Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Window tints

This user has no status
    Thanks
    As I said earlier, different counties have different rules on maximum tint allowed on the front windows.
    There will need to be a serious amount of beurocracy gone through before things are agreed and that should take a few years, unless they rush something through without thinking about it!

Mine look limo black from outside but I think that is because the car is white. Inside it doesnt seem too tinted

This user has no status
    Thanks
    What about the factory option from Volvo? Can't you just say they came like that? Or put in some pretinted new glass?
    Martin

2 strokes, 10 horse power and 8,000 miles. Read my story.
    Mongol by Minsk 2007: www.mongolbyminsk.com

This user has no status
    Thanks
    http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/publicat...nformation.pdf

Forget what people tell you, this is fact...Trust me, I know.

It is not part of MOT but thats not to say it wont be in the future.
    It is currently enforced nationally by Police and VI who use a light meter (normally a 'Tintman') which generates its own light source and measures the amount of that light source through its own receiver.
    Worst scenario...your car gets prohibited from being driven...your only right of appeal is to have the VI exammine your car (They are strict.. ) which will mean it has to be removed, best scenario you get away with it.
    Its becomming a bit of a thing where I am again because of various reasons I wont go into but take your chance.
    Theres been loads of threads on this but the lonk above is tee law AS IT IS NOW and nothing has replaced that to date.
    Get em tinted if you want, just dont complain if youy get caught by the
    Pat

This user has no status

Thanks
    So, if you ask for a legal tint on the front windows from a tinting company and they are found to be ilegal, then you can demand a refund as they are not complying with the Construction and Use Regulations?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeast
    So, if you ask for a legal tint on the front windows from a tinting company and they are found to be ilegal, then you can demand a refund as they are not complying with the Construction and Use Regulations?
    yes, getting it may be more of a problem though.

Go out to your car and have a look at the etching in the lower corner of your window, it should say on it 'AS2' which means its manufactured to legal limits, (check the top of your windscreen too, normally on the passenger side) there will be a line and AS1, this allows the top part of your screen to be smoked/tinted but below the line it complies with C&U regs, allows for the folding sun visors which should be 'within' the smoked area (if you have a replacement screen this may not be relevant as we had one that was not smoked on the top edge on another car).
    Which then leads on to the Chav in his Nova with a colour coded strip across the top 1/2 of the screen.....guess what...illegal, if it comes below the AS1 line (or if not present the sun visor when fully down)

Im getting boring now,,LOL

This user has no status

Thanks
    'The front side windows must allow at least 70% of light to be
    transmitted through them.'

So as long as the front side windows are not more than 30% tinted you would be ok. I like this idea of gradual tint getting darker towards the back. Does anyone have experience of a good company who does window tinting to a high standard? Quality of finish more important than price
    Rgds

Rick

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rickbee
    'The front side windows must allow at least 70% of light to be
    transmitted through them.'

So as long as the front side windows are not more than 30% tinted you would be ok.
    But remember that the standard windows will have a tint in them already, so if you went for a 30% tint, youd still be illegal.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeast
    But remember that the standard windows will have a tint in them already, so if you went for a 30% tint, youd still be illegal.

hmmmm, so the only way to be sure would be to get someone to test with the right equipment, wonder if the fitting companies offer this service? Would be in their interest
    Rgds

Rick

This user has no status
    Thanks
    When we test them they are done in 3 places, imagine a diagonal line from the mirror extending to the top rear corner...this eliminates the possibility of gradual tints...so the rear, centre and mirror area are checked, mirror area for obvious reasons).
    As I said on a different thread, the glass is made by only a few companies..mainly Pilkingtons...Glass is generally tinted to the legal limit so there is no room for tints legally...you would have to check with the manufacturer to see exactly how far they go. In my experience they dont go under...
    Next time I go to a meet I will 'acqire' a light meter to show someone how it works?? (although you will have to remind me as I forget things nowadays LOL)

Thread Information