Join Today
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    have you actually tried any of this? because as i said i have & the standard system is easily improved, & as said my best 1/4mile time was with an open cone
    My best 1/4 in the V70 was run with no filter/ airbox at all!

On the same day with BSR optiflow filter I did about 8-10 runs all around the 14.7/14.8 mark (mainly the latter)
    With no filter a 14.63...wtf?!

This was in an auto so can't say my shifting miraculously improved and also, the weather didn't turn cooler etc. It was around 28C- so pretty damned hot and not the best ambient temps for a turbo'd car.

I'd be happy to hear any theories as to why the performance of a £120+ filter set up didn't do so well compared to running no filter at all on the drag strip. Cone filters IMO just sound better lol
    Sorry Ped, I've yet to be convinced that any performance gains can be had other than on a very highly modded car.

Cut a hole in the bonnet and feed cold air straight in- best and cheapest solution by using a mini grinder!

Think we had this discussion before I got involved with three pedals mate lol

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JelT5 For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Friday 28th May 2010)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JelT5 View Post
    My best 1/4 in the V70 was run with no filter/ airbox at all!

On the same day with BSR optiflow filter I did about 8-10 runs all around the 14.7/14.8 mark (mainly the latter)
    With no filter a 14.63...wtf?!

This was in an auto so can't say my shifting miraculously improved and also, the weather didn't turn cooler etc. It was around 28C- so pretty damned hot and not the best ambient temps for a turbo'd car.

I'd be happy to hear any theories as to why the performance of a £120+ filter set up didn't do so well compared to running no filter at all on the drag strip. Cone filters IMO just sound better lol
    even the best/most expensive filter is going to be a restriction as it has to block particles to do its job

sorry Ped, I've yet to be convinced that any performance gains can be had other than on a very highly modded car.
    if its going to help on a modified car its going to help on a standard car, yes it may not be as noticable but it will be an improvement

Cut a hole in the bonnet and feed cold air straight in- best and cheapest solution by using a mini grinder!

just wait & see mate lol

Think we had this discussion before I got involved with three pedals mate lol
    probably, but i've been to sleep since then lol

4. The Following User Says Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

JelT5 (Friday 28th May 2010)

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    No matter how good the filter (be it panel/cone/enclosed) its always going to have some restriction as it has to go through a filter. Having no filter/airbox is going to be the least restrictive but also has the possibilty of something getting through and damaging something.
    Last edited by LiamT4; Friday 28th May 2010 at 21:06.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The air intake pipe is a bit like the hose pipe argument.

The hose can be smaller, but that will increase the resistance through pressure.

The hose can be bigger, but the required pressure loss may reduce the flow.

Think of what happens when too much pressure goes out a hose pipe, versus too little through the same hose.

The turbo intake may only be 2.25" but the pressure/vacum produced is channeled trough that size of intake to improve the efficiency.

I don't doubt that Volvo would have made the system "inneficcient" however, there are always "lowest bidder" parts in every machine.

The fact that the hose onto the turbo is plastic has never given me huge confidence. The turbo gets very hot & I don't know of many plastics that don't either rot, go brittle or worse still, melt! I doubt that the hose will, but it probably will go brittle in time.

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Donkeyt5 had a 4" inlet in the front bumper and a 4" hose all the way through to the airbox not sure what he gained in the end though

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Dunno about that when it's only 3" on the Maf. I'd rather uprate the wole air intake back to the turbo. But that may be tricky.

I'm not sure about increasing the size of the Maf housing either.

Elevate (previously known as Evolve) do bonnet vents for the 60/70/80 series. (not a scoop, just a vent for the shoulder on the bonnet)

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebadger View Post
    Dunno about that when it's only 3" on the Maf. I'd rather uprate the wole air intake back to the turbo. But that may be tricky.
    its not that bad, you can get all the required joints off the shelf in silicone, feed the PCV to a catch tank & you only need an inlet for the BCS then (on 850's anyway)

I'm not sure about increasing the size of the Maf housing either.
    the ecu's on overly happy about it & needs some of its map adaption before it'll run, but does get used to it eventually

Elevate (previously known as Evolve) do bonnet vents for the 60/70/80 series. (not a scoop, just a vent for the shoulder on the bonnet)
    i'm looking at using a 3" NACA vent

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sorry Pedro, I was refering to P2 bonnet vents, didn't mean to leave BT out.

http://www.elevatecars.com/elevate-v...70-hood-grille

I wouldn't reccomend the one on the drivers side unless you have real fears of overheating.

Thread Information