Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    No need to apologies, yes you did, looked like a shed, but went very well
    yeah he got a 13.7

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    Ed's is an 855 estate (bergundy with canistos)and is a hell of lot quicker than my s70r auto. lol
    Best time for me was a 15.3@93mph which is 2 tenths slower than what i ran last year on that really hot day. Although i thought i'd be struggling to get under 16 today. At least it confirms what i knew, that its running slower these past couple of months.
    One race i was up against a vectra vxr and was neck and neck half way up the track, then he just pulled away from me and he crossed the line 10mph faster.

Obviously its slow off the line, being an auto, and from about 3k to 4-4.5k its ok then it just feels like the boost disappears. Chug, chug, chug.
    don'y want to burst your bubble at nearly keeping up with a vectra vxr but it was a lookalike it was the 2.0 turbo lol

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leighkaicraigmia View Post
    don'y want to burst your bubble at nearly keeping up with a vectra vxr but it was a lookalike it was the 2.0 turbo lol
    There were 3 there today, a 3.2v6, a 2.0t (which also had bsr badges on) and the vxr.
    I assuming it was a vxr as (apart from the badges, which could just have been stuck on) it had bigger brakes than the 2.0t and it didn't have the bsr badges on it and it had different exhausts on the back, which i got to have a good look at as it went past me! lol
    Last edited by LiamT4; Sunday 3rd April 2011 at 20:21.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    There were 3 there today, a 3.2v6, a 2.0t (which also had bsr badges on) and the vxr.
    I assuming it was a vxr as (apart from the badges, which could just have been stuck on) it had bigger brakes than the 2.0t and it didn't have the bsr badges on it and it had different exhausts on the back, which i got to have a good look at as it went past me! lol
    it was a black one with vxr wheels and kit on and said 2.0 turbo on the back on the right

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    There were 2 black vectras there today.
    I'm pretty sure the one i raced had vxr badges on it.
    If it was a 2.0t then all credit to him, he was doing 103.29mph over the line, which is a bloody good terminal speed.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    There were 2 black vectras there today.
    I'm pretty sure the one i raced had vxr badges on it.
    If it was a 2.0t then all credit to him, he was doing 103.29mph over the line, which is a bloody good terminal speed.
    yeah agreed the terminal for a standard 2.8 vxr is 100mph 14.4

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    yeah agreed the terminal for a standard 2.8 vxr is 100mph 14.4
    It sounded very nice as well. To get a 103 terminal i'd have thought he would be pushing close to 300bhp.

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    It was pretty empty at the start of the day. I think i managed 2 runs within 5 minutes of each other. Did 5 runs in total and my best was 14.519@101mph. Not bad for an auto

It was good to meet and chat with Colin and also Louise, as well as the usual crowd. The quickest cars weren't out today, but all good fun none the less. I was glad to see Frank's pull up was nothing serious and also that remap still pulling strong (its not been used for a while).

Dave, it looks like you need more boost lower down. From what i have seen, off the shelf maps tend to start bringing in the boost from about 2.5k with full boost coming in at 3.6k. Maybe rip kit will help with spool up also. I think everyone agrees that your car should be pulling low 14s easy.

Liam, hmmm frustrating isn't it, I've been there and it was only recently that i've started getting quicker. Don't worry, i'm sure the times will come tumbling down soon, even if it means a different car. Drop me a pm if you need any advice.

Loving the supercharger whine on Claymore's car hmmmm. Smithy, James, get your fingers out!

Ed
    Your getting good times for an auto and breaking that 100mph terminal barrier as well.
    Whatever i do i'll have to get the power issue sorted, which means getting a boost gauge and mbc, from then on i don't really now what i'd like.
    I'd like to take it further, its just that (and i really like autos, especially as an every day car) they just aint as much fun on the strip, you just put your foot down and the car does it all for you.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Your getting good times for an auto and breaking that 100mph terminal barrier as well.
    Whatever i do i'll have to get the power issue sorted, which means getting a boost gauge and mbc, from then on i don't really now what i'd like.
    I'd like to take it further, its just that (and i really like autos, especially as an every day car) they just aint as much fun on the strip, you just put your foot down and the car does it all for you.
    i'd have to say that it was quite boring in an auto compared to a manual it takes all the fun and skill out of running

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    i'd have to say that it was quite boring in an auto compared to a manual it takes all the fun and skill out of running
    You just take your foot off the brake and put it on the throttle and thats it, your just a spectator for virtually all of the 1/4mile.
    So even if i had a 19t and vxr injectors and the rest and were pushing a true 300bhp, it would be a fast car yes , but would it be any more fun on the 1/4mile?

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    You just take your foot off the brake and put it on the throttle and thats it, your just a spectator for virtually all of the 1/4mile.
    So even if i had a 19t and vxr injectors and the rest and were pushing a true 300bhp, it would be a fast car yes , but would it be any more fun on the 1/4mile?
    dont you have your left foot on the brake then?

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    dont you have your left foot on the brake then?
    Yeah you have to really, otherwise as soon as your foot is off the brake the car moves slightly and the timing begins. You need to get your foot on the accelerator as quick as you can when your coming off the brakes.
    Thats the only bit where the driver can make the difference, the rest is all the car.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Yeah you have to really, otherwise as soon as your foot is off the brake the car moves slightly and the timing begins. You need to get your foot on the accelerator as quick as you can when your coming off the brakes.
    Thats the only bit where the driver can make the difference, the rest is all the car.
    on one of the runs i did i revved to about 3000rpm with my right foot whilst my left foot was on the brake and all it did was spin the wheels when i let my foot off the brake, i got a 16.5 on that run lol

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    on one of the runs i did i revved to about 3000rpm with my right foot whilst my left foot was on the brake and all it did was spin the wheels when i let my foot off the brake, i got a 16.5 on that run lol
    I'v done that twice now (although never 3000rpm, only 2000rpm) some call it power starting and it will f*** the gearbox quickly! lol (just ask jelt5)

My best times last year all came from normal starts, so i just poot my left foot on the brake and just kind of rest my right foot on the accelerator, so i can get my foot down as quick as possible

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    thats exactly the way Wobbly & Jerry fried there auto boxes

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    definitely be careful when "power braking". Sure heats up your ATF like nothing else.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    wont be using that car to race anymore anyway it was only a stand in

This user has no status
    Long Marston Airfield, Stratford - upon - Avon
    Thanks
    So who won what. Who was the quickest and fastest of the weekend then. Did you enjoy the day. All valuable feedback welcome please.

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    So who won what. Who was the quickest and fastest of the weekend then. Did you enjoy the day. All valuable feedback welcome please.
    quickest was ed at 14.5 but fastest terminal was dave with 103 mph

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    I was very surprised at how quiet it was in general, wish i had my car ready as you could race with only a few minutes wait, however the weather got the better of us again.

I think our big meet at Avon is going to be 12th June this year with hopefully a good turn out.

Cheers

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

Thread Information