Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    had been running the R on 95 ron fuel although at BP.... but as Lambda light has come on, plus running a bit rough i tried BP optimax and gotta say runs better, performs better and dont drink as much...so does make a difference as i have been watching it closely....Today tho i am trying Tesco Momentum 99 and agin the car likes it ( was looking on a independant survey site for fuels and they highly rate Tescos 99 range) also not bad at £1.36 per litre about 3p higher than there 95....
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RobTSmith View Post
    but your comparing standard supermarket fuel to petrol with a higher ron content? What about tesco's 99 ron? At the end of the day a standard T5 will run fine on normal 95 ron petrol.
    Got to be honest my R does nt and as i said above has made a difference in its running, idles smoother now, have a look at the independant fuel guides as they give you a realistic view on the differences....
    but then again each to there own...
    V70R FWD 97 Auto Black, Strut Brace, Polybush top mount,RipSpeed Inverted Cone Filter, Silicone Vac Hoses

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Once I rica'd mine they only liked super, but with no map they ran fine on standard, ah well

This user has no status
    Thanks
    my 94 t5 dosent like sainsbury petrol makes it cut out and the power just vanishes

This user has no status
    Thanks
    to be honest i have only treid it recently on the R cause of its running but the T5 i used 95 and was ok but never treid it on 99 so could nt say if it would have been better...
    never really thought about it before....
    But apparently this Tesco momentum is meant to be the puppys nuts..so we will wait and see...re set the computer to see if it does up the MPG....car certainly seems a bit more responsive...well the Audi quattro it left standing at the lights would have liked to have kept up with her ...lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    I have replaced my ETM once in the four years of ownership (having bought it at 53K & done 100K miles in it).

I'd say that is no worse than any other issue in Volvoland, TBH.

Car is showing 151K - still runs 305 bhp & pulls like it's life depended on it.

You'd be welcome to find out. Track day on the 25th - or pop over to Telford. You're not far away.
    Very interesting - have you done any works to the engine? Had the head off or anything? My hearse has 162k up all standard, no real probs

Old Fart
    Weston on the Mud Somerset or in it if you get the tide wrong.
    Thanks
    I had the ETM on our V70 P2 T5 (Christine) replaced three times by a Volvo main dealer, twice they put reconed Magnetti Marellis in and they failed. The third time they replaced it with a Boch after I refused to have another MM unit. Since then the ETM has work without a problem.

Mind you other things have gone t*ts up, the gearbox being the latest. From what I can gather this is also due to a design fault as well
    “If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Did you know the EU says that you can't claim that drinking water prevents dehydration. So now you know for sure what many of have known for years that the EU is run by a bunch of nutters.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RobTSmith View Post
    Disagree 100%, fuel is fuel.
    100% disagree. I work for Shell & I also know the guy who invented Optimax (predecessor to V-Power), & it isn't all the same.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave stew View Post
    Very interesting - have you done any works to the engine? Had the head off or anything? My hearse has 162k up all standard, no real probs
    Other than the ETM - nothing majorly has been altered with the engine.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kee1173 View Post
    But apparently this Tesco momentum is meant to be the puppys nuts..so we will wait and see...re set the computer to see if it does up the MPG....
    In theory it won't give the same mpg as Vpower - Tesco 99 ron petrol uses ethanol to acheive it's octane rating. An engine needs more ethanol than conventional petrol to achieve a given lambda value. I haven't used Tesco 99 to offer any experience though.

I filled up with BP Ultimate 97 this week as Vpower wasn't available and won't be doing the same thing again soon - just felt dull in the midrange. Tim and I datalogged the ignition advance and will repeat once there's Vpower in the tank.
    2005 (163) V70 D5 SE Premium Pack 130k. 10" sub/Fli amp with Grom audio kit. Shark stage 1 with EGR delete and 320mm discs. Enjoying the comfort and (relative) economy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jardon For This Useful Post:

kee1173 (Sunday 20th March 2011)

5 pot heart of a Volvo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jardon View Post
    In theory it won't give the same mpg as Vpower - Tesco 99 ron petrol uses ethanol to acheive it's octane rating. An engine needs more ethanol than conventional petrol to achieve a given lambda value. I haven't used Tesco 99 to offer any experience though.

I filled up with BP Ultimate 97 this week as Vpower wasn't available and won't be doing the same thing again soon - just felt dull in the midrange. Tim and I datalogged the ignition advance and will repeat once there's Vpower in the tank.
    i filled up with tesco momentum for my last trip to santa pod and the car was stuttering a little on full boost in 3rd i have since used v power and it runs sweet as a nut at 18psi

straight5
    This user has no status
    Interestingly I have run my car on bog standard 95 ron from Tesco for most of the time, but the problems may have started since I tried a tank of Tesco's 99 ron fuel. I wonder if that could have initiated the problems.

Well we will see once I get my car emptied and refilled with some vpower or optimax. The proof will be in the eating.
    Last edited by straight5; Monday 21st March 2011 at 09:28.

straight5
    This user has no status
    Filled my empty car up with BP Ultimate (97 RON) and saw a simply incredible difference. Literally pulled off the fore court with the problem completely gone and what felt like a lot more power than I had felt in a long time. It was only on recovering that missing power in one go that I could appreciate just how much I had lost. Probably had been losing power gradually over a period of time so it hadn't been completely obvious. Performance over the last 200 miles has been smooth and engine feels like it has gained 50bhp. Fuel consumption isn't any better, and with the amount it guzzles its going to be hard to win the missus over to the idea of paying another 5-6p per litre for premium all the time. Especially when we regularly get 5p off per litre vouchers with Tesco. My pal says he does premium fuel from BP/Shell etc once per every 4 or 5 fillups with the rest supermarket. Is that a good idea?

Thread Information