Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Angry Piston Broke!!! :(

Well yet again it looks like ive got to strip the old girl down.Heading home last night it went onto 4cylinders....& just to add insult to injury she spat most of her oil around the just freshly cleaned engine bay....OH ARSE!
    Been hoping,as you do,that it may be something simple,easy to fix,cheap & a 5min job...but hey who am i kidding lol Inspection this morn reveals that number 4 piston/plug is covered in oil & lucking inside the bore shows the piston ring sticking up through the piston side...not exactly what i wanted to see

So my question is what are the best uprated pistons/rods/billet crank to use for my bottom end & where can i get em?? ta

This user has no status
    Thanks
    absolutely gutted mate! Is it common for these to throw pistons?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The standard Cranks are pretty good. Why not change the engine while you are there for a later whiteblock. I was going to rebuild the one in my car but have rebuilt a S60 T5 one with uprated internals having got it for a good price from another forum member. They are meant to be just a straight swap albeit with slight mods to the front engine mount. Don at Kalmar can do good prices on H section forged rods.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i didnt think it was that common on these but it seems ive managed to defy the odds again. so will a s60r motor fit,thought the looms were dif?

This user has no status

Thanks
    What sort of power are you running to break a piston or is the car basically standard?
    I wouldn't have thought the S60R would fit, thought there would be issues with the ECU too seeing as they are coded to the car are they not?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    You can use the bottom end from a later model car and use the standard B5234T head as I am doing. I am using a B5244T bottom end with Sten Parner rods and standard Mahle pistons. I have ported the top end slightly to remove all the casting marks and imperfections so hopefully that will help. My bottom end came from a S60 T5. I think the latest whiteblock bottom end with 81mm pistons not 83mm is the better one to go for to build for higher power in mind. I'm not sure what car they came in but someone over on Volvo speed will be able to supply the more appropriae information.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well its running....ahem....WAS running 281 at wheels,reverse ic,3 cut valve seats,ported & full skim head,manifolds matched to ports,me7 exhaust manifold,full exhaust system,3"cat,panel filter & a few other bits etc.To be fair it did quite a bit at santa pod last year & does get well used,but its always well serviced/looked after every 3thou & cost is never an issue so it has genuine bits put on it(even though it cost me a fortune).Worst thing is ive just put a new radiator,full timing belt kit with all pullys inc all v-belt pullys,full service.....last week!...bugr!! Sadly im almost tempted to bin her off & buy a S60R or,dare i say it,a RS4 Audi,but it does stand me at a small fortune...spent over 17k in the last 48months getting it how i want it....now this happens it make me wonder where do you draw the line?!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dannt5 View Post
    Well yet again it looks like ive got to strip the old girl down.Heading home last night it went onto 4cylinders....& just to add insult to injury she spat most of her oil around the just freshly cleaned engine bay....OH ARSE!
    Been hoping,as you do,that it may be something simple,easy to fix,cheap & a 5min job...but hey who am i kidding lol Inspection this morn reveals that number 4 piston/plug is covered in oil & lucking inside the bore shows the piston ring sticking up through the piston side...not exactly what i wanted to see

So my question is what are the best uprated pistons/rods/billet crank to use for my bottom end & where can i get em?? ta
    Hi Dann

Thats a shame are you going to strip it ? If you do i would be interested to see what happended

Russ
    LOOK at our project :
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16301
    591 BHP 524 Ftlbs torque so far
    The Most Powerful T5 in the UK

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Im hoping to have the motor out this week end & with a bit of luck have the head off some time next week.It looks like ive found a late c70 motor with a genuine 7k on it so its a hot fav to go in it for the mo while i rebuild the other lump.I will let you no what i find & take some pics.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If using a late C70 motor you will need to use the 850 head because of the different head and cam setup.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    your joking...thought id fell on my feet...couldnt i just fit my cams?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    If its a late C70 it will have variable valve timing IIRC. You are best sourcing a like for like model if you just want to swap it. When do you want an engine by? I will have a 109k standard B5234t for sale when mine is done if you can wait.
    Last edited by Alan M; Tuesday 3rd February 2009 at 17:35.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well ive got a v70 t5 lump out of my project sat here but just thought this 7k engine seemed to good to be passed up,about my luck lately! like i said,im almost tempted to call it a day with it but im undecided,been lucking at s4 audis today but not totaly convinced im doing the right thing

Thread Information