Join Today
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2005 v70r

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks again for all the pointers. Didn't intend to launch a R vs T5 argument there BTW! Well, been to see the car yesterday, taken it out for a test drive and as there was absolutely nothing wrong with it other than a missing plastic cover for the rear tow point, have signed on the dotted line. Picking it up at the weekend!

Well, I say nothing wrong with it. It's on 17" Pegasus rims, not 18" ones and the interior is orange (I think Volvo called it "Gobi" or somesuch, but it's orange.), but it's a V70R with most of the toys on, so what's not to like?

I know not of these thicker IPD front and rear roll bars of which Brother Redbrick speaks. From track experience, stiffer roll bars are a bad idea in the wet. What's the deal with these? Do they adversely affect the car in the wet or do you still have a reasonable road going setup?

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    In standard form a manual R will kill a T5 i have driven every one of the T5 phases and R's
    I totally agree!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    After a long time away from here, I'm back and in need of some advice. I'm going to look at a '05 plate V70R next week, and possibly returning to the Volvo fold.

Can anyone tell me what to look out for? I had an '06 V70R for a couple of years, but as nothing ever went wrong with it, I've no idea if there are any "stock faults" to look out for.

Thanks in advance!
    ....It wouldn't be the Sonic blue one in Liverpool by chance? Currently advertised at £10995??
    Before you go and look at it, give the dealer a call and see what 'packs' she has got. Don't think that one has Comms pack or family pack, but the 7 seat conversion is useless and a whole lot of extra weight. Also, she won't have the Sub Woofer in the boot if it has 7 seats either!!! (Point to note). Personally, i think it's a little overpriced despite its low mileage. I wouldn't pay over 10k for it.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Think he has viewed it already lee, dont think ive seen a sonic blue for under 10, they're by far the best colour in my eyes. I do wish my one had navigation just so i could wire in my ipod, i found the phone in the c70 a waste as it was pre bluetooth so i never used it. One thing i want is the subs i do miss that alot
    Thanks
    Martyn

...here we go again...
    Thanks

Wink Caution - Are you sitting comfortably??

Before i go on i just wanna say, BLOODY WELL DONE ON YOUR NEW PURCHASE!!!!!

I have owned my V70R since January 2010 and yes i have had a few woes but nothing that is fixable. I took a code reader when i went to look at her (with the intention of buying) and even drove her back home with a knackered MAF.

To dispell any myths, as ppl have said, its NOT the angle gear but the seal that is the cause of the angle gear failing. If it doesn't leak and is not wet on the bottom then you will be just fine. Just make sure you get under the car at every opportunity (inc tyre replacement) as garages don't always know what to look for on these cars.

My bevel box was noted as leaking by MRG Volvo at 96k and then it lost awd at 101k. So MRG replaced the Bevel box because the splines were stripped. The lack of oil caused the bevel gears to prematurely wear and therefore a new box was inevitable. The Angle gear was £756 (luckily i never had to foot the bill as it was the previous owner).

These Haldex awds are not like the 'Classic' '99-00' cars with the viscous coupling. Therefore you no longer need to worry about the 2mm tread depth rule on your tyres. ie, the difference between any tyre tread depth must not exceed 2mm and they must be the same depth on the same axle. So relax!!

Headlights can be a little problematic in that the Bi-xenon ECU (behind the light unit) fails. When this happens the light will not work and the only option is a new headlamp complete. They are about £780 each. However, it is not a common fault.

Timing belt change is every 96k. This will include a new water pump (whether its leaking or not).

Shock absorbers. These cost £435 each from the dealer front and rear. They are no different to any other shock absorber (being oil filled and not gas) and therefore wear just like any shock absorber. If anyone tells you they are ok because they aren't leaking - their an idiot!! FACT: just because it isn't leaking doesn't mean its ok. I garantee you will be replacing them at around the 90-100k mark even if they are dry. The front wear more than the rear unless your loading car up heavy all the time. I took my car to HLM in Bromsgrove earlier this year and Hamish replaced ALL 4 shocks with oe Monroe shocks (same as the dealer fit) inc SUM (Suspension module) recalibration for £1147 all in. The dealer wanted over £1700 just for the shocks, let alone to fit.
    What an amazing difference and absolutely no need to waste any money fitting after market shocks. Just make sure when you take your car to the dealer (soon) that you have the latest SUM software installed. This, i garantee you, sorts out all the knocking and banging symptoms that earlier R owners complained about.
    Cost: £300 MAX. Volvo had problems uploading the latest software to my car and it was kept overnight due to time difference (Uk and Sweden) so they could try again the next day, early doors. It finally uploaded on the third attempt hense the high labour charge. Still cheaper than a new SUM!! The software costs about £73.

