Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

intermittant starting 850 t5

hi folks

this is probably a common question relating to my research im hoping people can give me some suggestions as to what to check First before i get paranoid and thinkin its the expensive bits that are wrong

my car starts fine first thing everyday, get to work. finish work and it doesnt always start to go home.

i have checked the basics and there is fuel but no spark.

i have read on here there's a grey relay above the radiator which gives problems, i have yet to source one to swap and try but it clicks when you try start it and it doesnt fire. and i checked power to the coil and amp and there is voltage there.

the car has had a recent new crank sensor and im unsure if the previous owner has had this problem.

any suggestions welcome please

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by konlabos View Post
    hi folks

this is probably a common question relating to my research im hoping people can give me some suggestions as to what to check First before i get paranoid and thinkin its the expensive bits that are wrong

my car starts fine first thing everyday, get to work. finish work and it doesnt always start to go home.

i have checked the basics and there is fuel but no spark.

i have read on here there's a grey relay above the radiator which gives problems, i have yet to source one to swap and try but it clicks when you try start it and it doesnt fire. and i checked power to the coil and amp and there is voltage there.

the car has had a recent new crank sensor and im unsure if the previous owner has had this problem.

any suggestions welcome please
    you have seen this thread I take it:
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...ht=start+spark

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 96T5Andy View Post
    you have seen this thread I take it:
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...ht=start+spark
    Just re-read your post and the old one, if your relay is clicking and is making is switching it would appear to be caused by a different problem to the one I had (though I had similar symptoms). Still probably worth reading over the old threads.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    is it throwing any codes, even if the light isn't on there still might be a code stored

my feeling is the camshaft sensor, i've had 2 go

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 96T5Andy View Post
    Just re-read your post and the old one, if your relay is clicking and is making is switching it would appear to be caused by a different problem to the one I had (though I had similar symptoms). Still probably worth reading over the old threads.
    aye i seen your thread yesterday and had thought it was that relay playing up but it seems to be working fine. what was it that you think cured your problem? ecu?

thanks

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    is it throwing any codes, even if the light isn't on there still might be a code stored

my feeling is the camshaft sensor, i've had 2 go
    is there a resistance i can check for the sensor? because of it being intermittant would u recon it could be a sensor? i dont want to end up checkin each individual wire for a break or poor current flow

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Ive got a spare grey relay if you want to try it first?

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

This user has no status

Thanks
    im going to hunt the local scrappys monday morning as im lucky to have a week off work. ill be taking a coil and amp and almost all the relays i can think can cause a fault. is there a relay for the ignition to power anythin that can cause a fault? i dont have a owners handbook so im struggling to know where all the relays are and what they are for, sum have them writen on them which is a bonus!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by konlabos View Post
    im going to hunt the local scrappys monday morning as im lucky to have a week off work. ill be taking a coil and amp and almost all the relays i can think can cause a fault. is there a relay for the ignition to power anythin that can cause a fault? i dont have a owners handbook so im struggling to know where all the relays are and what they are for, sum have them writen on them which is a bonus!
    Owners Manual / Technical documents links below. They may help.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/850manual.shtml
    http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/volvo_wo...techdocs.shtml

Also, you have a PM

Thread Information