Join Today

Thread: Info please

This user has no status

Thanks

Info please

hi guys go a few questions & would like to pick the brains of you Experts.

1/got a new exhaust end off fleabay(cause mine was very rusted & rotten)
    but when i went to put it on the bolt that holds it on snaped.
    whats the best way to get it off without damaging the main exhaust?

2/i read here on a search about the tracs light being on and someone said
    that they changed a "box"in the steering column.i thought that this seemed a
    bit too simple until i started adjusting the steering & the tracs light went out
    for a while then it came back on.
    has anyone got a name or part number for this "box" thingy?

3/on the front bottom of the bumper there is a detachable grill that lets you
    get at something(i dont know what)?
    i`m missing one of these,whats it called?

4/sometimes when i do a full lock right i get a slipping sprocket sound on my
    N/S front wheel.
    what is this?
    steering?wheel bearings?

thanx in advance for your help.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    1- what sort of exhaust is it, standard or not, wheres the bolt??
    2- The tracs light comes on with an ABS light usually and is a a common fault, a sign the ABS controller, in the engine compartment, needs a repair as the joints go dry. On a rare occasion it may be a fault elsewhere. Try this site for ABS repair info.http://www.freewebs.com/dacvolvo/absrepair.htm
    3-??????
    4- CV joint, not sure which one but someone who has had the problem should be along shortly to point out the right thing. It may just be worn control arm bushes which is also a common failure point. These are best replaced with polurethane items.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hiya,

for 1) if it's the 2 bolts for the clamp holding the exhaust nearest the front of the car you can get a new clamp and bolts from a dealer, so just Dremel or angle grind or drill or whatever it takes to get the bolt off then fit a new replacement. If it's a bolt holding the thinish metal tubular 'hangars' of the small suitcase sized silencer box about near the rear seats then again I suspect you can get a new bolt so brute force to remove it then replace. Otherwise we need more info which one is snapped :-)

for 3) is the grill at the left, right or in the middle? On the left I think maybe it covers the towing eyelet. In the middle there's a grill just to protect the bottom of the radiator (or air con radiator if fitted). On my car it also covers an additional cooling radiator for my auto box fluid but this was an optional extra and not fitted on many cars...

HTH, Pete
    '97MY black 855R manual M56H
    Porsche/S60R BBK, 17"x8J Pegasus, RIP, Samco coolant & vac, Koni SSK/Nivo, Simota, 15G angle flange, IPD turbo back & HT, MSD coil, chipped, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

This user has no status

Thanks
    Sorry peepz,not very good at explaining stuff.
    (been a Long time since i was at school,DoH)

first off,i`m talking about the chrome end pipe that the nut broke off.i want
    to get it off without damage to the main exhaust.

second @ alan M,yes thats what i thought it was until after reading here i started messing with the steering adjuster & the light went out.someone here said they replaced
    a little fuse like "box" inside the steering column & it went away.

@dooby,its the one on the nearside,all ive got is a gaping hole.so is it just
    called a grill?

any answers to question 4?

thanx alan M & dooby for the replies

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by plc143 View Post
    first off,i`m talking about the chrome end pipe that the nut broke off.i want
    to get it off without damage to the main exhaust.
    Hmm, when I removed my old exhaust the same happened to me and as I couldn't think of a good way of getting it off I'm afraid I just let it go with the old exhaust :-(

@dooby,its the one on the nearside,all ive got is a gaping hole.so is it just
    called a grill?
    Think so. Is it the one just visible at the far right of the 1st picture here:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=53614

Just a grey grill as far as I know.

Cheers, Pete
    '97MY black 855R manual M56H
    Porsche/S60R BBK, 17"x8J Pegasus, RIP, Samco coolant & vac, Koni SSK/Nivo, Simota, 15G angle flange, IPD turbo back & HT, MSD coil, chipped, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dooby For This Useful Post:

plc143 (Saturday 30th August 2008)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Can you give a bit more of a desriptive reply on the knocking sound you hear. Where do you hear it, turning right, going round roundabouts, over bumps? Can you feel it through the steering wheel? It may be worn top mounts, worn control arm bushes, worn drop links or worn track rod ends. You can give most a check over by yourself without resorting to paying someone else.

This user has no status

Thanks
    @ dooby,my exhaust is rusted to hell so looks like i`ll have to buy a complete system &
    yes your right it is the "grill" on the right hand side.
    thanx for that.
    @Alan M,i only get the sound on very slow (5-10mph)corners,mainly right lock,the sound
    is like a motorcyle chain jumping its sprocket.dont feel nothing through the steering,took
    it down the Mway last weekend & was rock solid @ 80mph.
    thanx for your help guys.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Sounds like you could have one of the Drop links or track rod ends dying. Take off the wheel and check the link between the strut and hub/lower arm and the steering end link attached to the hub/lower arm. If there is any movement in the balls at the ends of each link after a vigorous shake, pull wiggle whatever you can muster they will need changing. They should be firm and tight and only twist on there own joint not slop about it. You can look at the lower arm bushes while you are there, try lifting the rear of the arm up and down with a bar or similar and seeing if the rubberin their housings, move about without restriction. They shouldn't, they should still be attached to their steel sleeve. The top mounts are a little harder. With the car still up in the air try moving the strut back and forth to see if there is any lateral movement, there shouldn't be. It should only twist as the upper mount is a bearing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan M For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Dunno about the other issues you have, tho I have the same issue with the clinking sound at slow speeds, so was going to do the drop link when I get a chance (PCV system is priority for me at the mo, but that's a different story).

As far as the snapped bolt goes, if you've got any thread left sticking out,, you could try an Irwin bolt grip nut like these:

http://www.mtmc.co.uk/popuplargeimag...%20Piece%20Set

Hope it's of use.
    Bob
    850 T5 saloon

Powerflow Exhaust | Drilled & Grooved disks (rear) | ABS ECU repaired | Alloys refurbed | Strut brace fitted | Poly Top engine bush | Replaced front quarter panel | Replaced Front Passenger Door |PCV system replaced | ITG Panel filter | New radiator fitted | 302mm Drilled & Grooved disks (Front) | EBC Pads | Drop links |VPCUK Sticker

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel64 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanx All.

will give it a good looking at this weekend.

Thread Information