Steering Temporary or intermitant loss of power steering, including heavy steering at slow speeds. The steering control module. Lives under the drivers footwell lower dash. A PITA to get to but worth it. They are common failures. Mine went last year. Put up with it for about 3 weeks. No P/S on these cars is not fun!

The common things that fail on these cars are:
    MAF sensor £300
    Air Quality sensor £162
    Fuel pressure sensor £328
    Angle gear £756 + fitting (if you don't check your oil seals)
    Rear anti roll bar links (around 100k) £29 each.
    Steering control relay £85

Uncommon failures:
    Bi xenon headlights ECU £780
    Dashboard instrument cluster £1000 (ouch)

One thing to check before ANYONE condems your awd is to check the plug connections on your rear Haldex ecu. They can easily come adrift and will mean your awd will not work. Make sure the rubber boots are fitted correctly on the wiring harness and plugs, else water will get in and shorts out your ecu. Mine were adrift, refitted and secured with small cable ties.

Having had my R for nearly two years and knowing what i know, if i were you i would do the following:

1) 100% check of everything that moves and check ALL seals and driveline.
    2) 4 wheel alignment inc new tyres if needed.
    3) Headlamp alignment - Dealer only (there is a wrong and right way to do it on these cars).
    4) Latest software for ALL modules on the car - Dealer only.
    5) Turn off day runners - Software - dealer only and will save your bulbs! Phillips D2R bulbs are £100 from Volvo!
    6) Replace lower transmission torque bush (the small one) with Poly. They are weak as hell and ALWAYS tear out after small miles. £20 and a 15 minute job with basic tools. Will improve gear changes and slightly increase engine 5 pot warble. Gorgeous!
    7) Have your exhaust manifold bolts retightened - I bet money on them being loose!! Makes a big difference to engine sound
    8) Replace center hub bolts with XC90 type - Torque to 50Nm - They come loose if they are NOT the XC90 Type and will quickly knacker your CV joints. Trust me, i've been there and i know others that have had same problem. CVs are £65 each.
    9) Fit a genuine Volvo Aluminium under belly tray - a bargain at £128! Could save you £1000s if you hit something in the road, inc speed bumps (the ones on bus routes) Also has cooling ducts to direct cold air to the rear of the engine and gearbox.
    10) Stage '0' tune. Search here all all will be revealed. Well worth it and a must before you start spending lots on replacing failed components.
    11) Ask dealer to turn 'ON' your after-blow function on your climate control. It will majorly extend the life of your condensor and Evap unit. £30 max. Can only be turned on by VIDA.

Top Tips

1) Treat and nurish the leather now! Don't wait for it to get worse and crack.
    2) Only use genuine plugs. They come as a pack of five and will last 50k.
    3) Have your codes read. Make a note of them all. You need a code reader that can read ALL the cars ecus, inc ECC, SUM. You will most likely have a few that won't throw the EML unless they are fuel related. Note them and erase the cars DTCs. Then recheck after two weeks or 100 miles. Any new codes logged will relate to faulty components. These will most likely be MAF, AQS.
    4) Remove the U-shaped bracket under the car in the center. It will constantly ground out. Replace with special flat washers and bolts supplied by Volvo. It is an actual mod that Volvo charge 30 minutes for.
    5) Have air con regassed. It will probably be low (if not recently charged). Make sure you use Climate control at least once every week for 30 minutes continuous use. This will ensure seals don't perish and the gas then leaks. (mine is ice cold within about 5 seconds!)

Thats it. Enjoy your new motor and got any Qs, PM me and i will be happy to help.

