Join Today
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Volvo 760 GLE (2.8l 6cyl) engine also went in to the Delorean & the Renault Alpine GTA, However the Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo had a 2.4v6 dunno where from. 740 Turbo 2.3 4cyl inj. 760 turbo 2.3 4cyl inj. 760 GLE 2.8 V6 injection. V6 was unreliable due to cylinder head warping. PROMISE!!!! lol
    .....sooper moose. '97 850R manual. Yum yum.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The 2.8 V6 was actually a colaboration in the late seventies between Volvo, Peugeot, Renault and Talbot. My mate had a 760 turbo estate which had a 4 pot 8-valve in it . Prior to that he had a much older 760 saloon which had the 2.8 v6 in it so it would seem that everybody is right ! The renault 25 turbo was also a v6 of 2.5 litres which may be the same donk which ended up in the Renault Alpine.

This user has no status

Thanks
    To rap this all up, I am a mechanic and in our work shop we have lots of charts telling things like the amount of oil to put in a certain car and the differant modles.And there was a volvo 760 v6 and a 760 turbo.So there you have it, The End

This user has no status
    Thanks
    So What Engine Was Fitted To The 7 Series In The Vid.
    That Certianly Had Some Poke To It?
    Wish My 850 Could Do That!.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oliwally
    So What Engine Was Fitted To The 7 Series In The Vid.
    That Certianly Had Some Poke To It?
    Wish My 850 Could Do That!.
    I dont know,but man that car riped like f"*k. I spect the 2.3 8v turbo engine was modded right up. 400bhp it said in the video did'int it! Ass end drive rules.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    But That Was A 2000cc 16 Valve?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hopefully to try and clear up some confusion.

Volvo's model Numbering system all went pear shaped with the 760 Turbo.

For a long time the 2nd digit in the model number denoted the number of cylinders fitted. Hence the name 850 due to 5 cylinders.

Of course the more cylinders the more luxurious the car was.

However when the 760 first Came out, it originally was launched with the 2.8 V6 engine (B280E) 170bhp, the PRV collaboration with Peugeot and Renault..

But Volvo had been quite sucessfull in turboing the 4 cylinder 2.1 (B21ET) engine in 240's. They applied this science to the 2.3 4 cylinder engine, and decided that it was such a fine engine they had to offer it aswell in the 760. Hence the 760's turbos came with (B23ET) 182BHP engines.

A year or so later the 740 range was launched as the bog standard cars, with very little equipment compared to the 760's fully loaded specs.

The 740 range mainly consisted of 2.3 Carb engines (B230K) 114bhp
    As the years went by and carbs faded away a 2.0 Petrol Injection took over (B200E) 114bhp
    They also decided to launch a 740 Turbo version which came with the (B230ET) 182bhp engine.

around the late 80's volvo decided that it was time to do something with there single overhead cam 8v engines so they dabbled with this new fangled 16v Technolgy and the 2.3 16v engine known as the B234F with 155bhp was released. This clearly shows how well the head flowed. a near 40bhp increase was not to be sniffed at.

Now some markets in europe (italy) where cars were taxed heavily if over 2.0 in size led to volvo making the B204FT. a 2.0 16v Turbo with (204bhp) yes the same figure a standard sierra cosworth made at the time!!!

Unfortanley due to the location of the turbo on the 16v turbo, this engine could never be offered to RHD markets as the turbo sat where the steering collom came through the bulk head, which was a shame as you could imagine the fun the advertising exectives at volvo could have had with comparisons to the cosworth. Maybe the volvo tuning scene would have kicked off back then with these cars.

The 740/760 ranges were superceeded with the 940& 960 range and the engines mainly stayed the same, except there was now some engine renaming The B230ET became the B230FT a 2.3 Turbo Injected engine that met current emmision standards, which is why the power dropped to 165bhp from 182bhp.

Also a budget B200FT 8v engine was made which made 155bhp, meaning the costly 16v engine was killed off, and for pure bargain basement level a B230F n/a engine was introduced with not a lot of power.

The 960's soldered on with either the v6 or turbo engines for another year until the straight 6 cylinder porsche designed engines came into play. The whiteblock engines as there known were the test basis for the 850 engines abeit with an extra cylinder.

