Join Today
    850 T5-R newbie
    Thanks

Lightbulb BSR Sport Exhaust?

Looking at replacing my exhaust with a BSR one.

Currently got a Stage 1 PPC Software upgrade.

Is it worth upgrading? Or just replacing with stand exhast.

Reason is, my current exhaust is beginning to make noises. Think it needs replacing soon.

T5 Monkey... what do you think?

How much roughly am I looking at for the BSR exhaust plus fitting?
    Volvo 850 T5-R (Gul Yellow) 1994
    Manual - Saloon

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j@mie View Post

Reason is, my current exhaust is beginning to make noises. Think it needs replacing soon.

Hi,

The BSR Exhaust (AKA Jetex) is very a very nice exhaust on the all the Volvos and it's not too noisey like some of the other Swedish offerings. We deal we supply these exhausts as Jetex and in the last 8 years have have zero issues with fit and quality. Oh yeah and the prices are nice too.

Regards,
    Hamish.
    www.hlmtuning.co.uk

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j@mie View Post

BSR Exhaust is nice but a bit quiet, I've had it about 2 years now... I got the middlebox welded out which helped a lot, you may find it too quiet standard to be honest. Basically you get a deeper burble on tickover and low revs, and a bit more rumble when you rev it.

Personally, if you want more noise... remove your bonnet insulation like I did! Also, the Forge BOV and K&N air intake will give you a lot more worthwhile and exciting engine noises than a stock BSR/Jetex.

The Jetex one is the same as BSR, and you'll save money. You don't really need stage 2 on the tuning AFAIK although Hamish is better to consult with that one.

the FMIC is a much bigger upgrade, you may want to consider that first before you go for a stainless exhaust if you're wanting actual performance gain. the FMIC made the biggest difference to the performance of anything pretty much, SO much smoother and better pull through the rev range, if you're going to go daft, I'd put that at the top of your list.

I've just put Bilstein B8 dampers on mine, and wow what a difference - not written a proper review yet, but they really make the car way better to drive, you may find that a set would cost about the same as the exhaust, but probably improve your driving experience a lot more - as would the IPD ARB and some 16 or 17" lightweight wheels.

Custom Stainless steel is another option, and probably cheaper than the pre-made exhaust.

Aside from the noise, you won't get much extra power (5bhp if you're very lucky) from a cat back exhaust, that said... They are serious Cannons and give you some proper on road presence.

When I get ******s in Audi TT's and Beemers up my chuff, sometimes dropping it down into 3rd and blasting it just for a second makes them drop back because of the noise. Baz from VOC has been on a run with me and he says it's very audible even when you're sitting 100m down the road in another car.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNeyJR2XbiA[/ame]

http://s795.photobucket.com/albums/y...t=12092010.mp4

Here's some clips of mine - turn up your speakers, its LOUD when you stand behind it! The girlfriend says she can hear me coming from the end of the street (and I keep the revs down so I don't disturb her neighbors.)

My pick for you would be cheap stuff first:

- IPD Rear Roll Bar (£200)
    - Braided Brake Lines (£60)
    - Strut Brace (£100)
    - Forge BOV (£110) < this gave me 2psi boost extra in the midrange due to leakage @ 15psi with the stock item.

then... FMIC, Cat-back and 3" downpipe at the same time, to take you to stage 3, Bilstein B8's for killer handing, and perhaps an odd polybush on your lower inside wishbone mounts and you have a kick ass S40

Last edited by t5_monkey; Thursday 23rd December 2010 at 01:32.

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors
    Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

850 T5-R newbie
    Thanks
    So the Jetex is the exact same exhaust as the BSR????
    Volvo 850 T5-R (Gul Yellow) 1994
    Manual - Saloon

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    As far as I am aware... it's substantially the same product - aside from BSR stamped on the BSR item (and being more expensive)

BSR stage 3, BSR Stainless Exhaust, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, Bilstein B8 Dampers, Fully Polybushed, CC3 all round, CF Wingmirrors

This user has no status
    Thanks

You Just Keep Giving Me Them....

First it was "£50 for 10" down Glasgow docks" about the TV's, now it's

"The girlfriend says she can hear me coming from the end of the street".... LOL

Gonna get a boot sticker of some sort made up for the next Scottish meet I think.....!!!!
    Back in Black (T4)

Demented Tonka Toy
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gmain1967 View Post
    First it was "£50 for 10" down Glasgow docks" about the TV's, now it's

"The girlfriend says she can hear me coming from the end of the street".... LOL

Gonna get a boot sticker of some sort made up for the next Scottish meet I think.....!!!!
    LOL... you gonna do a compilation of 'Monkey'isms' are you ?

Thread Information