Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

850R suspension a bit soggy/worn

My 850R auto has done 143k & i'm sure the suspension is past its best as you can feel the front shocks bottom right out when you hit bumps sometimes,the shocks don't do much anymore,not damping very well & the ride is as bumpy as anything if not on a totally smooth road. It has the self leveling nivomats on the rear.

I want to renew the suspension either with the original stuff but i expect thats stupid money for OE, or a koni suspension kit but i'm not interested in lowering it anymore than a standard ride height 850R. How do you get round the rear self leveling as i don't care wether i retain it or not.

Anyone give me some advise or know where i can buy a decent kit, i still want to retain a decent ride quality.

Thanks Simon.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    This weekend I find myself in exactly the same position with my 855R. After taking the front suspension off to do CV boots, the NS driveshaft going to require a huge press as it isn't going to budge, I decided that everything bar my drop links is completely shot.

I don't have any need for lowering the car or to make it handle like a circuit racer and I'm not too concerned about the self levelling rear.

Hopefully someone will steer us in the right direction

This user has no status

Thanks
    Unfortunatrly suspension isn't my forte but if you want to go down the orginal R spec route then it might be worth talking to Marshall's as they will be able to give you the best dealership price.

x

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've dropped a line to Oliver and a few other places for prices. Would be nice to use Volvo control arms though.

I managed to get the driveshaft out of the hub by the application of my 10 tonne hydraulic puller and me swinging off it like a Gorilla

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by simonc
    My 850R auto has done 143k & i'm sure the suspension is past its best as you can feel the front shocks bottom right out when you hit bumps sometimes,the shocks don't do much anymore,not damping very well & the ride is as bumpy as anything if not on a totally smooth road. It has the self leveling nivomats on the rear.

I want to renew the suspension either with the original stuff but i expect thats stupid money for OE, or a koni suspension kit but i'm not interested in lowering it anymore than a standard ride height 850R. How do you get round the rear self leveling as i don't care wether i retain it or not.

Anyone give me some advise or know where i can buy a decent kit, i still want to retain a decent ride quality.

Thanks Simon.
    Where in Kent do you live?
    I think with some minor adjustments you can get rid of nivomats and stick on normal shocks. Springs are cheap but shocks vary. I'm getting Bilstein 10% stiffer than oe ones for my T5 estate all for £250. Springs i got £109 40mm.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi, i'm in Herne Bay.

I phoned Don at Kalmar Union Volvo tuning & he suggested Bilstein with eibach springs which would lower it a touch more. Is that where your getting yours ?

Simon.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Hi, i'm in Herne Bay.

I phoned Don at Kalmar Union Volvo tuning & he suggested Bilstein with eibach springs which would lower it a touch more. Is that where your getting yours ?

Simon.
    No. Got my springs and getting my shocks from PFV online.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    I see PFV do a koni kit with springs for £459

Simon.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Am i right in saying to swap from nivomat self leveling to normal rear shocks & new springs the only thing different needed to mount the new shock is a new top mount.

Simon.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi just fitted gaz fully adjustable ride hight and preload and damping also adjustable camber springs and shocks all round thay are the ££££££££ got them for £800 from Zeneth Swansea

...here we go again...
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Am i right in saying to swap from nivomat self leveling to normal rear shocks & new springs the only thing different needed to mount the new shock is a new top mount.

Simon.
    YES!

Thread Information