Last edited by LeeT5; Friday 21st October 2011 at 13:21. Reason: Missing important info

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

fluff110 (Wednesday 19th October 2011),Jamest5r (Thursday 20th October 2011),lance (Thursday 20th October 2011),merc85 (Thursday 20th October 2011),Nick0 (Thursday 27th October 2011),racer (Thursday 20th October 2011),t5_monkey (Wednesday 19th October 2011),volvokid (Friday 21st October 2011)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    Think he has viewed it already lee, dont think ive seen a sonic blue for under 10, they're by far the best colour in my eyes. I do wish my one had navigation just so i could wire in my ipod, i found the phone in the c70 a waste as it was pre bluetooth so i never used it. One thing i want is the subs i do miss that alot
    I have my iphone divert after 5 seconds and it auto connects to the inbuilt phone in the car. Works well fella. Pay as go sim and away you go. Only use the car phone if i have to make a call on the move.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

volvokid (Wednesday 19th October 2011)

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Never realised the R had an 'afterblow' function

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

This user has no status

Thanks
    LeeT5

Thanks for that R update, as a new owner too it has made interesting reading.

Do you know the part number for the aluminium tray?

Thanks
    S60 D5, 2002
    BMW 545i touring

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The orange interior is Atacama.

Gobi is a light "creamish/tan/?" colour

Nordkapp is closer to blue.

The sonic blue in Liverpool is supposed to be a nice car, but too few toys for my liking. Seemed a nice fellow.

There was a black + atacama in Scotland, luckily members on here knew it's history.

I am after a facelift (ideally R but nice T5 would suffice) car but struggling to find "the one".
    Last edited by T5R+; Wednesday 19th October 2011 at 17:43.

GL420CDi - "monster truck with 7 seats" . S60 SE EUIV DIESEL - Commuting .
    Honda CBR1000 aka Fireblade - "mid life crisis"

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
    Never realised the R had an 'afterblow' function
    Ohh yes!!!! They certainly do.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauld View Post
    LeeT5

Thanks for that R update, as a new owner too it has made interesting reading.

Do you know the part number for the aluminium tray?

Thanks
    I will dig it out for you......

Protecting plate - part # 9451784. £128 inc vat.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5R+ View Post

I am after a facelift (ideally R but nice T5 would suffice) car but struggling to find "the one".
    Patience is a virtue. Took me 6 months to get mine. Mine is Black sapphire metallic with atacama interior. Comms pack, family pack, Rti and Sat nav.

Don't be afraid to get one if it has a minor fault. It can always be fixed even if the current owner doesn't want to. At the end of the day it's their loss!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    There was a black + atacama in Scotland, luckily members on here knew it's history.
    GLUP !

Mine's black and of the Scottish persuasion. LeeT5, if this is a wind-up, then that got me hook, line, sinker and copy of the Angling Times. If not, I think I need a PM of someone!

I've printed your 11 point list of "Thngs to do when you get your R home." too, interesting one about the driveshaft bolts, didn't know about that. I'll be changing all of the fluids as a matter of course.

Most of that I can do myself as I'm quite well kitted up from looking after the race cars for several years. Might need some tougher axel stands though....

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Thanks
    Martyn

This user has no status

Thanks
    Where do you get the plate for £128.00?

thanks
    S60 D5, 2002
    BMW 545i touring

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Have you seen this site: www.v70r.com? Its American but full of useful stuff.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to dave stew For This Useful Post:

lance (Thursday 20th October 2011)

I have been unfaithful to
    Volvo twice since joining this
    forum but it's only for more
    than 5 pots nuf said
    Thanks
    This thread has seriously made me think of a V70R next
    2004 V50 T5 SE

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave stew View Post
    Have you seen this site: www.v70r.com? Its American but full of useful stuff.
    Somebody cloned T5D5!
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
    Somebody cloned T5D5!
    Run/owned by the same person maybe?
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    GLUP !

Mine's black and of the Scottish persuasion. ....
    See the posted link in the event that it is the same car? If so, it started life at £12K and they eventually advertised it at £10K but they would not take my £8K offer, even if I "bought blind".

My suspicion is that it could be the same car and wanted to ensure a fellow Volvoer goes into the deal with their eyes open, armed with the facts......after all this is why forums should exist.

GL420CDi - "monster truck with 7 seats" . S60 SE EUIV DIESEL - Commuting .
    Honda CBR1000 aka Fireblade - "mid life crisis"

Thread Information