Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

volvo based kit cars?

Ok, so I was looking at building a VTEC mini, but now my latest pipe dream is to build a kit car - I'm doing a bit of research and looking at everything from Lotus 7 styles/locosts, AC cobra replicas to 1930's tourers. All tend to be based on Ford Sierra, BMW 3 series or Jag donors.

Anyone know of kits that use Volvo's as the donor car? I'd be especially interested in anything that uses a 850 T5.

Just fact finding at the mo, but just imagine that T5 grunt in something like this..
    http://www.javelinsportscars.co.uk/i...ed_out_med.jpg

...mmmmmmm!!!!

Bob
    850 T5 saloon

Powerflow Exhaust | Drilled & Grooved disks (rear) | ABS ECU repaired | Alloys refurbed | Strut brace fitted | Poly Top engine bush | Replaced front quarter panel | Replaced Front Passenger Door |PCV system replaced | ITG Panel filter | New radiator fitted | 302mm Drilled & Grooved disks (Front) | EBC Pads | Drop links |VPCUK Sticker

This user has no status
    Thanks

a mate of mine has a old classic mini with a v-tec honda lump in it,
    seriously quick car but does nothin for me cos i cant stand minis lol,
    he also has a moggy minor with a twin turbo 3.9 v8 rover lump in it...
    it won c&cc comp a few years back.....that goes very well too but its a moggy lol..............
    the only kit car worth having is a caterham....better built..
    kit cars are always so crap generally,they take a reasonable car & make it worse but some kits make a crap car even worse lol....
    atleast a caterham is purpose built & is a useable car & even more fun for a track day...
    that javlin is the same as the marlin.........marlin was based on a cortina.....the cortina is much better..a customer at work has one of those,boy is it bad.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    whilst i was at the autosport show last month there was a company doing mini's with motorbike engines in the rear,but they also offered a volvo t5 engined vairiant...think it was 5 or 6 thousand,sadly i cant tel you any more than that.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers for the replies. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'll be straight on to Caterham for a Superlite 500 kit (drool), totally agree that it's one of the top kits out there. I'm also with you when you say VTEC mini's are quick (that was why I was first drawn to them) but there are the practical issues to consider, plus the cost of custom subframes, engine etc...

Like I say, it's just pipe dreaming at the mo. I don't really have the space, money or time to go for it anytime soon, but one day, one day...

ZCars do a chain driven hyabusa or R1 engined mini. VERY quick, but the noise would just be unbearable to live with on a day to day basis. That said, I'm liking the sequential gear shiftyness

I guess its a curse - where else will I find something that has the power, comfort and understated good looks? Owning a T5 has ruined me for other cars! lol!
    Last edited by Diesel64; Thursday 29th January 2009 at 23:04. Reason: bad spelling :)
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

Powerflow Exhaust | Drilled & Grooved disks (rear) | ABS ECU repaired | Alloys refurbed | Strut brace fitted | Poly Top engine bush | Replaced front quarter panel | Replaced Front Passenger Door |PCV system replaced | ITG Panel filter | New radiator fitted | 302mm Drilled & Grooved disks (Front) | EBC Pads | Drop links |VPCUK Sticker

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i think powernut off the site put a rica t5 engine in a old beetle

This user has no status
    Thanks

ZCars do a chain driven hyabusa or R1 engined mini. VERY quick, but the noise would just be unbearable to live with on a day to day basis. That said, I'm liking the sequential gear shiftyness

what about the caterham with the bike engine.....dddaaaaaammmmm quick

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've seen powernuts' T5 beetle on youtube...sweet as! I especially love the single exhaust out the centre....

Motorbike engine in a Caterham? Why not go the whole hog and make it twin R1 engined like a radical? tee hee hee!
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

This user has no status
    Thanks
    i dont think he has been on for a while, i bet he could go on roverheap challange..whoops scrapheap challange by himself and win!!

This user has no status
    Thanks

where i work we used to build caterhams & race them,
    my boss started it all off buildin a caterham with the bike engine then sold the rites to caterham who now sell them ...........
    we still work on them occassionally lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t5 stealth View Post
    where i work we used to build caterhams & race them,
    my boss started it all off buildin a caterham with the bike engine then sold the rites to caterham who now sell them ...........
    we still work on them occassionally lol
    I want your job!!!!

Beats testing filters lol!
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

This user has no status

Thanks

t5 with T19g on a Stratos rep anyone??????

How about puting 850T5 with T19 turbo in the Lancia Stratos rep kit car now that would be class and ...kin' quick as well

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Lancia Stratos.....Mmmmmmmmmmmm
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/Gal72..._s_Gallery.asp

Currently rocking Volvo's finest V70R 2WD Manual

Previous cars:
    1996 855 T5 (Ex Police),1996 854 T5,1996 855 T5,1995 855 Black T-5R,1996 960,1997 855 R

This user has no status
    Thanks
    A mate of mine was (maybe still is?) getting rid of a Lancia Delta he was going to use as a rally car before they changed the rules. Would have had it myself, but I need something thats useable as a daily driver and I don't think my lass would have gone for the lack of carpets and probably would have kept setting the fire extinguisher system off (big red button on the dash) lol...
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

This user has no status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel64 View Post
    and probably would have kept setting the fire extinguisher system off (big red button on the dash) lol...
    pmsl.............we got a genuine integralia that comes to our place ...
    iv taken it out a couple of times as i dont mind the left hand drive lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Im putin one in the back of a pickup,have a look at my profile gallery,may give you some ideas

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yeah have a look at my blog - not a kit car but might as well be

850 T5 in a 1973 Triumph GT6

http://www.triumphgt6.blogspot.com/

This user has no status

Thanks
    ive always had a panging to put a Honda s2000 lump in a truimph gt6

Thread Information