Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Sea spray damage ?

Hi all, bit of an odd one here..

Was off on my weekend away, a road gets flooded twice a day due to the tide coming in, was driving around 1.30am and came to the road and it was a bit flooded. Having my little one in the car and it being so late i didn't want to hang about for an hour or so till the road cleared, and other cars were coming through so i went for it.

Kept the revs really high and eventually got through, about 400m worth of road i guess, but there was a lot of water getting thrown over the car and i can only guess the level was somewhere near the middle/top of my wheels.

Came through it, stopped for a bit, checked everywhere i could think of, no water had come in or anything. Then proceeded to drive a further 250miles that night at varying speed levels without any problems.

I was just wondering if anything could have been damaged, i.e with salty deposits (oo-er!) ? Everything seems to be fine, turbo is fine, car was running beautifully all weekend, just a bit concerned.

Are there places that you can take your car to to get the engine/bay cleaned out or anything ? Or do you think that's overkill ?

Thanks,

Azza
    2001 c70 T5 Convertible Manual

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I would just jetwash the underside of the car to remove salt. get into the calipers too..!!
    Other than that there should be no prob..!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I agree with Splatt would be worth cleaning the underside and probably all the door sills as well if the water was that deep

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Cheers guys, that's reassuring that there shouldn't be any other problems. Luckily it wasn't high enough to actually come through the doors, it was a nightmare, really shook me up as i basically killed a car i had ages ago by trying something similar, although that was a crappy old Vauxhall Cavalier, not a nice shiny T5!

I'll be giving her a thorough clean this weekend. It's OK to jetwash the underside like that ? I won't point it too close to anything of course...I was hoping for masses of rain so it would wash it all away but it failed to materialize this weekend!

Azza
    2001 c70 T5 Convertible Manual

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Azza
    Cheers guys, that's reassuring that there shouldn't be any other problems. Luckily it wasn't high enough to actually come through the doors, it was a nightmare, really shook me up as i basically killed a car i had ages ago by trying something similar, although that was a crappy old Vauxhall Cavalier, not a nice shiny T5!
    ....Chavalier....one less is not a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Azza
    It's OK to jetwash the underside like that ? I won't point it too close to anything of course...I was hoping for masses of rain so it would wash it all away but it failed to materialize this weekend!

Azza
    It will be fine, as you say....dont get it too close to seals/bearings

Thread Information