Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

Unhappy valve stem oil seals or wrong oil or what?

my car used to use 1 pint of oil to about 700mls , but after the 60,000 mile service the oil consumption has gone up a fair bit , & to day i noticed a big cloud of smoke after i went down a big steep hill , andthen set off at the bottom .but i have found out that the volvo people are now putting in 5/30 & not 10/40 as before !
    so can anybody in the know , give some advise please.
    simon

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I can't say I've seen anyone running 5W30 in their Volvo's in this country...not on the road at any rate. I'd seriously question whether that oil is correct and if any of the Volvo people on here have seen it recommended or used officially.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    hi simon, as i understand it, valve stem seal leakage would show itself as blue smoke on start up after a long rest, ie over nite.
    wayne.
    96 black 854 T5 cd auto. (running great)
    irrid plugs, FSE fuel press reg, K+N panel,
    MBC @13psi, strut brace, clear side repeaters,
    black grille, de-badged other than T5,
    well hung pilot :-)

This user has no status

Thanks
    hi mate , only after i go down a hill , looks like i will chang the oil for 15/40 !! and fingers crossed !
    simon

This user has no status
    Thanks
    5w/30 was used used in most T5`s when they were new as our dealrship uses 5w/30 0w/40 on the new T5 models and so on but if you have millage i would recomend a 10w/40 with a seal rejuvinater additive.but dont go sticking in a to thick a oil or it will give the hydraulic lifters to much grief and you will get a tappety noise

SIGNATURE COURTESY OF STORM TROLL

This user has no status

Thanks
    yeh , thanks for that , just looking in the unused hand book ! and it recons 15/40 is ok as long as the temp is not below -15 deg ,and as for the seal rejuviinater thats what im thinking of , didn,t forte or some one like that do a good product ? or would recomend anything else?
    regards
    simon

This user has no status
    Thanks

oil

Quote Originally Posted by bigbad
    my car used to use 1 pint of oil to about 700mls , but after the 60,000 mile service the oil consumption has gone up a fair bit , & to day i noticed a big cloud of smoke after i went down a big steep hill , andthen set off at the bottom .but i have found out that the volvo people are now putting in 5/30 & not 10/40 as before !
    so can anybody in the know , give some advise please.
    simon

high might sound a bit daft but is your oil level correct as why just down hill?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Is this "down a hill" as in, "using engine compression to slow the car"?
    Alastair
    Current: 2009 Cayenne GTS and a 2016 Prius IV... yes.
    Previous Volvos: 2009 V50 D5 R-Design, 2005 V70R, 2001 V70 T5, 2001 S40 T4, 2x 1999 S40 T4, 2003 V40 T4, 1999 V70 T5, 1996 854 T5 & 855 T5, 1995 855 T5, and a 480...
    Previous other stuff: Saxo Turbo, 2004 996 C4S, 2008 Z4M, 2001 Yaris T-Sport, 2002 S2000 Mugen, and a 1999 Evo VI

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Al115
    Is this "down a hill" as in, "using engine compression to slow the car"?
    yes , bloody thing ! iv changed the oil and its still doing it !
    simon

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbad
    yeh , thanks for that , just looking in the unused hand book ! and it recons 15/40 is ok as long as the temp is not below -15 deg ,and as for the seal rejuviinater thats what im thinking of , didn,t forte or some one like that do a good product ? or would recomend anything else?
    regards
    simon
    yes forte do or wynn`s do some good stuff cant remember what it is called wynns engine stop leak

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,791 Posts
    Give it a good run, just incase any oil has collected in the turbo/ intercooler pipes..

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat
    Give it a good run, just incase any oil has collected in the turbo/ intercooler pipes..
    lunatic smokes blue ish smoke if i leave him ticking over for about 20 mins or so but i am putting it down to it being stood for over 12 months and it needing a oil change

This user has no status

Thanks
    If its smoking on the over-run id be very inclined to perform a compression check. Going on past experiences the last turbo car i owned that smoked on the overrun had a broken piston ring

Change the oil for some decent 5-40 or 10-40 full synthetic and dont use any oil additives as they are just a waste of money.

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5ER
    lunatic smokes blue ish smoke if i leave him ticking over for about 20 mins or so but i am putting it down to it being stood for over 12 months and it needing a oil change

Mine was stood for a long time, and also smoked its arse off(as you all know from my whining), after having it checked it was found to have a faulty engine temp sensor, leading to over fueling. After changing this and going for a good run its now pretty much cleared up.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeast
    If its smoking on the over-run id be very inclined to perform a compression check. Going on past experiences the last turbo car i owned that smoked on the overrun had a broken piston ring

Change the oil for some decent 5-40 or 10-40 full synthetic and dont use any oil additives as they are just a waste of money.
    whats the thoughts for mine then black beast owing to the fact the last turbo car i owned was a metro turbo and i know b4 any one else does it

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Mine was stood for a long time, and also smoked its arse off(as you all know from my whining), after having it checked it was found to have a faulty engine temp sensor, leading to over fueling. After changing this and going for a good run its now pretty much cleared up.
    i thought it might be slightly perished valve stem seals or turbo seals

This user has no status

Thanks
    whats the thoughts for mine then black beast owing to the fact the last turbo car i owned was a metro turbo and i know b4 any one else does it
    Not sure what your asking so i shall say this about the metro, instead of sitting in one you sort of sit ontop of it if that makes any sence.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeast
    Not sure what your asking so i shall say this about the metro, instead of sitting in one you sort of sit ontop of it if that makes any sence.
    mate it does but it was cheap at the time and it was the only car untill now that i have ever owned that had a turbo

Trader
    No Longer a trader.
    Thanks
    After speaking to several places they all said that they'd never had to do valve stem seals on an 850 ,have you had your codes read?, looked at your spark plugs?. Mine where black when I changed them, I also changed the turbo, but I'm not convinced there was anything wrong with the old one.

i thought it might be slightly perished valve stem seals or turbo seals

This user has no status
    Thanks
    After speaking to several places they all said that they'd never had to do valve stem seals on an 850 ,have you had your codes read?, looked at your spark plugs?. Mine where black when I changed them, I also changed the turbo, but I'm not convinced there was anything wrong with the old one.

Not yet Tc doing tomorrow in the workshop, anti roll bar,steering rack boots,oil filter,oil and plugs will then put it on diag to see what faults i have apart from abs/tracs ecu being ££££ed

Thread Information