The impressive 740/760 turbo video where it roasts it tyres round a few rounabouts near a motorway, is a 2.5 4cylinder 16v engine with one hella large turbo.

Oh and as for putting an 850/70 series engine in a rwd car, if someone wants to donate me an engine, i'll gladly put one in mine as all it requires is some custom engine mounts, taking the 960 oil pan and shorten it down a bit to fit the 5pot engine. This then gives you clearance over the steering subframe as your going from a transverse to longtitude layout. A 5 speed gearbox from the Whiteblock 960's will bolt straight to the back of a 5 pot engine. then its the simple task of wiring up the engine managment.

Voila a T5 with RWD.
    Last edited by Chesh740R; Sunday 30th April 2006 at 01:23.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Thanks Chesh for clearing that up!
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks

Thumbs up

Yep cheers mate. You know your volvo's. Just so get this right, a 5 pot engine will fit in rwd 760 with a few changes to sump and mounts? What about engine mangarment, I take it you have to use the 850's 1?

This user has no status

Thanks
    As for Ecu systems, the cheapest method is to take the ECU from the donor engine vehicle.

This can be a bit of a headache and seem very daunting, but with some time spent poring over wiring diagrams it can easily be achieved. You just need to ensure that all engine sensors are traced back to the fuel and ignition ecu's.
    Any wires left over, you should be able to determine what they do from wiring diagrams.

I can't quote for certain on T5 wiring set up, but on other engine swaps i've done the ECU system wiring is pretty much self contained and can ussualy be swapped over and then all that is needed is to provide it with Earths and Postives, of the Switched variety, and some hooking up to exsisting FI compents like the fuel pumps. However you must ensure the fuel pumps are of the same Delivery capabilty as the T5.

Of course using the Standard ECU system allows you to get the car started quite quickly and then you have further access to the remapping companies should you wish to extract more power than stock.

However of course the best option is too buy an aftermarket programable ECU system, this is where you would need to do some research, as i'm not sure which companies support 5 Cylinder engines. Look towards the Audi Quattro tuners or swedish tuners of T5's. This way you can future tune any further modifications you do and seeing as the engine bay is bigger you can fit a header and remove the restrictive exhaust manifold that is stock on t5's due to space constraints.

Enjoy the build, i'll get round to dropping a 5 pot engine in something RWD at some point, but i'm not done with the old 4 pot engines yet. I forsee myself playing with 16v turbo redblocks once i've finished my 8v turbo project.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesh740R
    As for Ecu systems, the cheapest method is to take the ECU from the donor engine vehicle.

This can be a bit of a headache and seem very daunting, but with some time spent poring over wiring diagrams it can easily be achieved. You just need to ensure that all engine sensors are traced back to the fuel and ignition ecu's.
    Any wires left over, you should be able to determine what they do from wiring diagrams.

I can't quote for certain on T5 wiring set up, but on other engine swaps i've done the ECU system wiring is pretty much self contained and can ussualy be swapped over and then all that is needed is to provide it with Earths and Postives, of the Switched variety, and some hooking up to exsisting FI compents like the fuel pumps. However you must ensure the fuel pumps are of the same Delivery capabilty as the T5.

Of course using the Standard ECU system allows you to get the car started quite quickly and then you have further access to the remapping companies should you wish to extract more power than stock.

However of course the best option is too buy an aftermarket programable ECU system, this is where you would need to do some research, as i'm not sure which companies support 5 Cylinder engines. Look towards the Audi Quattro tuners or swedish tuners of T5's. This way you can future tune any further modifications you do and seeing as the engine bay is bigger you can fit a header and remove the restrictive exhaust manifold that is stock on t5's due to space constraints.

Enjoy the build, i'll get round to dropping a 5 pot engine in something RWD at some point, but i'm not done with the old 4 pot engines yet. I forsee myself playing with 16v turbo redblocks once i've finished my 8v turbo project.
    a man of knowledge allways very usefull,can the b5234ft engines be run on a twin carb/weber alpha injection set up

SIGNATURE COURTESY OF STORM TROLL

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T5ER
    a man of knowledge allways very usefull,can the b5234ft engines be run on a twin carb/weber alpha injection set up
    Not really on a twin carb/weber setup as there are only 4 injectors and 4 butterfly's. You would need them to sell a setup that had 5.

