Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Tesco99 Octane fuel comes to Plymouth at last!!!

Just had the nod from one of the guys at Greenergy (the company who produce and supply Tesco with their 99 Octane fuel) that since end September 2009 the super unleaded 97 octaine pumps in/around Plymouth have been filled with 99octane, even though they say 97octane, and within 2 weeks they will be properly marked up!!!

At last I won't have to pay overpriced Shell V-Power at £1.11/ltr, which included a 35mile round trip to the closest Shell garage near Plymouth!!! Now I only have to drive 2mile round trip, my car won't know whats hit it having to only pop up the road!!!

Thank you Tesco at last!!!!
    VOLVO 854R (1996 model)

This user has no status

Thanks
    But do they put in a proper additive in like shell do?.
    If Toyota know /find out you use tescos fuel they will not repair your injectors etc underwarranty as i found out this week.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If you look around on the Net you find great reviews of the Tesco99 fuel, gone are the days of supermarket fuel having no additives with their 99 octane. Tesco have been sponsoring motorsport for ages with signs for this fuel aswell so.........

Straight off the Greenergy website:-

"More fuel economy

Higher octane fuel is able to burn at a more optimum temperature and for longer than standard fuels, therefore generating the power required by the driver. As a result less fuel is required to achieve higher levels of power. Lower octane fuel requires the car to work harder, using more fuel to achieve the power demanded by the driver therefore increasing overall fuel consumption.

Tesco 99 octane was independantly tested on fuel economy against standard petrol (95 octane), by Thorney Motorsport. Read the full report on the Thorney Motorsport website.

Cleaner & greener

An enhanced additive package;
    To remove existing deposits and help the engine to run more smoothly, Tesco 99 Octane contains an enhanced additive package with twice the protective power of typical 95 octane fuel.

And cleaner inside;
    Tesco 99 Octane contains low levels of olefinic compounds which can lead to the creation of deposits - typically less than 5%, compared with up to 18% in standard petrols. So it's less likely than standard petrols to create engine deposits in the first place.

With biofuel too;
    Tesco 99 Octane contains bioethanol – a renewable component with 135 octane. So if you are choosing a super fuel, you can still do a little bit for the environment."
    VOLVO 854R (1996 model)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    If Toyota know /find out you use tescos fuel they will not repair your injectors etc underwarranty as i found out this week.
    I think sometimes they will use any excuse to get out of paying for something, if any supermarket heard of this I'm sure they would be greatly dissatisfied with what Toyota are saying about their products so.............. It should never be a problem either, fuel is fuel, the car works so why should you pay for using a supermarket fuel.
    VOLVO 854R (1996 model)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 727 Posts
    I used Tesco 99 stuff once and it put the etm light on. Went back to v power and the light has never come back on.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    It should never be a problem either, fuel is fuel, the car works so why should you pay for using a supermarket fuel.
    Tanker drivers might disagree with you on the additive issue.

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    I tend to stick to what I know and I’m sure Shell UK know more about fuel since they have been developing it for over 100 years compared to my local grocery store who want there finger in almost every market out there lol.
    Thanks
    Martyn

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I use v power but if i cant get to one i will use tesco's.
    But cant beat the little vroom cars shell do at the moment lol.

http://www.terrabear-newfoundlands.co.uk/
    You always come back to what you know !!!
    13.8@ 103mph fastest forum 850 in 2010 Running 286bhp(former owner)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volvokid View Post
    I tend to stick to what I know and I’m sure Shell UK know more about fuel since they have been developing it for over 100 years compared to my local grocery store who want there finger in almost every market out there lol.
    Completely understand but I'm excited because if I even run 97 octane my car struggles with the engine knock sensor so driving is not nice. The nearest Shell to me is a 45minute round trip, have to drive to it especially and notice the needle has come off the top of the gauge by the time I get back home!

But to answer your question the Tesco's stuff is made especially for Tesco by Greenergy (a UK oil company who are actually owned by Tesco) and is designed with reduced environmental impact, so it has the below added, I don't think because it is sold at the supermarket we should expect the usual no additives as that isn't true with the Tesco 99octaine atleast:-

"Cleaner & greener

An enhanced additive package to remove existing deposits and help the engine to run more smoothly, Tesco 99 Octane contains an enhanced additive package with twice the protective power of typical 95 octane fuel."
    VOLVO 854R (1996 model)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Pete For This Useful Post:

volvokid (Friday 23rd October 2009)

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    Completely understand but I'm excited because if I even run 97 octane my car struggles with the engine knock sensor so driving is not nice. The nearest Shell to me is a 45minute round trip, have to drive to it especially and notice the needle has come off the top of the gauge by the time I get back home!

But to answer your question the Tesco's stuff is made especially for Tesco by Greenergy (a UK oil company who are actually owned by Tesco) and is designed with reduced environmental impact, so it has the below added, I don't think because it is sold at the supermarket we should expect the usual no additives as that isn't true with the Tesco 99octaine atleast:-

"Cleaner & greener

An enhanced additive package to remove existing deposits and help the engine to run more smoothly, Tesco 99 Octane contains an enhanced additive package with twice the protective power of typical 95 octane fuel."
    Yeah I wouldn’t of liked a 45 minute trip to fill my car, I do use it a times for the diesel if I’ve been to lazy to sit in traffic in Dyce to get shell or I never filled up in Fraserburgh.
    I've used V-power diesel the last 2 times and what a difference the car is a lot more responsive.
    Thanks
    Martyn

Balder than My Tyres...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 711 Posts
    Local Shell was closed the other day and had to use a couple of gallons of Tesco Super. Well, I wouldn't say it was awful, but I sure did notice the difference when back on the V-Power I always use...
    I felt quite the traitor giving it to the car.
    KISS Rs

850R manual, Rica 310, IKEA fitted bathroom, H&C running water, Jetex 2.5", pipe rack, cap stand, Forge BOV, circular wheels with full 360 degree rotation, 302mm discs, IPD front and rear anti-roll bars, numerous shiny features, sub-atomic particle accelerator, VTOL capability ...Volvo With Attitude!!!
    Also to be seen in a gold Honda CR-V these days...

"It's really fast, and growls like a tiger!"

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatout Phil View Post
    Local Shell was closed the other day and had to use a couple of gallons of Tesco Super. Well, I wouldn't say it was awful, but I sure did notice the difference when back on the V-Power I always use...
    I felt quite the traitor giving it to the car.
    I've only used Tesco 99 once before when passing through Cardiff and can't say I noticed any difference myself performance wise.
    VOLVO 854R (1996 model)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I reckon its mostly down to personal preference. I use tesco 90% of the time and other than that I try to use BP ultimate. I tend to get shocking milage when I use V power. Dunno why, might be the way I drive but with BP fuel I get much better mileage. Not that I keep too close a check......my foots too heavy to worry about the mileage issue too much

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Tesco 99' is my favorite to be honest. My car seems to run best on that (IMO)...... I doubt there is a huge difference but my least favorite is any sainsburys fuel, don't know why??
    854 T5 Auto.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Just arrived at Tescos on Isle of Wight too.
    That'll save having to call at Shell garage, and spending a fortune on a full tank, before I catch the ferry home. Will also be useful for all the T5 owner/holidaymakers.

Thread Information