Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

clicking noise when putting power down

Hi all,

I take it we are all familiar with the common 'clicking' noise when moving off at a low speed coming from the wheels/driveshaft. Been told this is the splines at the end of each driveshaft rubbing against each other (non techie explanation) and can be fixed with some sort of glue/bonding agent (albeit temporarily).

WELL....after taking my s60 for a spin during lunch and around some twisty and hilly areas I can hear the clicking noise has got louder and its also clicking away when I put my foot down say in 3rd at 2-3k revs (so not at low parking speeds). I can’t make out if its coming from the right or left but its definitely coming from the front. The power is being put down and the car is shifting but I can hear the clicking if I have my windows down.

Should I be worried? The noise is almost identical to the spline noise when parking at low speeds.

Anyone else had this problem?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Never have my windows open at anything other than crawl speeds, and even then not for long. I'm an aircon type of chap you see...

Not sure if you should be worried or not. I heard also that as an alternative to/in addition to loctite on the splines, there are also some bolts from the XC90 which can be used to alleviate the noises. Not sure where I heard this though, so I may have been dreaming.

I can hear a slight click when pulling off slowly with the window down, beyond that, I hear nothing. I'm not worried though.
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm
    2001 V70 T5 SE (RICA 310)
    1997 9000 Aero (Abbotted)

Visit my Rant

This user has no status
    Thanks
    When did the box have its last fluid change?

Could be the gears clicking, which sounds louder if the oil to the box is low or dirty.

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Mine's been done twice in the last year.
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm

Visit my Rant

This user has no status

Thanks
    When did the box have its last fluid change?

Could be the gears clicking, which sounds louder if the oil to the box is low or dirty.
    I take it your referring to gearbox fluid/oil? Its a manual gearbox but havent got a clue when it was last changed. May well look into this.

Also came across this thread (hope its ok to post) as it may be the answer to my problems.... The XC90 bolts just as cornclose said. LINKY

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Glad to see its not just me lost in a sea of slushboxes!!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dave stew For This Useful Post:

cornclose (Thursday 16th July 2009),thebadger (Saturday 18th July 2009)

Old Fart
    Weston on the Mud Somerset or in it if you get the tide wrong.
    Thanks
    When I saw

"clicking noise when putting power down".

My first thought was check your teeth the power could be making them rattle.

Sorry
    “If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson (1778)

Did you know the EU says that you can't claim that drinking water prevents dehydration. So now you know for sure what many of have known for years that the EU is run by a bunch of nutters.

This user has no status

Thanks
    haha good one.

Although I'm used to the power now and it doesnt t=give the same 'thrill' as when I first got it. Isnt it fun moving from a 90bhp turbo diesel engine to a 180bhp petrol!? That may also be my problem as I am so used to driving a diesel, I have to force myself to let the petrol rev and do its thing.

It does still suprise me sometimes...prefer driving it with just me in it as it starts to feel rather heavy when passengers jump in.

Suprisingly grippy in the dry around corners...in the wet is another story (probably my tyres though). Need to get the suspension set up and sorted and perhaps in the near future get it chipped/tuned. Just feels like Im spending endless amounts of money every month. A very bad habbit to fall into as you will always find something that needs uprating/changing/tuning...Argh!

Suspended
    This user has no status

In the Scottish boonies,at the bottom of a pint tumbler..
    Thanks

Question

This clicking buddy,is it on lock or constant under power?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    This clicking buddy,is it on lock or constant under power?
    Its clicking when going in a straight line. Both when moving off from standstill and when putting foot down.

Havent got round to looking at the driveshaft bolts yet. The centre caps wont come off the wheels. Anyone have an idea of how to get these off without removing the wheel itself? I have the 17" multi spoke volvo alloys (cant remember name) and tried removing the caps with a knife but they wont budge...cant get anything to fit and pop it out

Suspended
    This user has no status

In the Scottish boonies,at the bottom of a pint tumbler..
    Thanks

Talking

Seems your probs are two-fold. I would disregard any suggestion that this is a gearbox internal problem. No oil in there as has been suggested would do the bearings first and you would know about it. Could be a worn pot-joint,have seen this before.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Do you mean the Volvo centre caps with the logo on ? Use a sucker off a toy bow and arrow, or something similar that has a sucker on it, like a ladies bath-time-buff-puff thing. My wife has one, works a treat...
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm

Visit my Rant

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cornclose For This Useful Post:

uzyg (Friday 17th July 2009)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Attacking the car with a mesh shower sponge Chris?

I do hope it's not pink...

Check the tyres, my dad got a new car in the last few weeks, but when we went out for a test drive I heard a really obvious clicking at every stop/start.

There was a large bolt/nail in the N/S rear. Needed a whole new tyre as the bolt (it had a hex head, but a point?) had put such a big hole in the tread!

Just my thoughts!

You think I know **** nothing! But let me tell you I know **** all!

This user has no status
    Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by thebadger View Post
    Attacking the car with a mesh shower sponge Chris?

I do hope it's not pink...
    Camomile I think it is.
    Chris
    2010 Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm

Visit my Rant

This user has no status

Thanks
    didnt have any 'sucking' devices, tried henry the hoover...that didnt work so had an einstein moment and used my sat nav/phone car cradle and the fitting of the 'sucker' was a perfect fit for the caps..and they slotted right out!

The driveshaft bolts were on solid though...i was under the impression these came 'loose' and needed replcaing with the xc9 ones...but mine are still on tight.

Thread Information