That would perhaps be a nice setup if you were building a Naturally aspirated Engine, so of course you would need to start with a different base engine as the compression ratio's of the Turbo engine would be all wrong to start with.

If you were wishing to stay Turbo Powered You could of course build a custom plenum chamber for the 5 pot and fit the intake end with the largest Throttle body you could find, but wether the gains over a stock T5 Intake manifold would be worth the extra cost i'm not sure.

Best bet would be to equip the standard 850 Intake with the Throttle body from a 960 6 pot engine and port it out to gain optimum flow. As for the gains over stock again, probably marginal for the cost/time spent.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave
    740 had the B230K/FT engine. 760 had the V6 B280K/FT engine
    It's all going a bit anorak-ky..... ;-)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by househooligan
    I dont know,but man that car riped like f"*k. I spect the 2.3 8v turbo engine was modded right up. 400bhp it said in the video did'int it! Ass end drive rules.
    Have heard of a guy that put a V8 Ford in it

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gilesij/Volvord/

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Babybadger
    Have heard of a guy that put a V8 Ford in it

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gilesij/Volvord/
    Now that's what im talking about! Hours of don nut fun!

Old Fart
    Weston on the Mud Somerset or in it if you get the tide wrong.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    Both wrong the 760 was is a 2.8L peugeot V6. Only produced 188bhp.

BTW Welcome
    Yup I had a 760 and it had a V6 Peugeot lump in it. It was nice to drive, I had the engine's ends go just on my way to a party, Vicars and Tarts, I was dressed up like Father Jack, when the recovery bloke came he thought I was the real thing. He treated me really well, that was until my other half came out dressed up as the Pope. The tears were rolling down people's faces when they found out.

We got a replacement engine and spent £300 getting it fitted, then the MOT came around and the steering rack failed, went it was cheaper to sell it for what I could get than spend more money on it.

But as a work horse it did us proud while we had it.

Welcome to the boards have fun.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Whats wrong with a 960 saloon or estate, a V90 or S90?

2.5 or 3.0 litre, 6-cyl, 24 valve and so cheap ATM. Just buy one and save yourself the arse of trying to engineer a conversion that was never intended. If I was after a big, lazy, petrol saloon that's what I'd be getting . . .

J

Glad im Back -D
    Thanks
    It's a 2.3 litre four pot with a cast iron block and a aluminum single over head cam head with 2 valves per cylinder. The cast iron block is tough and quiet. The cam is timed by a belt which is very quiet and has to be replaced every 50,000 miles or else it may break and then the valves will hit the cylinder resulting in catastrophic engine failer. But apperently if you change the belt every 50,000 miles the engine will run very long reliably and efficiently. The turbo is a real upgrade. It makes more power, lower down, uses less fuel, makes less noise, and has lower emissions. The motor has a bosch fuel injection system turbo with intercooler, and behind the turbo there is a catalytic converter and two mufflers run one after another. So very quiet and clean and efficient. The motor makes 160hp at 5800rpm, and 180 foot pound of torque at 2800rpm.

I found this on the net!

1998 C70 T5 GT Auto, 68k, FVSH, Immaculate inside and out, only mod - poly top mount, its Yellow and no pete i didnt paint it, lol

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    It's a 2.3 litre four pot with a cast iron block and a aluminum single over head cam head with 2 valves per cylinder. The cast iron block is tough and quiet. The cam is timed by a belt which is very quiet and has to be replaced every 50,000 miles or else it may break and then the valves will hit the cylinder resulting in catastrophic engine failer. But apperently if you change the belt every 50,000 miles the engine will run very long reliably and efficiently. The turbo is a real upgrade. It makes more power, lower down, uses less fuel, makes less noise, and has lower emissions. The motor has a bosch fuel injection system turbo with intercooler, and behind the turbo there is a catalytic converter and two mufflers run one after another. So very quiet and clean and efficient. The motor makes 160hp at 5800rpm, and 180 foot pound of torque at 2800rpm.
    Shame there's not much information there.

Get in touch with The Mac Doctor now.
    (Covering Norwich and Norfolk)

This user has no status

Thanks
    What Chesh says. But as I think he also knows but did not mention, if you bolt the 5 potter straight onto a whiteblock M90, the dizzy fouls the bulkhead.

Thread Information