Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Sidelight connector faulty? More blowing bulbs!

Hi all.

I remember reading something on here about people having problems with the front sidelights and blowing bulbs. Ive gone through 2 or 3 sets of front sidelights in the past year and looking at the bulbs now they are black and of course have stopped working. The connectors seem to look slightly burnt (orangy) around the connection but nothing major - would it be better to snip the wires at the connector and replace them with a DIY fix and if so what connection can I use? And will they fit snugly into the housing/casing?

Also, bought a pair of these;

W5W 501 LED sidelight Bulbs
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-9-T10-W5W-...item414d49dd57

Will they cause issues with my sidelight warning message or blowing fuses? I did try them and pop em straight in but one side worked and the other didn't but it doesn't seem to be faulty LEDs. It looks like its the connector or wiring.

Pain in the backside as now the drivers side rear parking lights have also gone out whilst trying these - the rear bulbs are intact and the filament is not blown. Perhaps a fuse has gone? Tried the the usual 'tapping' of the cluster method but nothing.

don't you love Volvo electrics?!
    Last edited by uzyg; Wednesday 24th March 2010 at 12:06. Reason: edit link

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I get through a set of headlight bulbs every few months on my xc90 and now i have drivers door window issues

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If it's eating bulbs that quick, I'd say you have a bad earth or possibly some other bridging issue on the lights.

The LED501's for use in side lights are fine, but they may cause a lack of resistance in the indicator circut causing a quick flash, & yes, the dreaded "position bulb failure" message.

Best advice is to get the multi meter out & check the system, or pass it to volvo if you're flush.

I fitted chromed front & rear indicator bulbs about a year ago. No issues. Never changed the side markers since I got it. May do if I buy the PFV clears tho!

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thebadger For This Useful Post:

uzyg (Wednesday 24th March 2010)

This user has no status

Thanks
    UPDATE:

Right, it seems that the sidelights for both the front and rear drivers side dont want to work. Checked and swapped the bulbs but to no avail so the problem is not the bulb(s).

The passesnger side front and back work fine. I have checked the fuses which are all ok.

The wiring seems to be ok front and back (from what I can see and get to)

Does this still sound like a bad earth problem. If so how would I go about sorting it? DIY or auto-electrician or Volvo Stealer or Volvo Indy?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'd guess you either have water in the plug on the rear lights, or corrosion of the contacts which is earthing it.

Check the rear cluster panels. You will need a flexi 10mm racheting spanner, tops halfs come out on their own.

Check the wires back too, it may be an over tuggy spanners has pulled or frayed something.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Contacts look clean (im looking at the unit that 'unclicks' and pulls out of the rear cluster.)

No rust and condition of bulbs is good. The filaments are in place but still dont work.

Cant see any traces of water or corrosion....but havent taken the cluster apart for a good look.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Ok, well the top & bottom clusters are seperate, but do use some* of the same wires. (namley earth duhh)

Get the top cluster off & have a proper look (both sides too) try to check the wires back to the loom to see if there is any "obvious" damage.

Are the side (501) repeaters working? Did you say they were popping bulbs?

It really sounds like duff connections or a bad earth. (could mean the earth is being made before the bulb, or not at all!)

If you have a multi meter.... use it!

This user has no status

Thanks
    the front (501) sidelights only work on passesnger side and not drivers side (same as rear).

The car has popped bulbs in the past but now the bulbs are fine but just not lighting up - on drivers side

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Deffo going to say it's an earth issue.

Something must be shorting either the front or rear bulb. Or the earth has detached, thus blowing the circut.

Possibly the contacts on the bulb holder for the rear bulb may be at fault, or it may be screwed in wrongly. (they only fit in one way, it may have been swapped with a brake light bulb holder, or a tail light bulb etc. worth a shout!)

Thread Information