Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Exclamation How To Clean/Recharge K&N Panel Filter

I got my K&N "Recharge" kit through, so thought I'd put a quick 'how to' together for other people as I know some people are nervous around oiling panel filters too much due to potential damage to MAFs etc. This is not intended to replace the instructions or guidance you receive with the kit or form the K&N website, but should hopefully supplement it.

K&N Filter Recharge Kit (p/n: 99-5050):

K&N Filter Recharge Kit consists of:
    1 x K&N Air Filter Cleaner (355ml)
    1 x K&N Air Filter Oil (237 ml)

Other item's you'll need:
    Rubber or latex gloves
    Soft bristle brush (i.e. paint brush)
    Kitchen towel/absorbent cloth

Throughout this post i'll refer to 'Clean Side' and 'Dirty Side' - please see below pictures which will help you differentiate between the two:

Clean Side (Top):

Dirty Side (Bottom):

Step 1: Shake the K&N panel filter gently to dislodge any dirt/dust leaves etc. Then turn the K&N panel filter so that the dirty side is facing up. Raise one side of the panel (so it's on a gradient) and take your soft bristle brush. Gently brush down the pleats from top to bottom, cleaning any smaller bits of dirty and grime.

Step 2: Once all the dirty/debris visible has been swept from the filter pleats. Place the K&N panel in a sink/basin and apply K&N Air Filter Cleaner liberally to both sides (clean side and dirty side). Leave the filter to absorb the cleaner for around 10-15 minutes.

DO NOT ALLOW THE CLEANER TO DRY ON THE FILTER

Step 3: After allowing the air filter cleaning solution to work for 10-15 minutes - Ensure the K&N Panel filter has the clean side facing up (towards you) and rinse (thoroughly) under a cool low pressure washer source i.e. garden hose/gently running cold tap. Again try to hold the filter at an angle so the water runs down each of the pleats and off the end.

Step 4: After rinsing thoroughly place the K&N panel filter somewhere clean and dry (do not try to speed up the process by using a hardryer or any other alternative heating method) - this panel filter must be allowed to dry naturally.

Step 5: Once the K&N Panel filter has tried completely (I left mine for 1 day and it was bone dry). You can apply the K&N Air Filter Oil. Turn the K&N Panel filter so that the dirty side is facing up. Take your K&N Air Filter oil squeeze bottle, and using the nib of the bottle as a guide, gently squeeze the bottle the full length along the crown of each pleat in turn (only do one pass of each pleat!).

Step 6: Leave the panel (dirty side) facing up for 20-25 minutes. Then turn the panel over (clean side) and inspect oil saturation on filter - the aim is to have a solid, even covering of colour (red) - if there are any white spots/specs then turn the filter back over to the dirty side and apply the K&N oil filter to the necessary areas. Allow to saturate for 20-25 minutes and then turn back over to the clean side to inspect (repeat as necessary).

Step 7: Once you have a thin, even application on the filter, Take your kitchen towel or cloth and wipe off any excess around the black seating/sealing rubber. Leave the filter to dry for as long as necessary and then reinstall in your car.

HTH
    Last edited by pangster; Monday 8th December 2008 at 19:35.

1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pangster For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Sunday 4th January 2009),dant5 (Sunday 21st December 2008),wegal (Tuesday 9th December 2008)

OH DEAR
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Hi paul as said before A**************************

This user has no status

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by t5 pete View Post
    Hi paul as said before A**************************
    thanks mate!

1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Nice One Paul,

Cheers, Alan

My Wife Gives Me Sound Advice

99% Sound - 1% Advice

This user has no status
    Thanks

Unhappy

Done mine a few months ago, the crap that came off it was unbelievable! just checked it last week and the lovely re-oiled red filter is as bad as ever, filthy!!!!!!!!! don't seem to stay as clean as when factory oiled! did'nt over do the re oiling either!

Thread Information