Join Today

Thread: Stone Chips

This user has no status
    Thanks

Stone Chips

Before I get jumped on (not what you think if you're a Yank reading this ), I understand that 850's will innevitably have stone chips with the number of miles under its cambelt, but...

Does anyone have some sure fire tips on improving/hiding the stone chips on the nose?

The previous owner has tried to use a colour pen on a ding near the fuel cap and it looks poor.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Depends on colour - mine is black, and Simoniz black polish works a treat! Before it just highlighted the chips using ordinary "white" polish.
    Simoniz black polish is also very good on dark plastic trims too! - i.e. bumper inserts etc.

Fun in the twisties!
    We take the "be polite" rule very seriously!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Red red red - glorious 850R red...

This user has no status
    Evesham, Worcestershire - nowhere near Birmingham......
    Thanks
    tip-ex on mine. No - halfords do a repair kit - match the colour, fill with the undercoat pen, leave to dry and then go over with the top coat (polar white in my case). Not brill, but if done right - should get a decent finish.
    855R manual, turquoise

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I had mine sorted by the local Chips Away franchise holder. I am told that these can vary widely in ability but the guy who did mine made a great job of it.

Came to my work place, had heaters, pavillion/tent to work under so weather not an issue. Charged £67 including a few other minor items around the car, paint in the gun so I suppose there is no set up issue.

I canvassed my workmates and got a number of people lined up so it was well worth his while. Maybe you could do the same? Or maybe something could be arranged at a meet if enough people were interested.
    Martin

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"

280 RICA
    ITG Panel filter
    Volvo strut brace

This user has no status
    Thanks

Wink Stone chips

Use full strength paint for the vehicle and dab the paint into the chip after cleaning it. Use a piece of masking tape folded to a point and apply one drop at a time. Once close to the hight of the surrounding paintwork top off with the laquer. By this point it should be just proud of the surrounding paint. Allow it to dry overnight if possible or force dry with heat but allow a couple of hours. Take some 1600 to 2000 wet n dry paper and using a small rubber block (an old bonnet bump stop is good) nib down the touch in with plenty of water. Now use some cutting compound to 'polish' the area and bring back the shine. Jobs a good un! I know it is a lot of work but it is worth it beleive me.

Thread Information