Having always used VPower or other 99RON fuel ever since my RICA upgrade, and with forays into 95 RON petrol being met with fluffing and misfires under full boost, I thought I would give the new Shell Fuelsaver a try. Cynicaly I thought it woud be just a marketing mix, with punters unable to prove or disprove their claims of improved economy.

Amazingly I found it smoother than any other non-99 RON fuel, no significant misfire and only a marginal decrease in power from running on VPower. In fact I did not notice the difference until I switched back to VPower today!!. So for 113.9p vs 120.9p per litre I reckon its worth a try.

My belief is that the normal misfire under boost on low RON fuel is due to the ECU retarding the ignition when it detects knock. I may be wrong (any ideas anyone). Therefore it seems that using Fuelsaver may not be putting the engine in the knock zone even under boost so is better for the engine too??

Anyway on a steady run when I am not going to be booting it too hard I shall be happy to stick Feuelsaver in my beasty from here on, but use VPower for the more "enjoyable" trips.

Anyone have any evidence for or against??

Cheers

Woz.