutly stupid! I must warn people tho, that by fitting it so it only *just* fits, means that it's not in there safe enough as there's no slack left for the seatbelt to do it's job.

No good saying it's super tight, that won't do. It's not how they were designed to work. There has to be a decent ammount of 'run' left in the belt for it to work or 'give' properly in a crash, or poor old baby might well be mashed.

It's the reason why Britax don't list any seats for the 850.

I got round it by buying a BMW.

Cheers,

Gwaredd.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Not Gwaredd - are you just scaring me or is this a fact?

Should I not take out the wee-uns in rear-facing seats in the 850?

When I had a seat checked in my old Passat the child seat fitter said that it needed to be rock solid so that there was no movement in the belt in an accident.

That seems to contradict what you say.

I'm not picking a fight or trying to be clever, I'd just like to know the facts in cae I ever do get into a shunt or worse (none so far in 15 years!).

Thanks.

This user has no status

Thanks

Viaggio fits

Quote Originally Posted by Paco
    the new-born's rear facing seat doesn't &*^&*^* fit because the seat belts are too short! ... has anyone got any bright ideas?
    We wanted a M&P system (Plika/Viaggio?) to swap between wife's Polo and my 850. We were offered a special fitting session by the shop (department store in Windsor). The store people fiddled for a bit then declared that it didn't fit the Volvo. I'm stubborn, and bought it anyway.

Turns out that their fitting experts didn't fit it properly. }:-[

If you put the belt through the correct loop over the hump that stays in the car, it fits fine and snug. You need to tip the whole assembly about 2 inches back to get the top bit over the rim of the seat.

Yes, it's a bit looser in the Polo, but it doesn't feel as secure. More slack to play with, but it's down to technique.

Suspended
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskMan
    Not Gwaredd - are you just scaring me or is this a fact?

Should I not take out the wee-uns in rear-facing seats in the 850?

When I had a seat checked in my old Passat the child seat fitter said that it needed to be rock solid so that there was no movement in the belt in an accident.

That seems to contradict what you say.

I'm not picking a fight or trying to be clever, I'd just like to know the facts in cae I ever do get into a shunt or worse (none so far in 15 years!).

Thanks.
    Well, I went back to Britax to get a new part for our rennaisance front facer recently & one of the main testers came out & fitted our car seat & I was suprised at how easy he did it. I'm usually forcing most of my 15 stone frame on it down into the seat before tightening the belt, but it's simply not needed. Not saying they're ok fitted loose, far from it, they have to be 'snug' but there also has to be some seat belt left to do it's job.

Basically, all I was trying to say was, if it's not listed for the Volvo, it doesn't fit, despite you 'forcing' it to fit. Who would you trust in an accident? Britax or your own judgement?

There are seats out there that will fit the Volvo. We had a graco jobbie that the base stays in the car all the time. Much less strapping involved, so less belt is needed. This system also has the benefits of once it's fitted right the first time, it stays fitted, & the 2nd, the best, you just click the seat in & shut the door. Get the baby ready inside the house, walk out, click him in. Great for winter when the icy chill usually blows up your back whilst struggling to get baby in.

Got two cars? Buy a second base. Only £20 odd.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Gwaredd.

Thread Information