Join Today

Thread: CD/MP3 changer

This user has no status
    Thanks

CD/MP3 changer

Does anyone know if this CHA-S634 Alpine changer would work with the SC805 premium sound system as fitted in the 850 CD T5?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Don't take this as gospel but I think you'll probably need a protocol adapter if you are replacing the Volvo unit with the Alpine. They cost £50-60.

This user has no status
    Thanks

Hmmm!

Hi Ivan, I hate to sound ignorant but what is a protocol adaptor? I don't intend to change the radio/tape/Cd player in the car just add a CD changer in the boot as there isn't one. I just thought this was a good one as it will also play MP3 format disks.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have just had the Alpine CHA-S630 put in mine £220 supply and fit to standard head unit SC801?
    Greg. 35 Year old pair of legs...

This user has no status
    Thanks

Question connections

Does the 1997 T5 CD estate have the connecting lead already installed in the loom? I read on one of the threads that it is under one of the panels in the boot/tailgate section. I have had a look but couldn't see anything. i looked at the back of the unit in the dash and there is a small roundlooks like six pin connector on the back but no cable? My stereo is the SC 805 premium sound system.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mailee
    Hi Ivan, I hate to sound ignorant but what is a protocol adaptor? I don't intend to change the radio/tape/Cd player in the car just add a CD changer in the boot as there isn't one. I just thought this was a good one as it will also play MP3 format disks.
    The Protocol adapter changes the interface to the CD remote. If you originally had a Volvo CD remote (i.e. changer), and you swap if for an Alpine, although the original Volvo was a rebadged Alpine it didn't quite speak the same language. The protocol adapter, translates the Alpine CD changer into the Volvo format.

I don't know what happens if you didn't have a changer to start with tho -sorry!

This user has no status
    Thanks

Now I see

Thanks Ivan, I now understand a little more. It looks like I should really go for a Volvo changer if I don't want to spend the extra on a protocol adapter. I did look them up and the cheapest was £60! It then looks like I will need a lead to connect it to the original stereo although I don't know the price of this yet, but all in all it looks like it would be far cheaper to go for a second hand volvo unit off e-bay. Apparently from what I can find out from searching the Alpine 634 MP3 unit will not work with the Volvo anyway so it would have to be the 630. I can buy the 630 Alpine for £100 but then another £60 for the adapter and whatever the lead costs so I think it would be wise to go for the e-bay alternative. Thanks for all the info Ivan at least I know which way to go now.

Thread Information